• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Need Cage Nuts for drivers side mirror

rdeeble

Is it possible to just reach from behind and put a regular nut on it?

Nope. There's a second layer of steel, inhibiting access with a nut or tool, as I recall. I find this NLA cage nut business to be a super bummer. I think I have *one* left, in my stash. Better not lose that one. :(

Paul Wegweiser

Wegweiser Classic BMW Services

Nationwide vehicle transport available

NEW WEBSITE! www.zenwrench.com

Another dumb question:  Can they be removed/reused at all?  I'm just wondering if I need to be finding some too and putting in an order.  I know I have two in my old door, but the door that's currently at the body shop... well I don't know if it has them.  

Bring a Welder

1974 2002, 1965 Datsun L320 truck, 1981 Yamaha XS400, 1983 Yamaha RX50, 1992 Miata Miata drivetrain waiting on a Locost frame, 1999 Toyota Land Cruiser

Is it possible to just reach from behind and put a regular nut on it?

To correct the record, yes it is absolutely possible,  There is a corresponding clearance hole in the metal rail just behind the mounting holes.  That said, if you have the window installed, it would be impossible.  Just do it before installing anything else in the door.   It won't be particularly easy, but certainly do-able.  I just checked on my '76 doors which are in primer, and both passenger and driver's side have the clearance holes. 

It is what I intend to do, since I have only one set of the original cage nuts.

Harold

To correct the record, yes it is absolutely possible,  There is a corresponding clearance hole in the metal rail just behind the mounting holes.  That said, if you have the window installed, it would be impossible.  Just do it before installing anything else in the door.   It won't be particularly easy, but certainly do-able.  I just checked on my '76 doors which are in primer, and both passenger and driver's side have the clearance holes. 

It is what I intend to do, since I have only one set of the original cage nuts.

Harold

Ah, thank you.  I will try to make sure this is done before the window goes back in the car.

Bring a Welder

1974 2002, 1965 Datsun L320 truck, 1981 Yamaha XS400, 1983 Yamaha RX50, 1992 Miata Miata drivetrain waiting on a Locost frame, 1999 Toyota Land Cruiser

They squash like a molly fastener for plasterboard, so they aren't easily reusable. It might be possible to deform them enough to remove them from the original mounting hole, but I wouldn't depend on them providing a secure mount the second time around.

This is exactly what I mentioned in my previous post. I don't think they were intended to squash. I destroyed a few along the way, until I realized that moving the nut above the detente allowed the outer edges and the inner(nut) to converge on the door's sheetmetal to grip until firmly mounted. I've never had an issue since.

Take a look at the picture I posted on page1 of this topic.

73 Inka Tii #2762958

If the fasteners weren't intended to squash, why did the factory install them that way?

I don't know?   I wondered that myself.   :wacko:

The détentes are not very pronounced so sometimes one side will hold and the other won't.  This causes an asymmetrical squash, destroying the cage nut.   One of BMWs lesser quality parts IMO.

Edit: I suppose that if the cage distorts perfectly, the nut is held firmly below the détentes.   Then the added distorted cage, along with the nut, abuts the sheetmetal to give a more secure fit.   I never found this to be an absolute scenario.   More luck than technique.

Edited by PaulTWinterton

73 Inka Tii #2762958

Were you able to buy just the nuts from them?

I was actually, they were not cheap as small parts go, but he was willing to sell them individually.  I had two good mirrors already otherwise I might of purchased the whole thing as they look beautiful.

'76 02 (Nellie) daily driver since '94

'76 02 (Oscar) sunroof restore since '10

I was actually, they were not cheap as small parts go, but he was willing to sell them individually.  I had two good mirrors already otherwise I might of purchased the whole thing as they look beautiful.

Thank you, I did shoot them a email and they don't have any spares at the moment but asked that I check back in a couple weeks. I'm in the same boat! My mirror is a perfect original, and although the mirror they offer is really nice (saw them at the Brisbane show), I would rather use what I have.