• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Seat back not staying set....any tips to rectify?

DarcyB

When you say the seatback isn't staying in place, do you mean it flops forward or does it move when you are sitting in the seat (easy to say, hard to write)?

Check the seatback release lever cable that runs in (2) plastic pulleys in the seat to see if the cable needs tightening.

IMG_8988_zpscc73ad6d.jpg

There are two thick tabs welded to the seat bottom frame that limits the amount of travel at the hinge and catches the seat release lever.  The tabs can break and allow the seatback to twist back when sitting in the seat.

IMG_8981_zpsa6bbe209.jpg

Jim Gerock

Riviera 69 2002 built 5/30/69 "Oscar"

The seat back angle is adjusted by a ratchet and pawl assembly that's inside the chrome or black (depending on the car's year) assembly that's fastened to both sides of the seat, connecting the cushion (bottom) to the back.  Sounds like either the ratchet or the pawl are either worn or out of adjustment, so the the pawl doesn't completely engage with the ratchet's teeth.  If it's only feeling loosey-goosey on one side, I'd suspect the cable that allows the adjustment lever to release both sides is out of adjustment.  

It's been a long time since I've had a seat apart, but the mechanism is simple and the problem should be evident when you delve into things.  Just remember that if you remove the reclining mechanism from both sides, observe carefully their relationship while still connected to the transverse bar that joins 'em.  They are NOT parallel to each other; if you reassemble 'em that way, the mechanism won't work.  I learned this lesson the hard way.

Let us know whatcha find...

cheers

mike

'69 Nevada sunroof-Wolfgang-bought new
'73 Sahara sunroof-Ludwig-since '78
'91 Brillantrot 318is sunroof-Georg Friederich 
Fiat Topolini (Benito & Luigi), Renault 4CVs (Anatole, Lucky Pierre, Brigette) & Kermit, the Bugeye Sprite

Here are some pictures I took when dismantling my 69 seats (it is very easy, just be careful of the very sharp tangs that secure the covers).

As Mike Self comments above, make sure to pay attention to where the splined connection rod is positioned when putting the left and right hinges back together.  If they aren't aligned correctly, the seat can be put in a twist.

This is the driver's outer hinge.  The horizontal bar with spring is the seatback angle adjustment lever.  It allows the seat back to be fixed in one of the teeth on the outer part of the hinge.  The release "tilt" cable pulls up on the strap and makes the bottom hook rotate to release the lock on the bottom frame (the thick metal tabs that sometimes break).  Note the little spring at the bottom that keeps the locking lever in the forward position.

IMG_9110_zpse4c2c10c.jpg

Here is the cable connection that releases (lifts) the seatback so it can tilt forward.  Next picture below is the driver's side inner hinge.

IMG_9109_zps475b0076.jpg

IMG_9114_zps8fdb6eb7.jpg

IMG_9111_zpsa9c0c2a8.jpg

Jim Gerock

Riviera 69 2002 built 5/30/69 "Oscar"