• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

What dealer originally sold your 02?

DerekZ4

attachicon.gifBMW 2002.jpg None of the 2002s I have bought second- (or 3rd, 4th, etc) hand have had dealer stickers on them to announce their origin, so on them, who knows? My current car had supposedly always been in the Santa Barbara area prior to my buying it some 16 years ago, so it likely came out of an L.A. dealer. But my first one, a Verona '76, was bought new right off the lot of Fritz's BMW/ Datsun in Trenton, NJ in the spring of '76. Oh, wait ... here comes the sales agent with the paperwork right now.

Great photo! Love it!

And it looks so "clean" without a right-hand rear view mirror or auxiliary lights, items I've added automatically and quickly to every '02 I've owned, save for my '67. I've got to re-think my policies!

Best regards,

Steve

Edited by Conserv

1976 2002 Polaris, 2742541 (original owner)

1973 2002tii Inka, 2762757 (not-the-original owner)

Kowalls Import Motors, Chicago Illinois. I guess it was also called Midlothian Motors.

Purchased by Mr. Schultz

post-48194-0-63010700-1453757034_thumb.j

post-48194-0-63803000-1453757056_thumb.j

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Edited by NowhereFast

1969 2002 Granada, 2nd owner

1976 2002 Fjordblau (sold)

A few too many steering wheels

Wow, Jim, $530 for shipping was a BIG BILL in '72, especially compared to the cost of the car! Do you recall how long the shipping took from Europe to Hawaii?

Of course, it went half way around the world, probably why so expensive. It took what seemed like forever. Dropped it off around Oct 20 and it went thru customs 14 Jan. I avoided the 10% import duty surcharge that was in effect until Dec 31, 1971 because it came of the ship after end of 71.

Somewhere along the way, someone placed a dent above the driver's door handle, most likely with the heel of their hand.

A radiator shop is a good place to take a leak.

I have no idea what I'm doing but I know I'm really good at it.

Of course, it went half way around the world, probably why so expensive. It took what seemed like forever. Dropped it off around Oct 20 and it went thru customs 14 Jan. I avoided the 10% import duty surcharge that was in effect until Dec 31, 1971 because it came of the ship after end of 71.Somewhere along the way, someone placed a dent above the driver's door handle, most likely with the heel of their hand.

Thanks, Jim, so it sounds like about 12 weeks-ish. Sorry to hear about the shipping damage; sadly, not unusual.

Best regards,

Steve

1976 2002 Polaris, 2742541 (original owner)

1973 2002tii Inka, 2762757 (not-the-original owner)

73tii: I am still on the hunt for the original dealership. Car most likely came into Elizabeth, NJ port since (I have been told) the original owner was either a doctor or dentist in NJ. Car then went down to a used car dealership near Philly and was wrecked (new non snorkel nose installed) and bought by a family in the Philly area. I have contacted that family but sadly they don't remember the exact details. Car then went to the restorer near Baltimore MD, then up to Westfield MA then I bought it. Mike Self supplied me some PA dealership info but the PA PO said it was not a BMW dealership. My car is only 3 or 4 numbers away from Larry Schwarz's Malaga tii (same configuration - Bucks County PA).

69 Nevada: I don't have this one either. Original manuals missing. CA car supposedly owned by a Marin County Doctor. Was serviced at one time by West Bay Bavarian. Sadly, they don't have records of this car (I have the plate frame with the CA black tag). Car went to AZ then to me.

Jim Gerock

Riviera 69 2002 built 5/30/69 "Oscar"

My '72 was originally purchased by a doctor too, from BMW of San Francisco (established in 1965). The doc drove it around the city for five years when he traded it in on the latest greatest, the new 320i! I bought it in 1977 from AutoZentrum in San Rafael. I bartered for the car with Wolfgang (head mechanic/salesman) who filled me in on the history.

None of the 2002s I have bought second- (or 3rd, 4th, etc) hand have had dealer stickers on them to announce their origin, so on them, who knows? My current car had supposedly always been in the Santa Barbara area prior to my buying it some 16 years ago, so it likely came out of an L.A. dealer. But my first one, a Verona '76, was bought new right off the lot of Fritz's BMW/ Datsun in Trenton, NJ in the spring of '76. Oh, wait ... here comes the sales agent with the paperwork right now.

Love this pic and story. Fascinating thread in general...

Paul Huber

1972 2002 Baur Targa in Baikal & 1971 2002 Pickup in Silver/Surf

"The more you know, the less you need."

—Aboriginal Saying

My first 02 was a 75 Euro spec 1802 that I bought in 81 at Rhein-Main Air Base in Frankfurt GE. The 1802 was originally purchased at Ruwe & Schmidt dealership in Offenbach am Main. I drove that 02 all over Europe while I was stationed there in the early 80's. Before I came back to the states, I bought a used 74 US spec 2002 from a fellow Airman (original owner) who shipped it over to Germany. That 02 was originally purchased at VOB Motors in Bethesda MD.  The original owner had the engine replaced (74 model year had problems with motors burning oil) with a Euro spec motor at the local dealership (Wogatzke BMW in Kaiserslautern GE) before he sold it to me. I shipped that 02 back to the states in 82 and had that 02 up until 94 when a red light runner killed it on old route 66 in Claremont CA. Shortly after my 02 was totaled, I scored a used 74 2002 in So Cal for $750 (back when 02's were dirt cheap in So Cal). That 74 2002 was originally purchased at H&E motors in Palo Alto, CA. I then had a 74 tii after that with no knowledge or paperwork of where it was sold. My current tii according to the PO was originally purchased at BMW dealership in San Francisco.

G-Man

74 tii (many mods)
91 318i M42

07 4Runner