• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

clutch pedal vibration when pedal depressed

curt74golf

Drove my '74 to work today (clear roads, no snow due until the weekend) and on the way home noticed pedal vibration with the clutch pedal fully depressed when shifting. I have a 5-speed, the conversion from ~2008 has <20k on it, and it's noticeable only on the lower half of pedal travel. Not feeling it on the gearshift, nor is there new vibration elsewhere.  Have I run out the clock on the throwout bearing?

Curt

Utah

Your clutch pressure plate may be coming apart.

Unfortunately, the diagnostic procedure for that is remove transmission, inspect straps on pressure plate.

But the other very likely suspect is the throwout bearing, and diagnosing that starts the same way...

t

"I learn best through painful, expensive experience, so I feel like I've gotten my money's worth." MattL

Sure it isn't the centre support bearing? Sounds like you need to take it apart / get underneath anyway so don't forget to check the easy things first on your way to pulling the gearbox.

rtheriaque wrote:

Carbs: They're necessary and barely controlled fuel leaks that sometimes match the air passing through them.

My build blog:http://www.bmw2002faq.com/blog/163-simeons-blog/

Center support bearing looks OK, as does the rest of the rubber.  If there's a clutch replacement HowTo I can't find it (the 5-speed conversion articles don't go into much clutch detail), and the Haynes manual writeup isn't great. Pointing me to one is appreciated. If I'm going to pull the entire transmission I may as well do the entire clutch assy.

Curt

rtheriaque wrote:

Carbs: They're necessary and barely controlled fuel leaks that sometimes match the air passing through them.

My build blog:http://www.bmw2002faq.com/blog/163-simeons-blog/