• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

the twin turbo, 3002 TTiiL is on eBay

zinz

+1 mlytle and others:  given the availability of the cash, I'd not hesitate to buy it.

Cheers,

Carl

p.s.  hmmmmm,  looks like he used some of that silver spray paint I've been hearing about elsewhere ......

I have a can in garage! I can run it by Centro Basco next time you're there.....=)

This car is an absolute bargain at $105K. I can assure you that Paul easily has a quarter of a million dollars into the build and everything on the car is 100% top-shelf and one-off. Anyone who is looking at this car and appraising its value as merely "a $105K 2002" is respectfully missing the point completely. This is not just an '02. Instead, this is a one-of-a-kind work-of-art and an engineering tour de force that just happens to use a BMW 2002 as a foundation. If I had another garage space and didn't have a page-long wish list of home improvements (and if I was single!), I don't think I could resist. I have a couple of pretty nice '02s, but I told Paul years ago that his was hands down the most desirable that I had ever laid eyes upon...and I meant it wholeheartedly.

As is evidenced by the predictable jeers, mock abject horror, and other displays of thinly veiled contempt that are produced here every time a very expensive 2002 is sold or put up for sale: Once again, the FAQ is a great place, but for the most part we are not the market or the target audience for this echelon of car (despite the fact that the "My other car is a" thread produced some very serious iron!). Whoever buys this rolling sculpture and technological Masterpiece is not going to be thinking along the lines of "WTF?! For that money I could buy a Fill-In-the-Blank!!" Because he/she will already have several, if not more, Fill-in-the-Blanks, isn't constrained by the either/or considerations that most of us face and is not looking at this purchase as a sensible or rational buy. This will be bought as an emotional impulse by a passionate collector who can afford to add eclectic, bespoke pieces to his/her stable without conducting a banal cost/benefit analysis. Nobody here (or there) is right or wrong...just different values and outlooks along with different budgets to finance them...

HAPPY THANKSGIVING!

COOP

Edited by COOP

This car is an absolute bargain at $105K. I can assure you that Paul easily has a quarter of a million dollars into the build and everything on the car is 100% top-shelf and one-off. Anyone who is looking at this car and appraising its value as merely "a $105K 2002" is respectfully missing the point completely. This is not just an '02. Instead, this is a one-of-a-kind work-of-art and an engineering tour de force that just happens to use a BMW 2002 as a foundation. If I had another garage space and didn't have a page-long wish list of home improvements (and if I was single!), I don't think I could resist. I have a couple of pretty nice '02s, but I told Paul years ago that his was hands down the most desirable that I had ever laid eyes upon...and I meant it wholeheartedly.

As is evidenced by the predictable jeers, mock abject horror, and other displays of thinly veiled contempt that are produced here every time a very expensive 2002 is sold or put up for sale: Once again, the FAQ is a great place, but for the most part we are not the market or the target audience for this echelon of car (despite the fact that the "My other car is a" thread produced some very serious iron!). Whoever buys this rolling sculpture and technological Masterpiece is not going to be thinking along the lines of "WTF?! For that money I could buy a Fill-In-the-Blank!!" You know why not? Because he/she will ALREADY HAVE several, if not more, Fill-in-the-Blanks, isn't constrained by the either/or considerations that most of us face and is not looking at this purchase as a sensible or rational buy. This will be bought as an emotional impulse by a passionate collector who can afford to add eclectic, bespoke pieces to his/her stable without conducting a banal cost/benefit analysis. Nobody here (or there) is right or wrong...just different values and outlooks along with different budgets to finance them...

HAPPY THANKSGIVING!

COOP

Maybe too much caffeine this morning?  Take a deep breath.  Seriously.   Have a great day.

www.alpinabmw2002.com

Edited by markmac

first off i doubt the person selling it is going to get $105k for it. second if you ever get a chance to see this thing up close it is awesome the attention to detail is amazing. it really looks like it was shipped to munich for a complete Mcar update/resotoration the pictures dont do it justice.

The level of work it takes to fully restore a vehicle is far beyond what most people can comprehend.  A box stock complete, show ready resto. on an 02 requires an absolutely insane amount of attention to detail.  High quality paint and interior alone could be $30k.  Never mind all the additional metal fabrication, custom machining and re-engineering required to make all the disparate pieces work together.

Agreed that $100K is low ball park for something so unique.  When it comes to custom work, the old adage is never more true.  It is worth what someone is willing to pay.  To the right buyer, that 02 comes cheap.

Bottom line.  If I say something is crap, it is no more or less valid an opinion than you thinking it is fantastic.  However, most people wouldn't be able to just go plunk down that kind of cash on anything they might want, and that does put your opinion into perspective.

Jose

Edited by DaHose

Cheap for the quality and level of engineering and build, but as suggested, more art than 02. Doesn't really float my boat (I think the 02 soul of your m2 is far nicer Coop). For me less is usually more - personally it would have been nicer without the turbos and just a well prepped 3.0 naturally aspirated screamer.

I also think the painful name has always put me off along with the head banging roll cage, I never understood why it was so low.

But regardless how we all envisage our perfect modded 02 it's a stunning motor that should go for the BIN price in a heart beat.

avaTour2.jpg.52fb4debc1ca18590681ac95bc6f527f.jpg

Cheap for the quality and level of engineering and build, but as suggested, more art than 02. Doesn't really float my boat (I think the 02 soul of your m2 is far nicer Coop). For me less is usually more - personally it would have been nicer without the turbos and just a well prepped 3.0 naturally aspirated screamer.

I also think the painful name has always put me off along with the head banging roll cage, I never understood why it was so low.

But regardless how we all envisage our perfect modded 02 it's a stunning motor that should go for the BIN price in a heart beat.

Hi Nick! You're very kind to put my M2 in the same conversation as this beauty! I do prefer the overall concept of my car, I must admit...especially the fact that it weighs 400 lbs less than this twin turbo beauty...but I'd like to own them both!

Lol, I have to agree with you about the "painful" name of the car, it is a bit goofy! I think I'd badge it the same as a factory Turbo if it were mine, or perhaps de-badge it altogether...and you make a good point about the low bars on the roll cage, I didn't notice that!

Despite these small niggles, I still find myself recklessly weighing the longevity of my marital status against the possibility of irresponsible stock sales!

Anyways, I guess I had better decaffeinate myself now and "take a deep breath" so I can "have a great day" lol. Finally Nick, I want to arrange a time to visit you in France and have been discussing it recently...would love to see you and your paradise.

Best,

COOP

PS: I don't know why, but I love how Brits refer to a car as a "motor!"

Edited by COOP

then I saw the transaxle.

It's worth it.

t

Is that from a 944? I remember I was looking into a 944-ish power train a few years back but I thought the 944 had an integrated transmission and diff?

'79 & '80 Vespas, R75/6 + R90/6 (and a Triumph), '76 IH Scout II

E36 

'71 VIN: 2574356 - Nevada, Sunroof, RUST and a really nice '76