• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

When good carbs go bad......

Guest Anonymous

Guest Anonymous

bbqdrive73.JPG

URL: http://www.zeebuck.com/02bc/index.htm

happened before the pertronix was installed. I seem to recall you burning through a few other ramflo filters over the past year. I recall it has nearly always had cold start issues as well.

So, let's break it down...

You've swapped the carb and rebuilt the head since the last burned filter incident, so maybe that is not where to look. Your carb and jetting are the same as on my own car (Creighton D stylee) and I too have a pertronix and I have never had that particular problem. Even with the lean-running emissions-passing jetting, I've never had flames out the carb unless I really messed with the timing (done for scientific purposes only, I might add). ;-) I used exactly the same method to set your timing after installing your pertronix that I use on my own car, too.

Perhaps I/you was/are looking at the wrong timimg mark on the flywheel? I kinda recall it wasn't so clear. On my car, I can definitely make out the ball. On yours, I only saw something bright that I assumed was the ball. But if that was the case, the timimg by ear/trial-and-error method should still work much better, yes? And you have fiddled with timimg since, yes? I'd hope so, 'cause I installed the ignitor over a month ago.

Maybe run it without the vacuum advance connected for a while, see how that goes... or try another dizzy.

I am leaning toward something like maybe the dizzy advance mech is hooped? Or, maybe the spark plug wires are cross-firing (might be hard to see that 'cause they are inside the loom tube)? But then, they are fairly new... (hmmm, better make sure they are on the right cylinders! ;-)) But then how's the cap? Maybe a hairline crack or a carbon trace?

Cam timing? Valve sticking open? Nahh. That's freakishly low probability stuff.

The only way to *really* know what the dizzy is doing would be to double-check (by looking at the cam) - and make very visible - a TDC mark on the flywheel or pulley, then use an adjustable timing light to map the actual rpm/timing curve. I can look up the factory RPM vs timimg specs if you need them.

I know you drove it for a while after replacing the head but before converting to pertronix and it ran OK - but why did it burn filters before the head job, too? What could have changed besides the pertronix? Or, more importantly, what has stayed the same? You can always go back to points for a while to see if things are better, but make sure you time it exactly the same to isolate the true cause of the problem.

Whatever the cause of the problem, it will no doubt be the last thing you check.

regards,

Zenon

Guest Anonymous

fae043db.jpg

URL: http://cgi.ebay.ca/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=2445359299

Is that I also replaced mt badly worn out iming chain when I did the head. The old one was noisy as hell, and I swear it could have jumped off the cam sprocket without much problem. I blame that for the previously burned filter. I say filter, as it only burned through 1 of them.

After the new head and chain were installed, I drove the car to Oregon and back, as well as all over the lower mainland, without a hiccup, or a fart. It was definitely the chain causing the previous backfires. I cold started the car dozens and dozens of times between the Oregon trip, and installing the Pertronix. It was pull choke, pump gas once, and turn key. Always started flawlessly. It didn't start backfiring until the day we "tuned" it. I'm passing that off as a big coincidence though, as I really don't blame you, or the Pertronix. It's a big old fluke.

I did use my own timing light after I left your place that day, and it was different than yours. I advanced it quite a bit, yet the backfires still exist. I will likely follow the advice of Crazy eddy, and throw my timing light into the ditch. I've also checked the advance, and it is working fine. My steel ball has seen the tip of a screwdriver several times, and is actually quite easy to see. Perhaps you were seeing the wrong mark? Either way, I can see it fine, and I know it is set to factory spec now.

My dizzy was a Wray Nixon rebuild/recurve, and is still in great shape. As I said, it was working perfectly betwen Oregon and your place. Wires are very new still. They have MAYBE 3500 miles on them, and the car runs willingly to redline, and never has a miss.

I'll figure it out, but I just don't have very much time these days, and I don't really care that much. The point of this post was to show off my new "flame surfacing", not a call for help, although it is always appreciated.

Al

Guest Anonymous

fae043db.jpg

URL: http://cgi.ebay.ca/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=2445359299

I can't be a bad 02 parent. Hell, I just spent 10 hours rolling around on a garage floor, fixing up that old beater 75. I even gave it a fancy new LSD. Perhaps the 76 is jealous? If that's the case, just wait until I start on the Volvo. Uh oh....

I'll get to the 76, one of these days. It's too cold to drive it now anyway. It's very happy to be covered up in the garage. Where does YOUR 02 spend the winter months, huh????

Al