• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Nice '72 tii on Bat

walkinfool

All replacement nose panels are NOT because of an accident. Assuming so is foolish.

In those regions of the States where the climate is perpetually dry and treeless then maybe the car was involved in an accident. BUT, in all other regions it is very possible that road conditions(ie road SALT in the winter) and accumulating tree leaves and "stuff" in the lowest seam of the panel and not cleaning the drain slots in that area created RUST! And then the owner had the nose section replaced.

That's my story and I'm stickin' to it.

mac.

All replacement nose panels are NOT because of an accident. Assuming so is foolish.In those regions of the States where the climate is perpetually dry and treeless then maybe the car was involved in an accident. BUT, in all other regions it is very possible that road conditions(ie road SALT in the winter) and accumulating tree leaves and "stuff" in the lowest seam of the panel and not cleaning the drain slots in that area created RUST! And then the owner had the nose section replaced.That's my story and I'm stickin' to it.mac.

Hey, Mac,

+1

Couldn't agree more! If you go back to the eBay listing I earmarked in my Swapping Noses thread, "special recognition" is provided for the number of rusted out noses, EVEN IN SOUTHERN CALIFORNIA!

http://www.bmw2002faq.com/topic/176074-swapping-noses/

Regards,

Steve

Edited by Conserv

1976 2002 Polaris, 2742541 (original owner)

1973 2002tii Inka, 2762757 (not-the-original owner)

Lacking any accumulated debris in the front apron below the radiator core, California cars also rust under the battery box. 

I've seen otherwise pristine cars with bubbles and rust-through in this area on many occasions.

OK, TOO many occasions.

1973 2002tii - gone

Inka (aka "Orange Julius")

1974 2002tii - gone

Polaris (aka "Mae West")

1991 318is (aka) "O'Hara")

Brillantrot - High Visibility Daily Driver

BMW CCA #1974 (one of the 308)

deliawolfe@gmail.com

Least we all never forget the driver side frame rail over the years sloshed with brake fluid stripping the inner protective coating.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=NiZqi-cPbbo

You can fill up that frame rail with bondo and no one will know.  Trust me.

1973 2002tii - gone

Inka (aka "Orange Julius")

1974 2002tii - gone

Polaris (aka "Mae West")

1991 318is (aka) "O'Hara")

Brillantrot - High Visibility Daily Driver

BMW CCA #1974 (one of the 308)

deliawolfe@gmail.com

---Chris, who is allowing himself one more beer before bedtime.

Cheers to you cda951.  I'm hoisting one up in honor of this post.

My 74tii has a snorkle and I know all of the history behind it.  Rear ended someone back in the 80's in the rain on HW1 in Santa Cruz going about 10 MPH in stop and go traffic.  Still drive it daily and love it!!  I think having that imperfection has actually allowed me to enjoy the car the way it was meant to be enjoyed... Drive the crap out of it :)

That's not to say that folks with pristine cars don't drive the crap out of them too,  At least I hope they do.  

Edited by JohnS

'73tii Inka 🍊

'74tii Fjord 🏄‍♂️

My 73 tii has a snorkel, but it also has the correct 73 bumpers, and the plastic 74 grill.  It was born 7/21/1973, so I suspect it was born with the 74 grill.

I know the nose was replaced in the distant past because I had to correct some other accident damage, such as having the front subframes properly welded.

It will be very interesting to get all the feedback from this group when it goes up for sale in the spring after a 5 year restoration in my garage.

When I started this project it was never my intention to sell it.  I built it for my own use, to my own liking.  However, after I was deep into the project we made the decision to move to Belgium.  I can't take the car with us.

When you ladies and gentlemen see the car for sale this spring, remember you heard it here first.  Be honest, but be kind.

Cheers!

Michael

the left tower, at least, appears to have body filler.

yeah, that, for me, would be the big red button push right there that would trigger a PPI.

Bondo there is a huge brown flag about the whole deal.  And it might be nothing.  But...

Who am I kidding- I'd buy a couple of E46 M3's before I'd buy a $40k tii. 

But that's because it's me, not because a really good tii isn't worth $40k.  To someone...

