• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

BMW Centennial Badge

mo02

Dear FAQ,

I have been working on an idea for a grille badge celebrating 100 years of BMW & would like to share my thoughts.  I also know that grille badges have been discussed in length before + there is even an FAQ badge.

My question is who is interested to pay up front + wait for a badge to get made?  I would need a lot of support from members to make this into a quality product, cloisonné if possible.

My personal opinion is that this would be a once in a life opportunity to represent our brand as it should be--with distinction blazing down winding roads.

Your thoughts?

PS: I have a design ready (non negotiable :)) and can post an image if we can generate enough interest.

Mo Faraz

73 sunroof 2002 (past)  |  73 CSi (present)  |  FAQ Member #2538

2002 decals (mofaraz.com)     |     eBay

Thanks guys, I will admit that I know very little about badge design, but I will be your soldier in getting these made. 

Here is the design.....If you love it, great!.....If not, please take a moment to let it soak in....the meanings + design all come from good intentions :)

I also know that the car is not a 2002 (BMW 507) but I wanted to look at the big picture and it seemed the 507 was produced mid-century and is and icon of BMW design.

(Yes BMW 2002 w/hofmeister kink is too...)

BMW_100_Badge.jpg?18284914274888787509

I'm a sucker for grill badges!  Will it be cloisonne?

Since BMW is 100 y/o, and the 2002 is 50 y/o, doesn't that put the 2002 in the "sweet spot" to be depicted on the badge, or is it too pedestrian?

John in VA

'74 tii "Juanita"  '85 535i "Goldie"  '86 535i "M-POSSTR"  

'03 530i "Titan"  '06 330ci "ZHPY"

bmw_spin.gif

John,

I appreciate your enthusiasm, I am working on finding a manufacturer to make them out of cloisonné cost permitting.  So a higher quality, but also a higher price....will be worth it IMHO.

As for the lack of 2002, I love the car so much.....but what happened from a design standpoint is it seemed too boxy as a silhouette (front, back, side) so the curvy, vivacious 507 won out...for now....

Another reason I couldn't decide on what car to include (coupes are nice too) is that it seemed the 507 could be a neutral choice so any BMW owner could represent this badge....

A window detail would have been nice, but its been featured before & not a design possibility for me.

I will keep posting updates on timeline, pricing, color schemes, etc... as they become available.....in the meantime, keep the comments rolling & thanks for your interest!

Mo Faraz

Looks like a BMW sponsored, American Express card.

I like that idea, you can probably place it in your wallet if you have one of those straight 'half-fold' ones :)....just have to find a way to set the smart chip on it for you.....

-M

The design doesn't flow well. Non-negotiable you say?

Can you explain the most prominent feature, the "dedication" item?

I will try not to make a long design analysis so it will be 'a + b = c' answers....I hope that's ok?

Symbol of ancient soldier = dominance of an idea to achieve a goal

WWI = beginning of BMW brand and also sanctions which forced the BMW motorcycle birth

Any long celebration is about the people involved + their dedication.....I could have chosen a driver with goggles, prominent engineer/designer, or the oldest form of organization I could think of that helped form and shape our brand which to me was a soldier type symbol.

I hope that has shed some light on it.

Mo Faraz