• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

What dealer originally sold your 02?

DerekZ4

The mention of "orange" reminds me of seeing long-gone paperwork for an '02 and 911 both serviced by and likely purchased from "Orange Motors" in Coral Gables, Florida.  That business may have also sold and serviced Jags, because there was a lot of Jag-related paperwork in one of the cars, too.    I also distinctly recall paperwork from a Jacksonville dealer, but the obscure name escapes me.

While on the subject of dealers, there was Otto Zipper, who had facilities in Santa Monica and Westwood, CA.  http://www.sportscardigest.com/remembering-otto-zipper/

When E10s were new, things must have been very different in Florida.

Queenie+in+a+Mercury+Outboard+Motor+Adve

Opel Kadetts featured Maxi and Mini brute ads in the late '60s.    These were available at Buick dealers in the US and a few lonely Neue Klasse and early Type 114 cars may have found their way into their used car lots and service bays, by elephantine mistake or desperation.  Both brands shared a few of the same parts, e.g., Bosch points, plugs, caps, 13" rubber.   (For those who can remember, was Opel's 4-speed a ZF?)

l-j7rzkbh7varo2r.jpg

ail_570xN.722603912_386v.jpg

Edited by avoirdupois

Some of the questions posed in this thread may be answered (directly or indirectly) by looking in the printed materials originally contained in your glove boxes.  (I know, some of us did not think to save these things.)    In connection with a prior post I now see Jacksonville listings.

Partial list of1971  "servicing stations."

BMW_ca_dealersA.jpg?t=1273342611

BMW_ca_dealersB.jpg?t=1273342564http://www.e9coupe.com/forum/showpost.php?p=40935&postcount=2

Poster HBChris made a thumbnail list of So California dealers that may fill in some blanks..

Just for fun, here is a listing of southern California BMW dealers from back in the day:

Vasek Polak - Hermosa Beach (now South Bay BMW)
C. Bob Autrey - Long Beach
Ocean View Motors - Santa Monica
Coast Imports - Newport Beach
Bayside Motors - Newport Beach
Schneider Motors - Anaheim
Roy Carver - Newport Beach (now Sterling BMW)
Hyde Park Motors - Los Angeles
Helane Motors - Alhambra
Four J Motors - Huntington Park
McLaren - La Habra/Fullerton
Tom Ray - Glendale (now Pacific BMW)
Johnny Lail - Glendale
BMW Auto Center - Van Nuys
T&M Motors - Garden Grove
German Car Sales - Pasadena
German Motors - La Habra
Auto Europa - West Hollywood
Bob Ruehman - North Hollywood (now Century West BMW)
Bob Smith - Canoga Park
BMW of Santa Barbara
Jayro Enterprises - San Luis Obispo
Westland Motors - Woodland Hill
Continental Motors - Oceanside
BMW of San Diego. http://www.e9coupe.com/forum/showpost.php?p=40921&postcount=1

Some of the questions posed in this thread may be answered (directly or indirectly) by looking in the printed materials originally contained in your glove boxes. (I know, some of us did not think to save these things.) In connection with a prior post I now see Jacksonville listings.

Partial list of1971 "servicing stations."

BMW_ca_dealersA.jpg?t=1273342611

BMW_ca_dealersB.jpg?t=1273342564http://www.e9coupe.com/forum/showpost.php?p=40935&postcount=2

Poster HBChris made a thumbnail list of So California dealers that may fill in some blanks..

Just for fun, here is a listing of southern California BMW dealers from back in the day:

Vasek Polak - Hermosa Beach (now South Bay BMW)

C. Bob Autrey - Long Beach

Ocean View Motors - Santa Monica

Coast Imports - Newport Beach

Bayside Motors - Newport Beach

Schneider Motors - Anaheim

Roy Carver - Newport Beach (now Sterling BMW)

Hyde Park Motors - Los Angeles

Helane Motors - Alhambra

Four J Motors - Huntington Park

McLaren - La Habra/Fullerton

Tom Ray - Glendale (now Pacific BMW)

Johnny Lail - Glendale

BMW Auto Center - Van Nuys

T&M Motors - Garden Grove

German Car Sales - Pasadena

German Motors - La Habra

Auto Europa - West Hollywood

Bob Ruehman - North Hollywood (now Century West BMW)

Bob Smith - Canoga Park

BMW of Santa Barbara

Jayro Enterprises - San Luis Obispo

Westland Motors - Woodland Hill

Continental Motors - Oceanside

BMW of San Diego. http://www.e9coupe.com/forum/showpost.php?p=40921&postcount=1

No wonder you have so many '02s in CA today: BMW dealerships in the early '70s were as common as Starbucks today!

I guess this means I can't narrow down the original Southern California dealer for my '73 to "a couple likely suspects"!

Regards,

Steve

Edited by Conserv

1976 2002 Polaris, 2742541 (original owner)

1973 2002tii Inka, 2762757 (not-the-original owner)

Worth considering are primary and secondary markets.