The snorkel on an E46 is bolt, on, btw...

Remember the 'dimples' fight a good few years back, now?

hee

t

v 1.0, as well.  No, wait, .9, I don't think we ever got out of beta.

And yes, Bill, it's your fault I read this while thread!

"I learn best through painful, expensive experience, so I feel like I've gotten my money's worth." MattL

My 73 tii has a snorkel, but it also has the correct 73 bumpers, and the plastic 74 grill. It was born 7/21/1973, so I suspect it was born with the 74 grill.

Michael,

Does your car have round or square taillights? When it left the factory, the front end certainly matched the style of the rear end: a.) plastic front grilles and square taillights or b.) aluminum front grilles and round taillights. Is it a U.S.-spec car? If yes, and it's VIN begins with 276..., it certainly left the factory with a round taillight nose (i.e., aluminum front grilles). If yes, and it's VIN begins with 278..., it certainly left the factory with a square taillight nose (i.e., plastic front grilles). If it's not a U.S.-spec car, what is its VIN. With a VIN, even the 2002 Club of Columbia's VIN decoder can distinguish a round taillight from a square taillight car.

Regards,

Steve

Edited by Conserv

Steve:

VIN is 2764445.  It is a roundie, a euro spec car as near as I can tell.  The fuse box matches the euro spec wiring diagram and not the US spec wiring.   BMW says it was delivered on 7/21/73 at the factory.  The car has a few other anomalies such as no badge on the rear panel......no holes, either, one was never applied......and the 74 type of K-fish system with the decel valve and vacuum retard dizzy.

There is a badge on the rear deck now because I replaced the trunk lid with one from a 76.

I believe euro-spec square light cars have plastic grills like this 1500 I saw in Bruges, Belgium a few years ago.

Cheers,

Michael

post-39920-0-27356500-1453646235_thumb.j

post-39920-0-45804200-1453646258_thumb.j

Steve:

VIN is 2764445. It is a roundie, a euro spec car as near as I can tell. The fuse box matches the euro spec wiring diagram and not the US spec wiring. BMW says it was delivered on 7/21/73 at the factory. The car has a few other anomalies such as no badge on the rear panel......no holes, either, one was never applied......and the 74 type of K-fish system with the decel valve and vacuum retard dizzy.

There is a badge on the rear deck now because I replaced the trunk lid with one from a 76.

I believe euro-spec square light cars have plastic grills like this 1500 I saw in Bruges, Belgium a few years ago.

Cheers,

Michael

Thanks, Michael,

Yes, all square taillight cars, U.S. AND Euro-spec, had plastic front grilles and, of course, square taillights (just like the Euro-spec 1502 in your photos). And all 276... VIN cars were, by definition, U.S.-spec tii's of the 1972 or 1973 model years. And all 276... VIN cars were round taillight cars. So yours was a U.S.-spec round taillight tii the day it was manufactured.

But....since yours was not legally titled over to Hoffman Motors, or any of the other authorized concessionaires who could deliver a U.S.-spec car -- but was, rather, legally delivered to the factory -- perhaps it became a road-test, test mule, or quality-control car, and was subsequently modified by the factory. And who knows, did the factory release the car for public sale AFTER the '74 model year tii was in production and somehow need to meet emissions standards for '74 model year cars, and hence the vacuum retard distributor and its associated controls? Alternatively, the car was altered -- intentionally or accidentally -- by a subsequent owner, prior to you, assuming you are not the original owner. There are today, I will point out, a considerable number of cars with mis-matched noses, many of which were installed simply because the "new nose" was available at a time when the car needed a new nose due to rust or other damage. And there are any number of '72-'73 tii's that today sport the '74-style accumulator, airbox, and even, occasionally, vacuum retard distributor (but generally the '74 accumulator's extra port has been plugged and the vacuum limiter valve has been removed).

I suspect we will never know the full story behind your, and many other (most other?) '02s. I'd love to know the real history of my '73 tii. But as I always say, a LOT happens to a car over 40-50 years!

Best regards,

Steve

Edited by Conserv

• 2 weeks later...