• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

windshield replacement/ trim

chasmrider

hey everybody, I am a newbie to this site, so hopefully I am putting this in the right place. I am replacing my windshield, and I need the plastic trim that spreads the rubber. my local dealer says they want almost $200 for that trim, so my question, is there a better place to get that trim? thanks for your help.

Welcome!  You don't say where you are located - please fill in your location.

You need to find a new dealer!  Anywhere is more reasonable than that, unless they were pricing the rubber gasket, lock strip, and covering clip (cup) together.  Call or email BluntTech.com for your needs.  

01 Cup 51317440106  - BMW MSRP $10.06 
02 FILLING RUBBER L=3575/CHROM 51311803265 - BMW MSRP $43.07
03 Gasket 51311817764  - New Part Number 51317440104 - BMW MSRP $114.51
llu.png

John in VA

'74 tii "Juanita"  '85 535i "Goldie"  '86 535i "M-POSSTR"  

'03 530i "Titan"  '06 330ci "ZHPY"

bmw_spin.gif

Adding the model year of your 02 to your signature line is helpful.

I am not sure whether you have ordered the windshield seals yet, but there has been a lot written here about the Uro vs BMW seals.

You might want to use the search window at the top of the page and read up.  I do not want to bring that debate up again now, but just thought I would mention it.

Welcome to the site.

(Be careful, it is addictive).

thanks, I already had the rubber ( not sure who made it ) I needed the trim that goes in the rubber.  the $176 the dealer quoted me was indeed for the rubber, they want $98 for the trim and clip. do I need a special tool to install the trim? BTW  my car is a 71 roundie, I will add that and a picture as soon as I can figure out how.post-49612-0-65638800-1454182454_thumb.j

Yes, there is a tool for installing the 'chrome' strip.  A little searching of the archives will show you what it looks like.  

I think you will have better results installing it when the rubber/trim are warm.  (it looks cold in the photo above)  I have read where people dip the trim strip in warm water to straighten it out.

Adding location and the year of your car can be done by editing your 'signature' in your profile.

I sent you a message. We have the lock strip, seam cover and installation tool on the shelf. Email my guys at sales@blunttech.com and they will send it out Monday am. Im in Mexico right now and they dont have access to my faq account so email is best

www.BluntTech.com
FAQ Supporting Vendor
 Sales@BluntTech.com

Using the tool to put the lockstrip around the gasket is no quick job.  As said, it's best if everything is REAL warm, such as a hot summer day.

Is that the Columbia River Gorge in the background?  Awesome place. Boardsailing heaven.

I did many a road trip to the Gorge in MY malaga 73tii back in the 80s.  

73 Inka Tii #2762958