• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Thoughts on Estimate for Front Suspension Fixes

silasmoon

Loose steering can be as simple as a steering box that is out of adjustment.

Have you pulled the red plug on the top of the steering box to see if it has oil in it?

Does your box leak?  I did not know mine did until I added oil.  : /

The adjustment is made with the large nut/'bolt' on the top of the box.

Hopefully there is adjustment left, which is determined by whether there are threads above the nut.

(Charging that kind of money ($240) to replace the tie rods and center link, then adding $125 to adjust toe in seems... rude).

You said you had receipts for the last ten years of service.  What has been done to the car?

Edited by '76Mintgrun'02

I hadn't realized that bay area labor had escalated to that number.  Wow.  Labor hours don't seem out of line for what they are doing.  Interesting that they are "re-using your engine oil and filter".  Seriously?  Come on, they are going to drain out whatever is in there and then put it back in?  No.  Oil filter maybe it if was just put on.  Nit picky, but still interesting.  Good luck.

www.alpinabwm2002.com

I've taken my '70 2002 to Bavarian Professionals in Berkeley and they do excellent work and are very detailed. They know how to work on 2002s (which isn't very hard, but they have a lot of experience and could identify what needed to be done faster than I could). Are you working with Nat? He is good at prioritizing what should be done and what can wait.

The cost of labor may be high, but this is the Bay Area so everything is high. They do great work though. Parts wise, they quoted me less for some original BMW parts than what I could find on my own - but that was not true of all parts. They will install your own parts but won't guarantee them.

Good luck.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I'll be the guy to say it, you can do all of these jobs, no problem. The key is make it a bunch of smaller jobs. This is how I did it on my '02 and it's worked great!

Split it up into sections like Front End, Transmission and Drive Shaft, Engine Mounts and Oil Pan. This will make the task less daunting and make is to you don't get burned out quite so fast. 

Quickly doing a parts total is in the $600 range at somewhere like Blunttech, AND I added more parts to the list (ball joints, shifter rebuild kit, transmission output shaft seal kit, idler arm bushings)

So basically, I'd say go ahead and knock this one out! Good luck, we're rooting for you!

-Nathan
'76 2002 in Malaga (110k Original, 2nd Owner, sat for 20 years and now a toy)
'86 Chevy K20 (6.2 Turbo Diesel build) & '46 Chevy 2 Ton Dump Truck
'74 Suzuki TS185, '68 BSA A65 Lightning (garage find), '74 BMW R90S US Spec #2

So I think I will take it over to A1 with JP in San Rafael - their quote was pretty damn competitive. Kicker is I was hoping to drive the car about 200 miles this weekend for President's Day. I took the car up to 70 on the highway a few times, and am just debating if I should ride it on some windy back-roads knowing good and well the tie rods need replacement considering a busted tie-rod is pretty catastrophic.

Is there something I could eyeball if I throw it on some jack-stands to make sure it won't go kaputt? 

To assess how bad the front end is, have an accomplce turn the steering wheel back and forth about 1/4 to 1/2 turn,while you peer under the car with a flashliht to watch the steering linkage moving. Put your hand on each joint to see which are loose.

Do this with the weight on the wheels, so there is resistance to the steering input.  If a tie rod end is really bad, you will see/feel movement.  

You can jack the front wheels off the ground and grasp each one at the top and bottom, to give them a wiggle.  There should be a little bit of slop felt in the bearings, but not a lot.

Visual inspection of the rubber bits will tell you a lot.  Maybe snap some photos and post them here. 

It sounds to me like I need a new job.

t

Or more duct tape. 

I know DT works to keep my head bolts, differential and carburetor securely fastened, but I hadn't realized it was a viable substitute for brake pads and shoes. 

What happens when the car is actually driven?  :wacko:

21f52251161f457d7176743ce7aa7211.jpg

As I suggested, get somebody to move the steering wheel back and forth about 1/8 turn each way I suppose, while you get down on the ground and use a flash light to see if there is play in any of the joints, or use your fingers to fell for any play at the joint.Any idea of the mileage on these parts?

You shouldn't need to replace the pitman, they are literally indestructible. I had my steering, tie-rods , bushings and ball joints, control arms, bearings and alignment done for C$2,000 which is about US $1,400. My advice is let the pros do it.

Sent from my SM-T110 using Tapatalk