• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

E21 Recaros in 1969 1602 will it work?

Mad1602

Can anyone tell me if E21 Recaros fit into a 1969 1602 without modifying the floor pan mounts.

My shop said my seats are sitting too high, the headrests are almost touching the headliner. I purchased the seat adapters with the new seat covers.

Thanks

I think your question answers itself.  The seats do tend to sit high in most Recaro transplants, but a big part of the problem can be the so-called adapters.  I have seen no less than two common styles and one uncommon one that may have been custom.  The first two adapters added at least 1" of height.  The custom, maybe a quarter of an inch of height.  So consider cutting down or remanufacturing those adapters.

Other potential added height can be the seat adjustment assembly, that rumor has it can also be modified or replaced with the assembly from earlier or quasi-original seating.  I say "rumor" having not personally performed this swap or modification.  I think it's been discussed on the board before. 

Nope I used the e21 recaro adapters and my original seat sliders/rails. Very simple bolt on upgrade.

Just bolt the adapters to the rails, then bolt the seats in the car.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Edited by jmr_1602

- Project 67' 1600-2

- Pig Cheek 71' 1602

I had an E21 Recaro seat in my '69 2002 for several months; just used the 2002 adjuster rails bolted to the E21 seat frames.  Seemed to be the same height as the OEM 2002 seats--and my car has a sunroof.

mike

'69 Nevada sunroof-Wolfgang-bought new
'73 Sahara sunroof-Ludwig-since '78
'91 Brillantrot 318is sunroof-Georg Friederich 
Fiat Topolini (Benito & Luigi), Renault 4CVs (Anatole, Lucky Pierre, Brigette) & Kermit, the Bugeye Sprite

you need to use the stock sliders and ditch the recaro sliders.  ditch the adapter too.  Have the shop (if they can weld) put two steel  straps across the stock seat mounting holes, and then bolt two more straps to the bottom of the recaros, with the straps long enough to overlap the two in the car.  position the seat where you want it, and then mark the intersection points of the two sets of straps.  weld them into a frame configuration, trim the ends off the straps that were on the seats and grind the welds smooth, then paint them. 

They can use steel that is 1" wide and 1/8"-3/16 thick.

This frame design is much better than the plate type design that I once sold.  that really just transfers the stress to the seat pan and the seat perch bolts like a couple diving boards bouncing.. the frame is much more supportive, and less stressful to the parts that can pull and tear.

3E097ABC-D067-45B2-BA9D-9226B4D50887_1.j

Edited by eurotrash

2002 newbie, and dead serious about it.
(O=o00o=O)
Smart Audio Products for your 2002