• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

skipsfcr

Tim's tii, with a freshly rebuilt engine and a few other tweaks, in preparation for a boat ride to the festivities in Germany this spring. I'll drive to Shreveport this Friday, then Tim will rack up a few miles locally before go time. I'm certainly envious! Oh well, I'll be in Monterey even if I have to sleep in the '02...and it looks like I might!

post-32064-0-01252200-1453914081_thumb.j

Budweiser...It's not just for breakfast anymore.

Avatar photo courtesy K. Kreeger, my2002tii.com ©

Very cool, Skip,

I've long dreamed of taking my '76 to Europe for an extended vacation -- say 4 weeks -- but obviously shipping to and from is a big chunk o' change compared to simply renting a car, which I have done. How long will Tim be using his car in Europe, or is this part of a move to Europe? To what port will the car ship?

Regards,

Steve

1976 2002 Polaris, 2742541 (original owner)

1973 2002tii Inka, 2762757 (not-the-original owner)

What kind of government clearances were needed for this trip.  Europe has some rules that we don't have, like when I was there the first aid kit was mandatory (that's how I got my BMW roundel labeled pillow first aid kit).

A radiator shop is a good place to take a leak.

I have no idea what I'm doing but I know I'm really good at it.

What kind of government clearances were needed for this trip.  Europe has some rules that we don't have, like when I was there the first aid kit was mandatory (that's how I got my BMW roundel labeled pillow first aid kit).

As long as the car is mostly stock, there is no problem with US-cars in Europe. You do however, need a first-aid kit and a high-visibility vest that may be reached from the drivers seat. 

Modified cars are frowned upon in Europe, if the modification is defined as illegal, and most of them are. So no AMC Pacers with blown 401s. 

I've long dreamed of taking my '76 to Europe for an extended vacation -- say 4 weeks -- but obviously shipping to and from is a big chunk o' change compared to simply renting a car, which I have done.

Regards,

Steve

Or you could just borrow a 02 while in Europe!

Not the same as driving your own beloved 02 of course, but has to be better than some lame rental...   ;)

O==00==O
With BMW-Regards,
Anders.

As long as the car is mostly stock, there is no problem with US-cars in Europe. You do however, need a first-aid kit and a high-visibility vest that may be reached from the drivers seat. 

Modified cars are frowned upon in Europe, if the modification is defined as illegal, and most of them are. So no AMC Pacers with blown 401s. 

Mainland Europe, correct, or certainly as far as France and to a lesser extent Germany goes - not sure about the rest. In Britain almost anything goes as long as the annual road worthiness test (MOT) deems it sound and the insurance is aware of any modifications.

avaTour2.jpg.52fb4debc1ca18590681ac95bc6f527f.jpg

Three words "duty free liquor"..... What will Tim stuff in it for the return trip???

I would warn against Bavarian Weizen; I had all 20 bottles let go on a hovercraft trip from Calais to UK one time. Ruined a perfectly good trunk lid on my first /02.

Les

'74 '02 - Jade Touring (RHD)

'76 '02 - Delk's "Da Beater"

FAQ Member #17