• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

What dealer originally sold your 02?

DerekZ4

As far as I can tell my car was sold at BMW Seattle in late 1976. Also found a gas receipt from 1977 in the glove box... I'll have to snap some pictures of it when I get home.  

76' Fjord Daily SOLD

1986 528e 5 speed Daily

"I don't have a piece of sh*t so I have to envy yours!" - Ferris Bueller

My car was sold to me by Europe By Cars Inc of Los Angeles. Selected the car out of a catalog and ordered March 1971 while living in Hawaii. Signed the Acceptance Receipt at BMW Munich Sept 22, 1971 with a full tank of fuel. Base price $2822 + First Aid Kit (BMW) $13 + Blaupunkt AM/FM radio $127 (worst radio I ever owned). POE Honolulu, HI $530 1/14/1972, Customs duty ~$75 (don't have my receipt). Shipped to LA 8/1974 and drove to Denver, via Oregon, Idaho, Montana, Wyoming and it's here now.

post-9282-0-48093100-1453479576_thumb.jp

A radiator shop is a good place to take a leak.

I have no idea what I'm doing but I know I'm really good at it.

Mike,

Even today, BMW cannot ship a car from Germany to Vancouver in 16 days -- assuming they got your car onto the ship the same day it rolled off the assembly line, which didn't actually happen. If your source for "Arrived in Canada Jan. 5 1972" is BMW Archives, I'd bet their actual language was closer to "delivered to," which is referring to delivery of legal title, not the physical car.

Best regards,

Steve

Hi Steve,

I found the information I rec'd from BMW rather vague  in that the time lapse did not make much sense. None the less that was it from them. Unfortunately they did not offer specifics as to where it landed, or more important to who, only the when. 

I guess the only way to figure this out is to get more info from BMW or the dealer (Vancouver Auto). Maybe that is worth more digging.

Let you know if I come up with anything.

Mike

CT, Andrew? Hmmm. We have a Portsmouth, NH POE for a car going to Cincinnati, but an Elizabeth, NJ POE for a car going to Worcester, MA. I'd guess Elizabeth, but could be wrong.

Regards,

Steve

Here's another for you Steve. My poor neglected project car.

post-32042-0-05426400-1453481341_thumb.j

Les

'74 '02 - Jade Touring (RHD)

'76 '02 - Delk's "Da Beater"

FAQ Member #17

My car was sold to me by Europe By Cars Inc of Los Angeles. Selected the car out of a catalog and ordered March 1971 while living in Hawaii. Signed the Acceptance Receipt at BMW Munich Sept 22, 1971 with a full tank of fuel. Base price $2822 + First Aid Kit (BMW) $13 + Blaupunkt AM/FM radio $127 (worst radio I ever owned). POE Honolulu, HI $530 1/14/1972, Customs duty ~$75 (don't have my receipt). Shipped to LA 8/1974 and drove to Denver, via Oregon, Idaho, Montana, Wyoming and it's here now.

Wow, Jim, $530 for shipping was a BIG BILL in '72, especially compared to the cost of the car! Do you recall how long the shipping took from Europe to Hawaii? (Love your comment on the Blaupunkt!)

Best regards,

Steve

1976 2002 Polaris, 2742541 (original owner)

1973 2002tii Inka, 2762757 (not-the-original owner)

Hi Steve,

I found the information I rec'd from BMW rather vague  in that the time lapse did not make much sense. None the less that was it from them. Unfortunately they did not offer specifics as to where it landed, or more important to who, only the when. 

I guess the only way to figure this out is to get more info from BMW or the dealer (Vancouver Auto). Maybe that is worth more digging.

Let you know if I come up with anything.

Mike

The "when" provided by BMW Archives, Mike, is when legal title passed to the importer, prior to actual shipping.

Regards,

Steve

Bought my 1600 (1562947) from Bel Camino Motors, Belmont, Ca on March 23,1969.  It was sitting in the corner of the lot all dusty and they seemed anxious to sell it since they had new 2002s in the show room.  It was registered as a 69, but it is probably a 68.  Out the door for $2,886.60.

My car was purchased at Phil Smart Imports here in Seattle. This is before it became Phil Smart Mercedes (and now Mercedes of Seattle). It has never left the Pacific Northwest.

If anyone has a Phil Smart Import license plate frame, let me know.

-David

1972 2002 - 2577652 Follow the fun

My Targa was sold through Lucar Dealership in Lucca, Italy. Surprisingly, the original key fob has stayed with the car.

This BMW dealership is still there, but now also sells Toyotas. Go figure.

post-41346-0-10059500-1453493893_thumb.j

Paul Huber

1972 2002 Baur Targa in Baikal & 1971 2002 Pickup in Silver/Surf

"The more you know, the less you need."

—Aboriginal Saying

Hoffman Motors had a showroom on Park Avenue that was designed by Frank Lloyd Wright. It was torn down several years ago as the city was contemplating giving it landmark status. In a sleazy move the developer rushed through a demolition permit before the Landmarks Commission could notify other departments.

The showroom had a revolving turntable and ramp to show cars in the tiny space. When Mercedes took over Hoffman's distributorship they operated the showroom.

As part of his fee Wright received a 300SL Gullwing and a 300 Sedan

http://hyperallergic.com/69023/the-shocking-demolition-of-frank-lloyd-wrights-park-avenue-showroom/

http://www.core77.com/posts/23921/maximilian-hoffman-the-man-who-made-mercedes-porsche-bmw-cool-23921

Hoffman Motors had a showroom on Park Avenue that was designed by Frank Lloyd Wright. It was torn down several years ago as the city was contemplating giving it landmark status. In a sleazy move the developer rushed through a demolition permit before the Landmarks Commission could notify other departments.

The showroom had a revolving turntable and ramp to show cars in the tiny space. When Mercedes took over Hoffman's distributorship they operated the showroom.

As part of his fee Wright received a 300SL Gullwing and a 300 Sedan

http://hyperallergic.com/69023/the-shocking-demolition-of-frank-lloyd-wrights-park-avenue-showroom/

http://www.core77.com/posts/23921/maximilian-hoffman-the-man-who-made-mercedes-porsche-bmw-cool-23921

Very cool. I remember it in its Mercedes phase, as I had a client in the building. Love that portion of the fee!

Regards,

Steve

post-36995-0-20314800-1453499441_thumb.j  None of the 2002s I have bought second- (or 3rd, 4th, etc) hand have had dealer stickers on them to announce their origin, so on them, who knows? My current car had supposedly always been in the Santa Barbara area prior to my buying it some 16 years ago, so it likely came out of an L.A. dealer. But my first one, a Verona '76, was bought new right off the lot of Fritz's BMW/ Datsun in Trenton, NJ in the spring of '76. Oh, wait ... here comes the sales agent with the paperwork right now.

'73 Tii - Malaga 2763751

'72 Tii - Turkis 2762380 - sold

'74 Turbo - silver 4290633 - sold

'76 Jade Green - sold

'74 Tii - Siennabraun 2781572 - sold

'76 Verona - bought new - sold