• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Need Cage Nuts for drivers side mirror

rdeeble

Well went to the body shop today to try to install the mirror and there is no sign of the cage nuts... just the factory holes with the little notch to the side.

I understand that cage nuts have been NLA for sometime.  Anyone have some from an old door...  or other suggestions on installing the standard drivers side mirror on a 76?  

Any help would be greatly appreciated!  - Robert

'76 02 (Nellie) daily driver since '94

'76 02 (Oscar) sunroof restore since '10

Slowly building a $20,000 $4000 car

If it "ran when parked" you wouldn't have parked it!

If you didnt have the existing holes Id loan you my nutsert tool. Its been all over the world. I guess you could drill just behind the existing holes and use the nutsert but it wouldnt be correct.

www.BluntTech.com
FAQ Supporting Vendor
 Sales@BluntTech.com

kinda feel like getting the tool just to say it eventually went to my place too (like the gnome in Amélie) but hate the thought of even coming near my newly painted car with a drill....   : |

'76 02 (Nellie) daily driver since '94

'76 02 (Oscar) sunroof restore since '10

I bought some from Maximillian a year or so ago.  I think.

I always do it right the second time.

1970 2002 Chamonix (Fiona)

1976 2002 Chamonix (Blanche), '73 2002 Colorado (Nemo), '72 2002 Riviera, '74 2002 Atlantik, '71 1600 Sahara (Binkley) all sold

Hmmm...if Blunt can't get them then I guess they are NLA.  Maybe try WallothNesch.com.   They could stick them in the mail (from Germany unfortunately).

If you do locate the nuts be aware that there is a trick to installing.   They are delivered with the nut below the détente.   It should be ABOVE.   If you insert as is, the cage distorts, effectively ruining the part.

post-38825-0-47301600-1453240188_thumb.j

73 Inka Tii #2762958

They worked great. I actually had oem cage nuts from blunt but they started to work loose after a couple years so I replaced the oem cage nuts with these aftermarket ones I just happen to have laying around and they have been great for the last couple years

Jack nuts available on Amazon

Edited by Stevenc22

1976 BMW 2002 Chamonix. My first love.

1972 BMW 2002tii Polaris. My new side piece.