• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

What dealer originally sold your 02?

DerekZ4

I thought it would be fun to know which dealer sold your 02.

The one that I owned was sold by what some call a legend. Unfortunately it closed down shorty after the owners death around 1997.

Vasek Polak BMW in Hermosa Beach California in 1976.

image.jpg1_zps02h9vwuy.jpg

image.jpg2_zpsiclxpfkv.jpg

Edited by DerekZ4

My 2002 Tii was originally sold by Global Imports in Atlanta, GA. I'm the 3rd owner and it has never been owned outside of GA. At a recent Caffeine and Octane, they had some new cars they were showing, one thing lead to another and they want me to bring it by the dealership so they can put it in the showroom next to the current crop and take some pics.

'72 2002Tii Inka   2760698
'65 Porsche 356SC

I am the second owner of my 2002. It was originally sold by Murray BMW here in Denver, CO. As I was tearing her down for the re-build, I found the original Murray BMW emblem in the trunk. When the car is finished, I plan to drive her by Murray and show them the emblem from 1976.

Currently building a 1976 2002 "street" car. Not for the purist...

No idea, info has been lost to the ages, originally from CA, is all I know.

Andrew Wilson
Vern- 1973 2002tii, https://www.bmw2002faq.com/blogs/blog/304-andrew-wilsons-vern-restoration/ 
Veronika- 1968 1600 Cabriolet, Athena- 1973 3.0 CSi,  Rodney- 1988 M5, The M3- 1997 M3,

The Unicorn- 2007 X3, Julia- 2007 Z4 Coupe, Ophelia- 2014 X3, Herman- 1914 KisselKar 4-40

There is a website service where you can email your VIN and they will tell you where it was imported.

Send your info to this address and they will get back to you!

info.grouparchiv@bmwgroup.com

Mine: "was manufactured on March 20th, 1972 and delivered on March 24th, 1972 to the BMW importer Hoffman Motors Corp. in New York City"

Somewhere on its long journey it came to Socal and here it lies in my hands  :)

'86 e28 535i - Schwartz on Schwartz "Daily Driver"

'72 e10 2002 - In Progress "Go-Box"

There is a website service where you can email your VIN and they will tell you where it was imported.

Mine: "was manufactured on March 20th, 1972 and delivered on March 24th, 1972 to the BMW importer Hoffman Motors Corp. in New York City"

Somewhere on its long journey it came to Socal and here it lies in my hands :)

Almost all early BMW's were delivered to Hoffman Motor Corp. From there they went on to the dealership. Max Hoffman imported most of the European Marques to the states.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

- Project 67' 1600-2

- Pig Cheek 71' 1602

Almost all early BMW's were delivered to Hoffman Motor Corp. From there they went on to the dealership. Max Hoffman imported most of the European Marques to the states.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Welp, looks like the mystery continues!  Thanks for that interesting bit of history.

'86 e28 535i - Schwartz on Schwartz "Daily Driver"

'72 e10 2002 - In Progress "Go-Box"

Mine: "was manufactured on March 20th, 1972 and delivered on March 24th, 1972 to the BMW importer Hoffman Motors Corp. in New York City"[/size]

[/size]Somewhere on its long journey it came to Socal and here it lies in my hands :)[/size]

"delivered on March 24th, 1972 to the BMW importer Hoffman Motors Corp. in New York City" means solely that 4 days after its manufacture, and BEFORE it was shipped from Germany, legal title for your car was delivered to Hoffman Motors, the sole U.S. importer until BMW, North America ("BMW NA") assumed that role in early 1975, amidst law suits and counter-suits. Hoffman Motors was a New York corporation, legally domiciled in New York City (on Park Avenue, in Mies van der Rohe's Seagram Building). Both subsequent gain and risk-of-loss passed from BMW to the sole importer with the delivery of legal title. Delivery of title always preceded shipping. U.S.-bound '02s shipped to at least six Ports of Entry (POE), located on both coasts, the POE being dependent on the location of the retail dealer. All imported cars cleared U.S. Customs at their respective POE. New York City was actually not a POE for any '02s -- Elizabeth, NJ was the closest POE, used for retail dealers in the Mid-Atlantic and New England regions. '02s were not physically delivered to Hoffman Motors Corp. in New York City (although I believe Hoffman may have, at least earlier, had a New York City showroom for some of its imports, as a marketing tool). '02s were transported directly to retail dealerships by truck from their POE after they cleared U.S. Customs.

Sadly, Hoffman Motor Corp.'s records, showing both POE and delivering dealer, are long gone. A window sticker is the surest way to confirm the POE and dealer. Beginning with the inception of BMW NA, however, BMW actually knows the delivering dealer. But such information is apparently not resident with BMW Archives. It survives in another system, access to which is limited to certain BMW and BMW dealership employees (the great c.d., a major contributor to this forum, had access and quickly confirmed the delivering dealer of my '76).

Here's the window sticker from my '76, showing the POE, Elizabeth, NJ, and the retail dealer, Dick Horrigan Volkswagen. My purchase order is dated July 30, 1976. I don't know the specific date the car, manufactured April 23, 1976, arrived at the dealership, but it was in the first half of July 1976. Thus, 9 or 10 weeks elapsed between title delivery and physical delivery at the dealer. That is within the typical range.

Regards,

Steve

post-41123-0-31436600-1453433046_thumb.j

Edited by Conserv

1976 2002 Polaris, 2742541 (original owner)

1973 2002tii Inka, 2762757 (not-the-original owner)

German Imports, Birmingham ,Alabama.  Been gone for years.

Earl

Edited by Emyers

74 02Lux

15 M235i

72 Volvo 1800ES

People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf." -- George Orwell

My Touring was delivered to BMW Concessionaires GB Ltd, London, UK, on 19 Nov '73.

It was originally sold on 5 Sep '74 (long time in showroom!) by Eric G. Hunt Ltd, Leeds, UK to a Mrs Ivy Green. I am the 3rd Owner.

Les

'74 '02 - Jade Touring (RHD)

'76 '02 - Delk's "Da Beater"

FAQ Member #17

From BMW archives:

The BMW 2002 US VIN 2581713 was manufactured on March 14th, 1972 and
delivered on April 04th, 1972 to BMW Distributors (Western) Ltd. in
Vancouver, Canada. The original colour was Atlantik, paint code 041.

post-49353-0-04866100-1453435157_thumb.j

Edited by Beemeup

Anthony

----------------------------------------------------------------------

1972 2002 Atlantik

Bunch of old airhead BMW motorcycles