I referenced the fact that Buick dealers also handled Opel Kadett sales and service, with the following in mind.    I vaguely recall an unconfirmed "story" about someone who traded a Simca or Austin for a barely used 1600 sitting on a Buick used car lot.  The 1600 had allegedly never been registered or the registration was lost.  The salesman was unfamiliar with the relatively "new" car and may have even called it an Opel model.  This supposedly resulted in problems correctly listing the car on a replacement title.  Mistakes and ignorance happen.  It is not impossible for an '02 or similar to have been traded between dealers - without the requisite paperwork or paper trail.  :unsure:

Gratuitous Opel imagery, for no particular reason.

7194392506_29774148d0_z.jpg

800px-1969_Opel_Kadett_B_Rallye.jpg

vJ712954.jpg

Screen-Shot-2013-05-20-at-9.50.59-PM.png

Something familiar about the three round gauges?

Opel-Kadett-B-Rallye-Vergleich-05.jpg

Edited by avoirdupois

Find out the manufacturing date -- delivery dates don't tell much -- by sending the VIN to BMW Archives (info.grouparchiv@bmwgroup.com). If it was manufactured after July 1969, it was a 1970 model. My '70, VIN 1668093, was manufactured September 8, 1969, and had -- I totaled it in 1974 -- all the characteristics you describe, including flush turn signals and red-center rear lenses. Given the September 8 manufacturing date, it was a very early 1970 model, delivered to the original owner -- I was the second -- on October 18, 1969. I still have one of the front turn signals, and the taillights, dated August 18, 1969 (removed prior to my recklessness, as I, cleverly, no doubt, swapped lights from a '72 tii parts car so the car would be more....modern!).

Nothing is ever as clear as we hope it will be!

Regards,

Steve

Well I received an email back this morning from BMW Archive regarding the manufacturing dates of my 02's. Vin 2530220 was manufactured on June 3, 1969. My beater, vin 1673804 was manufactured April 2, 1970. April 2nd 1970 just happened to be my 4th birthday. I now know why I've always felt a certain connection to that car!

Rob

1969 2002 Colorado

1970 2002 Agave

1974 2002 sold back in the 80's

Well I received an email back this morning from BMW Archive regarding the manufacturing dates of my 02's. Vin 2530220 was manufactured on June 3, 1969. My beater, vin 1673804 was manufactured April 2, 1970. April 2nd 1970 just happened to be my 4th birthday. I now know why I've always felt a certain connection to that car!

Rob

Very neat, Rob, and, of course, confirming you have a '69 and a '70, regardless of the '69's historical registration!

Regards,

Steve

Billings MT for this one.

And if you know the dealer was in Billings, Montana, we can probably come up with the dealer's name. Unless Billings, of course, like L.A., had more than one dealer! My March 1975 listing of BMW Authorized Service Stations only shows -- for cars, as opposed to motorcycles -- one authorized service station in Montana: Helmut's Autos in Great Falls. I do believe, however, that these listings were often a bit out of date.

Regards,

Steve

At least the first owner, a rancher, had a Billings address.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

That's a start. So...do you know your car's build date? Maybe it WAS delivered in Great Falls! How far is that from Billings? If there wasn't a dealer in Billings at the time the car was delivered, where would YOU guess is the most likely location for a dealer?

Regards,

Steve

Steve, 02/1975 build date. schwarz wiGray vinyl. Back then there were not many dealers, and many sold multiple brands. The dealer where I bought my first 2002 (4 years old) sold IH large trucks, incl semi tractors. My local Dlr sold Subaru and VW.

Steve, 02/1975 build date. schwarz wiGray vinyl. Back then there were not many dealers, and many sold multiple brands. The dealer where I bought my first 2002 (4 years old) sold IH large trucks, incl semi tractors. My local Dlr sold Subaru and VW.

Yeah, your distances are mighty long! I can't find any listed BMW car dealerships closer to Billings than Great Falls, which appears to be 3-4 hours! So maybe it was Great Falls.

Schwarz with gray vinyl is really rare for U.S.-spec cars, whether under Hoffman Motors or BMW NA -- which is just assuming the U.S. sole importer role in the first quarter of 1975. Given shipping times to the western U.S., there's no likelihood that this car was delivered before April 1975, so I'd say this was a BMW NA-imported car. Given the rarity of this color combination in the U.S., I wonder if it could have been delivered by a Canadian dealer?

However it happened, it's interesting!

Regards,

Steve

Dealers in rural areas where BMW's didn't sell well gave up selling BMW's in the late 80's when BMW mandated that the dealers buy expensive diagnostic equipment for their service department.  Small market dealers in South and North Dakota (and I'm sure elsewhere) couldn't justify the equipment expense for the amount of cars they sold so they gave up selling BMW's. Their used to be a BMW dealer in Fargo ND and Rapid City SD that gave up the BMW line but continued to sell other makes.

74 tii (many mods)
91 318i M42

07 4Runner