• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

VIN Mismatch should I be concerned

Posaune

This got by me when i was checking the car over during sale.  Car is rust free and otherwise solid but the VIN engraved in the fender doesnt match the vin tag riveted in on the passenger side tag by the strut mount.  VIN1 matches title, riveted VIN tag, and steering column.  VIN2 matches engine and fender engraving.   Car is automatic and the VIN2 vin shows up as auto but VIN1 vin shows up in the decoder as a manual car.  I dont care about "collector" status.  Just want to drive the car.  Title is clear and matches the riveted VIN tag (VIN1).  There's no tag on teh door I can find (due to repaint I assume).  Are there any other VIN locations to check?  Do I care if i just want a driver and not focused on resale?  Is it feasible that the engraved fender/body piece could be welded into a car with a different VIN tag?

Welcome to the club! Sounds like your car was made from two cars. My car had a similar mismatch.

I asked a similar question earlier this year. I ultimately elected to go through the state process to get the title changed to reflect the vin stamped into the inner fender. I didn't have a riveted vin tag next to it.

I figured this was the only one that couldn't be easily moved from car to car.

Brent

1974 2002 - Megasquirt and turbo

2018 BMW M2/ 2013 Porsche Cayenne Diesel

Welcome to the club! Sounds like your car was made from two cars. My car had a similar mismatch.

I asked a similar question earlier this year. I ultimately elected to go through the state process to get the title changed to reflect the vin stamped into the inner fender. I didn't have a riveted vin tag next to it.

I figured this was the only one that couldn't be easily moved from car to car.

Interesting and thanks for the note.  I saw your previous thread but it seems counter intuitive to change the title so it DOESN'T match the vin tag idk.  Not sure which would create more confusion.    I would just chalk it up to an engine swap except for the engraved fender.  Are there are other VIN locations?

There is a small riveted-on VIN tag on the top cover for the steering column. Although it's in the passenger compartment, it is visible through the windshield.

Regards,

Steve

EDIT: I see, you've found that one already. Someone moved the two riveted-on plates from, I'd guess, a wrecked or rusted-out car. And they brought the title along with it. This isn't a problem unless someone chooses to make it a problem: a police officer, a state inspection station, a potential buyer. The chances of someone else noticing it are relatively small but it could be a real headache if found by someone else, particularly a police officer. I would figure out the process to correct VIN errors in your state and deal with it now.

Edited by Conserv

1976 2002 Polaris, 2742541 (original owner)

1973 2002tii Inka, 2762757 (not-the-original owner)

There is a small riveted-on VIN tag on the top cover for the steering column. Although it's in the passenger compartment, it is visible through the windshield.

Regards,

Steve

EDIT: I see, you've found that one already. Someone moved the two riveted-on plates from, I'd guess, a wrecked or rusted-out car. And they brought the title along with it. This isn't a problem unless someone chooses to make it a problem: a police officer, a state inspection station, a potential buyer. The chances of someone else noticing it are relatively small but it could be a real headache if found by someone else, particularly a police officer. I would figure out the process to correct VIN errors in your state and deal with now.

Thanks.  Yeah either way I would have to explain a VIN mismatch.  I can change it to the engraved VIN but then would have to explain the riveted tag being different.  

Thanks.  Yeah either way I would have to explain a VIN mismatch.  I can change it to the engraved VIN but then would have to explain the riveted tag being different.

The "chassis VIN," i.e., the VIN stamped directly into the right inner fender, is the most secure and tamper-resistant VIN. Thus, many states would prefer to follow that VIN. The engine number, on the other hand, is probably of the least interest to any titling or registration authority. The "correction" of these VIN discrepancies, however, varies from state to state. I would first do my research and then, probably, lay out my facts to my state's titling and registration authorities.

I believe that most VIN discrepancies arise NOT due to car theft, fraud, etc., but because people find it convenient to, for instance, swap a good title onto a car without a title or with a more sound body. Still, law enforcement authorities WILL assume the worst upon noting differing VIN's on a single vehicle.

Regards,

Steve

1976 2002 Polaris, 2742541 (original owner)

1973 2002tii Inka, 2762757 (not-the-original owner)

Yeah , definitely sounds like a two-car combo.

Are the two VINs from different years? It might be that your true VIN (engine/matching fender engraving) is a later model, and the swapped-in VIN (steering pad/riveted plate) is earlier/older -- perhaps done for emissions qualification reasons...

Where we goin’? … I’ll drive…
There are some who call me... Tom too         v i s i o n a u t i k s.com   

If it was me, I'd surreptitiously see what I could find out about the real (stamped) vin before I went much farther.

There's a statistically real chance it's been reported stolen or destroyed.

Auto theft was one of the really popular things in the '70's and '80's...

If it's clean, then you can see about getting things to match up.

t

"I learn best through painful, expensive experience, so I feel like I've gotten my money's worth." MattL

Were it mine, I think I'd go with correcting the title to match the engine VIN and the stamped VIN on the fender, both of which, according to your post, match.  That's most  likely the car's original VIN since it started life as an automatic.  You can always have a new riveted fender plate stamped/engraved to match the car's real VIN; same with the tag on the steering column.  

The only drawback is that it will show--to the knowledgeable--that the car was originally an automatic, converted to stick. Bu to most folks that won't really make a difference--and you have to be pretty up on 2002s to quickly recognize an automatic VIN vs a stick VIN.  

Good luck--most DMVs will make such changes if you provide sufficient proof that the car isn't stolen or something else nefarious.  I suspect that the VIN that's currently on the title belongs to a car that no longer exists.

mike

'69 Nevada sunroof-Wolfgang-bought new
'73 Sahara sunroof-Ludwig-since '78
'91 Brillantrot 318is sunroof-Georg Friederich 
Fiat Topolini (Benito & Luigi), Renault 4CVs (Anatole, Lucky Pierre, Brigette) & Kermit, the Bugeye Sprite