• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

NM/NA 1972 BMW Bavaria Original Paint

1936spyder

Year:: 1972

Make:: BMW

Model:: Bavaria

Price:: 14995

Hi all,

NM/NA, however I am curious but am up in the SF Bay Area. There are 2 areas of concern for me: a wonderful rusty hole just under the right front turn lens and what looks like a bit of corrosion on the forward part of the left rocker panel just aft of the wheel well. Otherwise, the car seems so original and complete, especially the interior which appears almost as new, un-cracked dash and all.

I'm wondering if any of you wonderful FAQ'ers down south might live somewhat close by and if so, would it be possible for one of you lovely people to look at the car in person for me?

Many, many thanks in advance!

Wendell 

http://orangecounty.craigslist.org/ctd/5405765491.html

http://www.lagunaclassiccars.com/inventory/901710/1972-BMW-Bavaria/

Edited by 1936spyder

'74 Sahara/Beige 2002 HS car, long, long ago...

'73 Polaris/Navy 2002 tii lost to Canada

'73 Malaga/Saddle 2002 current project

'73 Taiga/Black 2002 tii in my dreams

You might also consider this car in Ramona, CA,

NM/NA,

Mark92131

http://sandiego.craigslist.org/nsd/cto/5416630489.html

Mark,

Thanks very much for the heads up! Aside from the hilarious rims (a bit ghetto pour moi) and the fact that it's a '76 and an auto, I do like it, especially the color scheme. And BTW, I do know that the '72 is over-priced, but it still piqued my curiosity as it was a one-owner car with loads of paper work.

The hunt continues...

I agree, the '72 is just gorgeous, but $15K sounds too high for the market given the immediate mechanical (trans synchros) and body (rust, at minimum, in the right front fender) needs. These are such great cars; it's sad their values are so low. It provides little incentive to restore, or even maintain, them!

Regards,

Steve

1976 2002 Polaris, 2742541 (original owner)

1973 2002tii Inka, 2762757 (not-the-original owner)

I agree, the '72 is just gorgeous, but $15K sounds too high for the market given the immediate mechanical (trans synchros) and body (rust, at minimum, in the right front fender) needs. These are such great cars; it's sad their values are so low. It provides little incentive to restore, or even maintain, them!

Regards,

Steve

Yeah, 15K is a bit astronomical...I'm sure that there's something out there which is just as original with less potential surprises for half that. Must. be. patient.

Wendell

Yeah, 15K is a bit astronomical...I'm sure that there's something out there which is just as original with less potential surprises for half that. Must. be. patient.

Wendell

These cars, obviously built and sold in much smaller numbers than '02s, targeted a very different buyer than the '02: often someone with real dinero who didn't have to use the bimmer every day! There have been a few in mostly, kinda similar condition over the last couple years in the $5K-$8K range, probably not better than the above example but approximately the same.

Good luck with your hunt!

Regards,

Steve

1976 2002 Polaris, 2742541 (original owner)

1973 2002tii Inka, 2762757 (not-the-original owner)

I agree...I usually see very clean examples in that price range, but some have been creeping up in asking price as they are getting swept up in the current '02 frenzy. Still, a relative value in comparison to a 4.5 or 6.3 MBZ (but those really are different monsters altogether).

I'll probably wind up sticking with an '02, as that's what I've always been familiar with-more tinkering opportunities as they are so elementary. So if you know of any clean 1600/2002's up through '73, lemme know! I don't want a project though, and am willing to pay up to the mid-teens.

Thanks again for your '02 cents!

Wendell