• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

2.0 + 5-speed from E30

noboco

Not sure where you are located.. In the US we did not get a 2.0 liter e30. Further, I believe there were only two 2.0 liter variants of the e30, one with an M20 motor (6-cylinder) and one with an S14 motor (4-cylinder, 16-valve engine). Do you know what gearbox or 2.0 liter motor your 2002 has? Would love to see photos. 

In the US it is common to use the Getrag 245 5-speed gearbox from an e21 320is as an upgrade to the 2002's 4-speed gearbox. 

To answer your question, yes, people do often put S14 or M20 motors into 2002s. Usually when they change the motors they also use a 5-speed gearbox. 

Cheers.

'79 & '80 Vespas, R75/6 + R90/6 (and a Triumph), '76 IH Scout II

E36 

'71 VIN: 2574356 - Nevada, Sunroof, RUST and a really nice '76

...yes, I bought a couple of 114's, but it's been years...

OP, what's your real question? 

(You can use the E30 trans, but you'll need something for a speedo- there's no drive on the E30 one)

t

"I learn best through painful, expensive experience, so I feel like I've gotten my money's worth." MattL

OK, thanks guys for your answers, especially KFunk :P

I started to post here: http://www.bmw2002faq.com/blog/188-finally-i-have-it-02-1968/

But maybe I should just start a thread on the forum?

My car is a 1968 Type 114, it was originally a 1602, but the previous owner put a 2.0 from 2002 http://scr.hu/9zza/068xh

Additionally I have a 5-speed transmission from E30 as an upgrade for the 4-speed.

And there goes my question, did anyone use this transmission with the 2.0 ?

Nice mock-ups. What is the original color? I lean towards keeping early cars closer to stock in appearance, but I also like period correct mods like Alpina flares and two tone paint jobs (like you mocked up.)

My only suggestion is to leave the turbo flares for the square light cars. Not that it looks bad, It's just one of those little nuances I carry around.

Regards,

Jason

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

- Project 67' 1600-2

- Pig Cheek 71' 1602

Thanks jmr_1602, I have a couple more ideas, I will post them soon.

What about the round light cars? Leave them or no?

BTW Your build looks great :) How long did you work on it?

I don't know the name of the original color, maybe you can help me:

WAxhZU-YdunF5Gvabx4Bxa6jKYGDAxpaxojVOHdR

y71wr-49CBfTSfQwdEsCbBKyn-F9IY_SlYXqqd9d

Edited by noboco

You can email andreas.harz@partner.bmwgroup.com your VIN number and he will respond with your build/delivery date and original paint code.

My build took a little less than a year. Doing all the bodywork myself. A friend helped me paint it.

"What about round light cars? leave them or no?

Are you thinking about replacing them with the later square lights? Generally round lights are more desired. I'd leave them alone.

It looks like you have a good shell to work with. I look forward to seeing your other ideas.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Edited by jmr_1602

- Project 67' 1600-2

- Pig Cheek 71' 1602

Thanks, I will email Andreas and see what I can find out.

I'm not that skilled, nor have any of the necessary tools to do the job myself :P 

About the round lights. I was reffering to your statement about the flares, do you think I should get rid of them because I have round lights?