• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Crankshaft Pulley Sleeve

mesapioneer2

My Front Crankshaft Oil Seal is leaking badly. My mechanic has suggested that is is a good idea to find a "Crankshaft Pulley Sleeve" in case there is a groove in the pulley.

I am having no luck in finding any thing like it on the internet. Am I calling it by the right name? Any advise on whether this is necessary or not?

Also, he suggests that we replace the Water Pump and Thermostat while we are in there, and, having the radiator rodded out or recored while it is out of the car. Thoughts? Any thing else while we are in there?

Thanks for the help.

Collin in Scottsdale

76 Chamonix

This seal doesn't bottom out on a shoulder like many other seals.  BMW was smart about this and the new seal can be set on a fresh area of the pulley.

Just take note of where the old seal is setting in the front cover, then remove the old seal with a hook.  Install new seal to a different depth and the lip will ride on a fresh area of the pulley.  This works of course with the pulley off and the sealing area of the pulley doesn't have so many grooves that there is not new place for the new seal lip to ride.

A radiator shop is a good place to take a leak.

I have no idea what I'm doing but I know I'm really good at it.

..or rockauto.com and look for it by diameter.  Which will be on the RealOEM description for the seal...

I use Jim's method because I am lazy AND don'tlike waiting for parts.

t

Edited by TobyB

"I learn best through painful, expensive experience, so I feel like I've gotten my money's worth." MattL

• 1 month later...

Just finished with the Oil Seal, All new hoses from W&N, new water pump, New Thermostat. Had the radiator rodded out. The radiator shop said that it needed the rodding, but that for it's age it was in very good condition.  Can't wait till this weekend to drive it and see if the leak is gone.

The mechanic said that  the PO had installed the last oil seal on a slant and that the Speedi Sleeve was necessary.

Collin in Scottsdale

76 Chamonix