• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

2.0 + 5-speed from E30

noboco

If you ever need something I have a good friend in Legnica. He's a Mercedes guy but knows his way around BMWs as well. 

I'm sure others will correct me if I'm wrong but it looks like it was originally an automatic car as the tailpipe cutout is in the center. 

'79 & '80 Vespas, R75/6 + R90/6 (and a Triumph), '76 IH Scout II

E36 

'71 VIN: 2574356 - Nevada, Sunroof, RUST and a really nice '76

Thanks Simeon, that's correct those are Solex, I had Webers before, I got them mixed up.

You use these?

I have had a pair of Solex PHH side drafts on my shelf for years that I may get around to fitting eventually. The later styles of Solex and Mikunis are good carbs. Very popular with Japanese car owners. I think some 'builders' like Alpina and Heidegger used to specify those carbs over Webers at various times. If they are in good condition and you have all the jets you will be pretty happy.

rtheriaque wrote:

Carbs: They're necessary and barely controlled fuel leaks that sometimes match the air passing through them.

My build blog:http://www.bmw2002faq.com/blog/163-simeons-blog/

Nope, only later cars had a center tailpipe cutout.

I have a 5-speed transmission from E30 

I can think of at least 3 4 5 different variants on the 5- speed transmission that went into the E30.

And I'm sure I don't know about half of them.

WHICH 5 speed are you proposing?  

Post a pic-

The 1.8l M10 5 speed works fine, it just lacks a speedo output.

The M3 5 speed might also work.  If you don't mind cutting the tunnel.

The M20 versions probably won't.  

t

"I learn best through painful, expensive experience, so I feel like I've gotten my money's worth." MattL

The E30 never got the M30- but the M3 trans is similar to what was behind the M30...

...and yes, the M30 trans bolts up, but doesn't fit so well in the tunnel!

t

"I learn best through painful, expensive experience, so I feel like I've gotten my money's worth." MattL

• 3 weeks later...