• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Getting started on Rebuilding DCOE 40's-What size Needle Valves?

2002Scoob

I think this is custom made because it has a hole for brake booser... Beware too much wight on the end of carburetors may cause manifolds to break...

Yep, that's the thought about going to laid-up carbon- Light weight. 

Notice, it also has a pretty nicely molded support on the bottom, I'm guessing there's an addition bracket attaching to the block to support the Airbox assembly. 

Yep, that's the thought about going to laid-up carbon- Light weight. 

Notice, it also has a pretty nicely molded support on the bottom, I'm guessing there's an addition bracket attaching to the block to support the Airbox assembly. 

Saw that but i think this is only closing mechanism...

Best regards

Blaz

Are you sure that thing will clear the booster/brake reservoirs?

Nope. But it sure looks like it was designed to, with that relief to the airbox. 

This is also why I figured I'd just make my own. That way I KNOW it will clear, as I can just mock it up on the car itself once the carbs are in place. 

So... I got the other carb disassembled and cleaned, and parts are ordered.

I was wondering, can you "read" a used dirty carb based on how dirty, or the type of dirty it is to pinpoint any troubles it might have had in it's previous life?

The two carbs are supposed to be a matched set, but the appearance of the two and the condition of their parts is pretty different. 

The 1st I took apart, the jets, tubes, etc. were far more corroded, covered with a darker matte brown patina making numbers almost unreadable on jets etc. I also found a fair bit of debris in the first carb, and in the bowl the it was darker black corrosion.

The 2nd carb's brass parts/jets were all fairly fresh looking-shiny with easily legible numbers. where the 1st carb's pieces were corroded and patina'd, the 2nd only had a light powdery grey "dust" covering them and the inside of the bowl and channels. 

Back to my question, can you read a carb much like you can a spark plug or other components?

Edited by 2002Scoob

Don't worry about that thing, just clean them(ultrasonic bath is the thing you want for them). Maybe they can be from different engines or something, but not to worry just see if progession holes match. Otherwise you are good to go and start the engine ;)

Best regards

Blaz

Yep... I kinda wish I had an Ultrasonic Cleaner... I'm half tempted to buy one to do things right, they're not THAT expensive. For the carb body we've got a parts-washer at work with a powered pump filled with a heated degreaser/cleaning solution pumping through a scrub brush. It does an OK job. Afterwards I just sprayed them down with carb-cleaner as well as the passages, then blew em' out with compressed Air.

The smaller parts I've been spraying and brushing down with carb cleaner in a plastic container with a mesh screen in order to collect the excess, then letting them soak overnight, followed by another quick scrub-down. 

90 euros gets me a 2 liter version on Amazon thou... wonder if that's enough to hold a carb body...

The other thing with ultra sonic- the throttle pivots are pretty smooth and tight, I'd rather not rebuild or take em' apart to that level. My guess is that before throwing em' in an ultrasonic tank I'd have to disassemble em' or risk destroy the bearings in these pivots when the grease is blown outa' em.