• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Major differences between 1502 1602 etc

AlexK

Hi all!

I'm kinda new around here, and I have a few questions. The first, and probably most important one is: are there any major differences between the different models of 2002? I'm just looking to buy a "roundie", but later I would most like convert it to a m2, and I can't decide which model (1602, 1502, tii) should I buy as a base.

Thanks!

Earlier has lighter shell and is simpler. Some of the later roundie (72-73 )upgrades such shoulder belts are a pleasant addition. Guess the follow up question is whether you prefer a civilized street car or more of a track oriented build?

Welcome and good luck with your journey...

MF

73 sunroof 2002 (past)  |  73 CSi (present)  |  FAQ Member #2538

2002 decals (mofaraz.com)     |     eBay

There aren't any tracks in my region at all, so I don't think once-a-year track driving would be worth the lack of everyday practicality. I would still love to keep the car as simple as possible, but three point belts (adding them in the back) and an audio system are a must.Any suggestions? Is there a topic (I already searched a lot) where those differences are explained? I would be happy if you help me!

Buy this book: http://www.amazon.com/BMW-02-Restoration-Guide-guides/dp/1855204517

Not only will it answer your questions about the differences in model it will also help you buy a good one.

rtheriaque wrote:

Carbs: They're necessary and barely controlled fuel leaks that sometimes match the air passing through them.

My build blog:http://www.bmw2002faq.com/blog/163-simeons-blog/

Where are you Alex? It helps if you put your location in your profile. As you can see, I am not in the U.S. either - there are members here from all over the world.

You can probably find this (or order it) at a bookshop near you. I don't think it is available as an ebook but to be honest it is worth owning a real copy of.

rtheriaque wrote:

Carbs: They're necessary and barely controlled fuel leaks that sometimes match the air passing through them.

My build blog:http://www.bmw2002faq.com/blog/163-simeons-blog/

Main differences are the motors of course. 1600's didn't have sway bars in the U.S. I'm guessing neither did 1502's.

I would jus concentrating on finding the best shell. You'll be swapping/upgrading most of the parts anyways.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

- Project 67' 1600-2

- Pig Cheek 71' 1602

1502s were kinda de-contented as they were built in the closing days of 02 production as "entry level" BMWs priced below the recently introduced E21 3 Series cars.  They had deleted exterior trim, no sway bars, etc.and were never imported to the US, so are pretty much unknown here.  

mike 

'69 Nevada sunroof-Wolfgang-bought new
'73 Sahara sunroof-Ludwig-since '78
'91 Brillantrot 318is sunroof-Georg Friederich 
Fiat Topolini (Benito & Luigi), Renault 4CVs (Anatole, Lucky Pierre, Brigette) & Kermit, the Bugeye Sprite

• 2 months later...

1502 is a squarie since it was only made 75-77. You need to look for models pre -73 to get an original roundie.

For your planned conversion it doesn't matter much which model you start with but there are differences that you should learn about.

Highly recommended to get one of those books first.

Tommy

Racing is Life - everything before and after is just waiting!

I would jus concentrating on finding the best shell.

This. And if possible i'd choose one that has openinig quarter windows on doors. Sway bars you probalbly upgrade anyways (1502 does not have them) and lighting relays are rather easy to do if going roundie.

2002 -73 M2, 2002 -71 forced induction. bnr32 -91