• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

1969 BMW 2002 SOLD

lajolla1963

Interesting car. Based on what I know (still learning), just because the cylinder head is stamped "121 T1 (or TI)" doesn't mean that it was originally from a 2002ti.

+1

Both '02s and ti's have used the 121ti heads. The engine number (on the flat boss just aft of the starter) determines whether an engine was originally a ti engine. If it's different from the chassis number, just plug it into the 2002 Club of Columbia VIN decoder and the results will show whether it is a factory ti engine.

GLWS,

Steve

1976 2002 Polaris, 2742541 (original owner)

1973 2002tii Inka, 2762757 (not-the-original owner)

I am going to head over to friends house today to confirm and will post once I confirm. I appreciate the info.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

And to be totally honest, I'm not certain how much a factory ti block matters. To me -- someone who loves history -- I would place a higher value on an original ti block as compared to a standard, "non-ti", block. But why? Aren't they identical? Unlike a tii block, which at least came from the factory with an oil drain hole for the Kugelfischer, isn't a ti block absolutely the same as any other 2-liter block? OK, the ti block, if it still has the original piston set, might have higher compression ratio pistons. But even if those original ti pistons survived 44 years, they're probably at the end of their lives and/or the block may need an oversize piston by now. So you chuck the original pistons and you're left with what ti components?

It reminds me of a story I once heard. A guy picks up a hammer from his tool box, shows it to his buddy, and says, "This hammer has a lot of meaning to me: it was my grand-dad's hammer, passed down to me through my dad." The buddy says, "Yeah? But the handle and head look pretty new." And the guy says, "Sure: my dad and I both had to replace the handle and head, but it's still my grand-dad's hammer!" Sometimes the memory is more important than the physical reality.

Enough deep thoughts for today!

Steve

1976 2002 Polaris, 2742541 (original owner)

1973 2002tii Inka, 2762757 (not-the-original owner)