• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Bad news. Scrap or is it worth saving? (lots of pics)

winstontj

I have an old Alfa that I'm in the process of restoring. While the metal repair is not as extensive as yours, I can tell you that you are looking at a huge number of hours to do that job well. As a hobbyist, I get some evening time to work on the car, as well as some weekend time between family obligations (ie. not completely neglecting a wife and child.) I'm over a year into metalwork (floor pans, rust patching, quarter panel replacement, suspension mount strengthening, rocker replacements, etc..) and I'm not done yet. Don't get me wrong, I'm totally enjoying the learning and the process as a whole, but it is not for the faint of heart. It's a massive amount of work.

That would be a sound project car in the UK!

For sure!

My Touring has worse areas, and they will be fixed.

Pretty sure the shock tower rust came over from the UK and I've driven this all over the past 15 years here. Did wonder why it rode a little lop-sided.

Beware of Tourings with carpeted shock towers!

post-32042-0-04003900-1449696690_thumb.j

post-32042-0-26576200-1449696694_thumb.j

Les

'74 '02 - Jade Touring (RHD)

'76 '02 - Delk's "Da Beater"

FAQ Member #17

Might as well fix it. Just do a rolling restoration on it. Something where you can do a little here and a little there. Scrap value is way down right now ($20 or $30 a ton I think...), so it's not like it hurts if you go have some fun with this thing!

-Nathan
'76 2002 in Malaga (110k Original, 2nd Owner, sat for 20 years and now a toy)
'86 Chevy K20 (6.2 Turbo Diesel build) & '46 Chevy 2 Ton Dump Truck
'74 Suzuki TS185, '68 BSA A65 Lightning (garage find), '74 BMW R90S US Spec #2