• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Tie Rod Center Link

Danz3

I am in the process of rebuilding my steering box.  The rebuild is done and all seems well with the box.  Last night I was planning on reinstalling the box and buttoning up the steering.  When reconnecting the center tie rod link to the drop arm I noticed that I somehow screwed up the threads on the ball joint and can't start the castle nut on the threads.  What are my options?  Replace the center link ($), try to chase the threads with a tap (if I can find one, M10x1)?  The ball joint doesn't appear to be replaceable in the link.

The proper re-threading die is indeed hard to find.  I think I got one from McMaster-Carr.  It is fine thread, M10x1.0 sounds right, but I'm not sure.  It's at home.  I might be talked into dropping it in the mail sometime, but I am a bit busy.

Bring a Welder

1974 2002, 1965 Datsun L320 truck, 1981 Yamaha XS400, 1983 Yamaha RX50, 1992 Miata Miata drivetrain waiting on a Locost frame, 1999 Toyota Land Cruiser

I'd get a new one if I didn't know the history on the old one. If I knew the history and it was good, triangle file till it bolts up.

-Nathan
'76 2002 in Malaga (110k Original, 2nd Owner, sat for 20 years and now a toy)
'86 Chevy K20 (6.2 Turbo Diesel build) & '46 Chevy 2 Ton Dump Truck
'74 Suzuki TS185, '68 BSA A65 Lightning (garage find), '74 BMW R90S US Spec #2

I was just checking my random die collection, because I know I've done this and bought the right die. My dads big tap and die kit did not have the right one, so I bought one. The only one in my random collection that looks reasonable says 1.25 on it, not completely sure about the width as its not marked. So be certain you've got the right one.

Edited by KFunk

Bring a Welder

1974 2002, 1965 Datsun L320 truck, 1981 Yamaha XS400, 1983 Yamaha RX50, 1992 Miata Miata drivetrain waiting on a Locost frame, 1999 Toyota Land Cruiser

Since you can't easily use a die on a rotating balljoint, I've gotten out of similar emergency situations, using one of these style thread repair tools. I think I paid about $25 for the one I have. It's small (about 2" x 2")

I've never had much luck with thread files, personally. Be sure to use only new lock nuts - always.

Sears sells 'em!

http://www.sears.com/craftsman-cm-universal-external-thread-repair-tool/p-00938948000P

post-34474-0-53923500-1454033405.jpg

Edited by wegweiser

Paul Wegweiser

Wegweiser Classic BMW Services

Nationwide vehicle transport available

NEW WEBSITE! www.zenwrench.com

Be very careful using thread cutters (taps and dies) to clean threads. Thread chasers are more gentle, and less likely to start a new set of threads. that said, this is one fitting that I wouldn't want to fail because of poor threads.

Except that, if the nut tightens this joint, all it does is wedge the taper into position, and then act as a safety.  It should have wedging tension

on it, no more.

THAT said, I have found that the center link is the one joint on a 2002 that fails in regular use.  Tie rods last forever, ball joints close,

center links seem to be good for 50k or less, if you spend a lot of time jumping curbs.

Has anyone used the OEM BMW link?  It seems the 'good' OE's (Lemforder, etc) don't make the center link anymore, and BMW only gets $130 for it.

t

"I learn best through painful, expensive experience, so I feel like I've gotten my money's worth." MattL