• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

BMW Centennial Badge

mo02

Please seek the help of a design professional. My sense of the design is that there is no typographic hierarchy and the layout is simply a collection of small scale images (some of them obscure--like the trojan head). I wonder what BMW AG has in the works.

I am at a loss for words, you know more about your suggestions than do I...

I can spend hours explaining how this design works....

FYI I have seen the pre-production vintage BMW clubs badge... Nothing more than a 328 with '100' lifted off the actual BMW trunk badge text...so maybe less is more

Mo

73 sunroof 2002 (past)  |  73 CSi (present)  |  FAQ Member #2538

2002 decals (mofaraz.com)     |     eBay

To "busy".

K.I.S.S.

mac.

PS.  But you probably gave the idea to BMW AG and they are probably working on one themselves right now.

If I'm giving BMW ideas, then someone probably not doing there job :)....

Honestly everything I have seen is either far too literal...this was a collection of just the basics

I'll work up some sort of 2002 specific badge, I think that is more fair to this forum.  Maybe a e9 coupe specific one also. 

The Hofmeister kink actually looks good on my test file, so stayed tuned.  If they become a 2002 specific either the numbers have to work to be made stateside (with quality?) or off to China with the coupe badges. (I have yet to receive quotes so nothing concrete at this point)

Mo

Ed, thanks for your suggestions, this is still a work in progress....

So I think we can go exclusive for e9 and separate for BMW 2002....

I have put together a quick mock up, my only quip would be that the side view is flat (2 dimensional)

The flip side would be a 3D image which may or may not look better, I don't know.

The gold around the lettering should be solid space and the scaling (textured) background is unpainted & badge material (most likely bronze).

I would like to get some direction to this, but understand the design must be appealing.

TIA

Mo Faraz

2_Badge_Story.jpg?1315661244138738094

Edited by mo02

Applaud your efforts in making the attempt, but the project could take several forms: grill badge, dash plaque, key fob, or license plate. Each product has specific production requirements and limitations. Deciding on a final production size and shape should be instrumental in starting a design.

As others have mentioned, focusing on the BMW anniversary incorporating 2002 images would have the most meaning for FAQ members. Rather than an entire car, stylized versions of a kidney grill, tail-light, Hofmeister kink, dash cluster, etc., would be easier to produce. Simplicity is the key--it is impossible to include every facet of BMW history in one design.

Effective design has a variation in elements to indicate importance, i.e., "BMW" should be much larger than "100 Jahres", with "1916 to 2016" as a much smaller byline. Think of the hierarchy in newspaper design with the usage of headlines vs. column titles vs. body text.

Type selection for BMW designs is a no-brainer: any "swiss-style" font such as Helvetica, Akzidenz-Groteck, Swiss721, Nimbus, Univers, for example. BTW, the BMW font (licensed) used for the corporate roundel logo is a bastardized version of Helvetica. The use of script-style fonts is generally the domain of wedding invitations.

Hope this is helpful.

Well that is a very thoughtful & complete answer, I do appreciate it--thanks. 

I must say, I will have to re-read your post a few times to let is soak-in.  But it seems like we both want to make the best badge possible which is great.

I am working on a updated design that gives depth w/ 3D car + winding road.  There will also be a checkered flag + possibly a wreath (I hope these are not cliché)

Overall I know with a little feedback & lots of hard work something good will transpire.

I will post an update as soon as I can, and thanks to all those who have expressed interest thus far.

Best Wishes,

Mo Faraz

Edited by mo02

• 2 weeks later...

I am almost hesitant to post an update to this thread.....I had to search long & deep for inspiration & I don't know if it will resonate with all 2002 owners....

Some solace was found by channeling Top Gear 'Mood Room' although I don't think I could put a mustache on a 2002 & then call it a badge :)

Left-hand side is 'w/o decoration' & on the right is 'w/ decoration'.......I will let you guys decide which looks better (they are both the same to me)

Enamel_Badge-Layout2.jpg?948220176639213

I am almost hesitant to post an update to this thread.....I had to search long & deep for inspiration & I don't know if it will resonate with all 2002 owners....

Some solace was found by channeling Top Gear 'Mood Room' although I don't think I could put a mustache on a 2002 & then call it a badge :)

Left-hand side is 'w/o decoration' & on the right is 'w/ decoration'.......I will let you guys decide which looks better (they are both the same to me)

Enamel_Badge-Layout2.jpg?948220176639213

Make the Blue background an Roundel!

Steve Vonk

'74 BMW 2002 Atlantik

I most likely will not use the roundel, firstly because it is owned by BMW & more importantly is that every car already sports two roundels and that should be sufficient.

What I am looking is to get about 25 owners I interested in paying up front so I can get these made. Just need to decide if decoration is necessary or not.

I will gauge interest and begin getting quotes before I update....this will hopefully be an enamel badge although final price will be the deciding factor.

Mo

I do like the last designs the best so far.  The mood room has done you well!!  Has that classic look!!

Thank you kindly....the process does feel a lot like making & testing a 'Hamerhead Eagle I-thrust'....I thought they did a great job -_-

A quick update.  It has been brought to my attention that this year will be the 50th anniversary of the 2002 (1966-2016) so the badge should read '50' not '100.'

I am also working on many small changes to the badge design, but it will be the same size & shape.  The ultimate goal is to see what it costs to get them made, then generate a list of interested owners for a grille badge.

Apparently it takes 12 weeks to produce, but that seems like the maximum amount of time & I will try to find a shorter route if possible.

Another update soon with more artwork & a final cost to follow.

Thanks,

Mo