• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Very Early 1968 2002: VIN 1660016

Conserv

On 1/30/2016 at 9:29 AM, 71bmr02 said:

I'll see your 166xxx's and raise with my 1561921 and from what I've found it appears to be one of the first cars into the u.s.  any one want to take a shot at date of mfg?  I havn't been to interested in determining date of mfg until now and will start the process this evening.

Gale

Gale,

Roundeie has helpfully narrowed the range dramatically, possibly with the excellent VIN decoder of the BMW 2002 Club of Columbia. But please send your VIN to info.grouparchiv@bmwgroup.com and request it's specific date. And then share the manufacturing date with us!

By the by, notwithstanding the 1967 designation from the VIN decoder -- which records calendar years, not U.S. model years -- your car is a U.S.-spec 1968 model, 12-volt! Yours might have been one of the earliest 1968 model 1600-2s on these shores, but 1600-2s started arriving here in late 1966. If you want to have an "early" 1600-2, you'll need a 150XXXX!

Regards,

Steve

Edited by Conserv

1976 2002 Polaris, 2742541 (original owner)

1973 2002tii Inka, 2762757 (not-the-original owner)

On 1/30/2016 at 10:27 AM, 02Anders said:

In no way do I disagree with you Steve, but at the same time I must point out that 02's in a much worse state than this car, have been restored with amazing results. VIN 1504069 springs to mind. Check out the thread on it here:

http://www.02forum.co.uk/viewtopic.php?f=16&t=8189

Especially the pics on page 6 get really interesting!!

Thanks for the link, Anders. Positively heroic! I do love these amazing restorations!

The Delia "restoration" to which I referred in Post # 26 above but was too lazy to link -- I'm not even certain restoration is the right word for these "projects" -- is in the following thread:

http://www.bmw2002faq.com/topic/175921-nice-72-tii-on-bat/page-2

Look at Delia's Post #23. Pay careful attention to the third photo, it shows what remained after the "bad stuff" was excised!

Best regards,

Steve

Edited by Conserv

On 1/30/2016 at 10:22 AM, 02Anders said:

Well Steve it seems to me, that it's barely worth waiting 80% for a mere 20%.

There's not much logic in that - you're not getting your moneys worth on this one.

So instead you may as well wack the necessary recovery period back up to 100%, but gaining another 02 in the process.

After all, waiting 100% for 100% seems a lot better value than waiting 80% for a low 20%.

And as you rightly point out, owning a Polaris first-year-of-production 2002 next to a Polaris last-year-of-production would be rather cool - to say the least!   B)

Your logic is flawless, Anders!

Best regards,

Steve

Edited by Conserv

I'll see your 166xxx's and raise with my 1561921 and from what I've found it appears to be one of the first cars into the u.s.  any one want to take a shot at date of mfg?  I havn't been to interested in determining date of mfg until now and will start the process this evening.

Gale

As already stated, your 1600-2 was a late (Nov-Dec) '67 manufacture. If I'm correct, the famous (infamous?) Andy Stuckey once owned it.

A few years ago, the motor block (1561921) was with Paul Baranowski who sadly passed this week.

Les

'74 '02 - Jade Touring (RHD)

'76 '02 - Delk's "Da Beater"

FAQ Member #17

Thanks for all the info,  I'll follow up on the vin with grouparchive and get back to the forum.   Currently a 2.0 l resides in the car and i'd really like to have the original block for future restoration.  all the rest of the car appears to be there except for the left rear quarter but I have already removed from another car and waiting for installation.

Gale 

Gale H.

71 2002 daily driver

70 2002 malaga (pc)

83 320i (pc)

All, Just received info from info.grouparchiv and learned 1561921 was built December 14, 1967 and received by Hoffman Motors, New York City on Dec 22, 1967.  Origional color was Chamonix 085.  Does anyone know if archive data for these cars exists from Hoffman records?

Will continue to research

Thanks

Gale H

Gale H.

71 2002 daily driver

70 2002 malaga (pc)

83 320i (pc)

On 2/1/2016 at 3:57 PM, 71bmr02 said:

All, Just received info from info.grouparchiv and learned 1561921 was built December 14, 1967 and received by Hoffman Motors, New York City on Dec 22, 1967.  Origional color was Chamonix 085.  Does anyone know if archive data for these cars exists from Hoffman records?

Will continue to research

Thanks

Gale H

Thanks for sharing, Gale. So you've got an early '68 model.

Certainly no one on this forum, and no one I've yet met outside this forum, is aware of any Hoffman Motors Corp records for these years. I would guess they were discarded.

I'm assuming you've already scrubbed the car for the usual provenance hints: service tags on the radiator (but only if the radiator is dated, and dated consistently with the car's manufacturing date), dealer stickers on the rear end, service stickers on the door jambs and under the hood, notations in the owners manuals that may have accompanied the car (and old Owner's handbooks seem to often contain one old receipt that slid into it by accident). Look under the dash around the glove compartment for notes or receipts that "escaped" from the glovebox. Dig into the seat back pockets on the rear of the front seats. Pull out the bottom of the rear seat. Google your car's VIN. Ask Les02 if has any record of your car's VIN.

Good luck

Steve

Edited by Conserv

yeah, early 68 1600-2.  I dug deeper using the search engine on this forum and found Hoffman just recd title to the cars and the cars were actually to shipped to different of fifferent ports of entry. The  nearest poe to nyc apparently was in NJ so tracing the actual dealer where the car was sold is almost impossible without some supporting paper.  The car's interior is mostly there but appears to have been stripped when the car was painted laguna seca blue inside and out(with white top)  I doubt I will find any paperwork in it but I'll look behind seats, under seats etc.

I'll post more info as I find it.

Thanks

Gale H

Gale H.

71 2002 daily driver

70 2002 malaga (pc)

83 320i (pc)