• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Color inquiry

Vintagedavid

Can someone on the board please tell me if this is a factory color?

It was 75 or 76....I was working at a Chevron station in Walnut Creek, Ca. An 02 of that color pulled in by a stunning woman (gas stations were full service at that time)....I still think of that car/color/woman/how young I was/et cetera....

75 2002 (atlantik) 1990 - 1993

73 2002 tii (malaga) 1994 - 2017

74 2002 tii (verona) 2023 - present

Turkis came out sometime in 1972 and was offered in '73 and at least '74; I've only seen a half dozen or so in the past 44 years, and two of them were in salvage yards.f  Not sure I've ever seen a squarelight in Turkis, but I know they exist.  Not a common color at all, but quite colorful!

mike

'69 Nevada sunroof-Wolfgang-bought new
'73 Sahara sunroof-Ludwig-since '78
'91 Brillantrot 318is sunroof-Georg Friederich 
Fiat Topolini (Benito & Luigi), Renault 4CVs (Anatole, Lucky Pierre, Brigette) & Kermit, the Bugeye Sprite

Turkis came out sometime in 1972 and was offered in '73 and at least '74; I've only seen a half dozen or so in the past 44 years, and two of them were in salvage yards.f  Not sure I've ever seen a squarelight in Turkis, but I know they exist.  Not a common color at all, but quite colorful!

mike

dar_on_ knows they exist also. ;) ;) ;)

Cheers,

Ray

Stop reading this! Don't you have anything better to do?? :P
Two running things. Two broken things.

Sorry, I have some doubt whether this is Turkis, anymore than this pictured Austin is that color.  There are similarities, but for one thing, the 02's coat does not look particularly "metallic" to me.  Instead it looks like a solid non-metallic and therefore non-original color.  We often assume that colors are factory original.  Yet in reality, paint formulas change from manufacturer to manufacturer, applications differ and photographic lighting conditions can dramatically change what we think is pictured.  All of which offers another reason for seeing things in person. 

FWIW, I had an original Turkis car but serious fading had a few people debating whether the car wasn't really Fjord in the "right" light.

Turquiose 2002.jpg

510142-classic-car-austin-cambridge.jpeg

Um maybe this is paint code 065?

Comboyne-Village-Fair-Car-Display-043.jp

IMG_2052.jpg

250620112562.jpg

250620112563.jpg

That car is definitely an original Turkis 02.  It's Keith Martin's old car(see the Sport's Car Market sticker on the door), I think his ex-wife has it now.  I've seen it multiple times in person, it's a great car.  It has been re-sprayed at some point with a little too much metallic but I'm pretty sure the engine bay is still original. 

That car is definitely an original Turkis 02.  It's Keith Martin's old car(see the Sport's Car Market sticker on the door), I think his ex-wife has it now.  I've seen it multiple times in person, it's a great car.  It has been re-sprayed at some point with a little too much metallic but I'm pretty sure the engine bay is still original. 

I do not see a "sticker" but maybe you are referring to a reflection.  An "original" means a lot of things to different people.  Original can refer to the actual untouched original paint or merely the color "first" applied to the car.  It can also mean only a color that was originally used by the factory, but not first applied to a car.   When you say someone's old car, you can also be referring to the age of the car or the time the vehicle has been owned.  Evidently, the vehicle was Ned Scudder's "old" car too. 

Turkis in the original poster's picture does look off to me, but that may have something to do with color correction of the original image or even my monitor.

e5671507ff8ac1aaffed73d9feb453e9.jpg

This is turkis too.  But does it make one more turkis than the other?

5579_1444135540305.jpg

So is this Turkis.

turkis_driver_quarter_cut.jpg

Edited by avoirdupois

I bought the Turkis car pictured in early 1999. It had 4 coats of paint over the original finish, and the top paint job was poor, so I chemically stripped it to the bare metal and had it repainted. No one seemed to have a source for factory BMW Turkis, so we used the original paint in the engine bay as a guide and the shop did the best color-match they could provide. When I found another Turkis car and parked next to it, it was next to impossible to see any difference in the two colors. The owner of that car had no idea who had painted it or when, so it was impossible to learn what type or mix of paint was utilized. Yes, I sold the car to Keith Martin in the spring of '12, and yes, he ended up watching it go down the road with his ex, Wendie, when they divorced. She loves the car, and uses it in her Facebook profile. Pretty sure it isn't going anywhere any time soon. And Keith still wants another.

BTW, the car in photo #1 is the same car at the top of post #12, still wearing my CA plates.

Edited by LJtii

'73 Tii - Malaga 2763751

'72 Tii - Turkis 2762380 - sold

'74 Turbo - silver 4290633 - sold

'76 Jade Green - sold

'74 Tii - Siennabraun 2781572 - sold

'76 Verona - bought new - sold

I bought the Turkis car pictured in early 1999. It had 4 coats of paint over the original finish, and the top paint job was poor, so I chemically stripped it to the bare metal and had it repainted. No one seemed to have a source for factory BMW Turkis, so we used the original paint in the engine bay as a guide and the shop did the best color-match they could provide. When I found another Turkis car and parked next to it, it was next to impossible to see any difference in the two colors. The owner of that car had no idea who had painted it or when, so it was impossible to learn what type or mix of paint was utilized. Yes, I sold the car to Keith Martin in the spring of '12, and yes, he ended up watching it go down the road with his ex, Wendie, when they divorced. She loves the car, and uses it in her Facebook profile. Pretty sure it isn't going anywhere any time soon. And Keith still wants another.

BTW, the car in photo #1 is the same car at the top of post #12, still wearing my CA plates.

Wow, I love this site. Where else would you find the previous owner of a car commenting/clarifying a question on a car sold 3-4 years ago AND getting a little "life" history lesson.

Reminds me of a great joke... Do you know why divorce is so expensive???

Because it's friggin(not the original word!  :lol: ) worth it!!!

Good for her for getting the car, but sorry for him....

I wonder what he got out of the divorce?

Life is short, enjoy the ride!
L'Ultimo Ciclista, 200Km race, Nove Colli 2012

1976 Mint Grun

Philip