• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Help with a VIN (2574356)

winstontj

I've just about made up my mind to part & scrap this thing... Is a '71 nevada worthwhile to save for any purposes? Not necessarily value but for history/rarity? 

'79 & '80 Vespas, R75/6 + R90/6 (and a Triumph), '76 IH Scout II

E36 

'71 VIN: 2574356 - Nevada, Sunroof, RUST and a really nice '76

When I bought my 2002tii (RHD) I punched my VIN in to REALOEM just to find that it was bringing up a whole different vehicle. I even spoke to my local BMW reps and they had no clue!!!

Anyway after researching I came to the conclusion that BMW did not have a standardised VIN numbering system till like somewhere in the 80's. And when they finally did they recycled some of the old 7 digit VIN numbers in to the new VIN numbers. Which is why when I search for my car it turns up as a 7 Series E32. Nevertheless an email to the archives in Germany reassured me of the authenticity of my car. 

Anyway, this is my theory unless someone else has a better explanation.......

Raj

Edited by rapandi

Raj

1972 BMW 2002 Tii - Golf Yellow

When I bought my 2002tii (RHD) I punched my VIN in to REALOEM just to find that it was bringing up a whole different vehicle. I even spoke to my local BMW reps and they had no clue!!!

Anyway after researching I came to the conclusion that BMW did not have a standardised VIN numbering system till like somewhere in the 80's. And when they finally did they recycled some of the old 7 digit VIN numbers in to the new VIN numbers. Which is why when I search for my car it turns up as a 7 Series E32. Nevertheless an email to the archives in Germany reassured me of the authenticity of my car. 

Anyway, this is my theory unless someone else has a better explanation.......

Raj

I'd bet, Raj, that the 2002 Car Club of Columbia's VIN decoder would bring up accurate information. It will not, however, have the date specificity of the Archives data; it will, rather, give you a 3 to 12-month date range -- which will nonetheless be accurate.

Unlike Mercedes Benz, which had 14-digit VINs at least by the '50s, BMW was a small, relatively low production firm until...the '70s, when things took off!

Regards,

Steve

1976 2002 Polaris, 2742541 (original owner)

1973 2002tii Inka, 2762757 (not-the-original owner)

Mike, mine was originally Nevada as well, and will be again at some point in the future...Bet they had a surplus of Nevada paint in May 71:)

Bet you're right!  BMW was notorious for using up parts (and paint) on the assembly line before they switched to the newer or later part.  That included paint also.  I don't believe they ran paint in batches, because I ran across another '69 whose VIN was one number away from mine--and it was red.  The car was unfortunately wrecked and parted out, but I have the VIN plate from atop the steering column.  Interestingly, my car was sold new in Queens NY, while the red car was sold new in San Francisco...

mike

'69 Nevada sunroof-Wolfgang-bought new
'73 Sahara sunroof-Ludwig-since '78
'91 Brillantrot 318is sunroof-Georg Friederich 
Fiat Topolini (Benito & Luigi), Renault 4CVs (Anatole, Lucky Pierre, Brigette) & Kermit, the Bugeye Sprite

Well that's that. 

"The BMW 2002 US VIN 2574356 was manufactured on May 28th, 1971 and delivered on June 01st, 1971 to the BMW importer Hoffman Motors Corp. in New York City. The original Colour was Nevada, paint code 001. 

I guess my next question is how did any car get from the assembly line in Germany to NYC four days later? Cool that Nevada is paint code 001... Starting to question scrapping this shell more and more... ughhh... 

'79 & '80 Vespas, R75/6 + R90/6 (and a Triumph), '76 IH Scout II

E36 

'71 VIN: 2574356 - Nevada, Sunroof, RUST and a really nice '76

Well that's that.

"The BMW 2002 US VIN 2574356 was manufactured on May 28th, 1971 and delivered on June 01st, 1971 to the BMW importer Hoffman Motors Corp. in New York City. The original Colour was Nevada, paint code 001.

I guess my next question is how did any car get from the assembly line in Germany to NYC four days later? Cool that Nevada is paint code 001... Starting to question scrapping this shell more and more... ughhh...

"Delivery" is solely delivery of legal title, not the actual car. "Delivery" always pre-dated the car being physically shipped because the risk of loss -- as well as the possibility of gain -- passed from BMW to Hoffman Motors at the time title was delivered. And there was no NYC Port of Entry for BMW's: NYC was the legal domicile, and headquarters, for Hoffman Motors. Cars went by ship to the U.S. and, much like today, the elapsed time from manufacturing date to delivery at a retail dealer ranged generally from 6 to 10 weeks. There were Ports of Entry on both coasts.

Uh-oh, sounds like you're getting attached to this baby...

Regards,

Steve

Edited by Conserv

FWIW, my inka 2577438 was manufactured 9/1/1971 and registered as a 1972.

And that is 100% correct. U.S.-spec '02s manufactured after July of the calendar year were generally the following year's models. The factory was closed for August, however, so the new model year generally began on or about September 1. I'd say you have a very early '72 model.

Regards,

Steve

And that is 100% correct. U.S.-spec '02s manufactured after July of the calendar year were generally the following year's models.
And it's my understanding from posts on this site (Mike?) that VIns were set up in blocks by model year.  My vin is 2578xxx and came off the line 15-20 Sept 1971 (drove it out the door Sept 21).  I call it the 71 but by VIN it is designated a 72.

A radiator shop is a good place to take a leak.

I have no idea what I'm doing but I know I'm really good at it.

And it's my understanding from posts on this site (Mike?) that VIns were set up in blocks by model year.  My vin is 2578xxx and came off the line 15-20 Sept 1971 (drove it out the door Sept 21).  I call it the 71 but by VIN it is designated a 72.

Yes, Jim, BMW would call your car a U.S. 1972 model, and most September '72 '02s wound up titled and registered as '72s. If you have two dates from BMW Archives, the first is the manufacturing date, the date your car was completed. The second date is the date legal title transferred from BMW to the importer -- Hoffman Motors, I would suspect -- which had to occur before you took delivery, as you were likely buying it "from" Hoffman, under BMW's agreement with Hoffman, which included most European deliveries of U.S-spec cars.

Regards,

Steve