• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Ever contemplated inboard rear discs?

Guest Anonymous

Guest Anonymous

the lesser unsprung weight makes it worth trying... good luck with it mike! in my case the most ambitious I'll be is some small outboard discs and aluminum calipers (from what I dont know yet). i also want to convert to aluminum front calipers eventually. not anytime soon, however, as i have more basic problems to worry about. such as a few severely leaking exhaust studs on the e21 motor im running at the moment.

-Rob

Guest Anonymous

Rear 2002 brakes don't do much of the braking. If you can lock up the rear tires, you have enough braking torque. If you don't get rear brake fade, you have enough cooling. So, why add the complexity?

Guest Anonymous

I'm not claiming that the setup would be any better than other solutions. In fact, it might be more troublesome in some ways.

IMHO, drums are my least favorite solution. I don't like the adjusters on 2002 rear brakes, I don't like the hardware, and I don't like the way that drum brakes change their adjustment when they heat up and expand. I prefer the 4-wheel disc setup on my Volvo and my wife's E30 318is. Typically,discs just have a better feel to them, IMHO, than drums do.

Given that I would like rear discs at some point, I'm entertaining various options. The conventional rear disc conversion is certainly acceptable to me, but I'm interested in the inboard possibilities as well.

Other thoughts:

If indeed the rears have very little demand on them, it should be possible to install very small but well-ventilated rear discs, right? Say, perhaps, the kind you find on high-powered karts, or motorcycles?

Also, the 'hatless' part of 2-piece discs could probably be fit quite nicely between the differential flange and the halfshaft.

Part of this is also because I have some hairbrained ideas for other vehicles based on the 2002 parts I have laying around. For example, an electric single-seater based on 2002 rear subframe and trailing arms, with electric motors/regenerative brake and small friction brakes placed where the differential normally goes.

By the way, Curtis, I have an interesting radiator fabrication problem. Do you still do custom radiators?

Mike

Guest Anonymous

That little rubber covered thing is more like a on off switch, very interesting car though it realy was pushing the envolope in it's time....Marty....