• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Opinion on steelies I built for Schnitzer widebody Ti clone.

Guest dq48

I engineered and built these steelies for my current build. The machinist measured wrong before welding and made them 15mm to deep,per my instructions. Are they too deep?  Don't want that rice-burner look.  Opinions please and thanks.   dq

14" neu classe centers with Ford outers, 6" front and 7" rear.   Poss. 195/50/14 fronts and  225/50/14 rears. 

post-36672-0-90288200-1455054289_thumb.j

post-36672-0-41166800-1455054310_thumb.j

post-36672-0-71197900-1455054327_thumb.j

post-36672-0-21346200-1455054353_thumb.j

post-36672-0-17391300-1455054379_thumb.j

I don't know if they "look" too deep..but they are uber cool.... really.

get some fat tires on and lets see.........

look at the vintage racing pics thread....many used deep dish offsets then....

its a matter of your preference as well.

PS

Schnitzer wide body Ti ?....

Edited by jrkoupe

Not too deep in my opinion, Dan -- with the wide-body fenders. I'd be tempted to run them, however -- considering their depth -- with center caps and exposed lug nuts rather than dog-dish hubcaps.

Keep us posted!

Regards,

Steve

1976 2002 Polaris, 2742541 (original owner)

1973 2002tii Inka, 2762757 (not-the-original owner)

Those look good, but if you plan on driving this car aggressively, you may want to play with the spring rates and swaybars. Staggered wheels have always been very fickle on 2002s, and the handling will be thrown off. Marshall explained this once, but because I don't fully remember how he explained it, maybe it's best that he does.

And I hope you braced the car a bit more than stock. If you drive hard (and I sincerely hope you do), your widebody fenders and rear quarter panels will crack around the edges from body flex. Prevent this by introducing more bracing between the frame rails and shock towers. 

Beautiful car! 

some cars

some motorcycles

some airplanes

some surfboards

With your flares I believe they will look good. What makes me wonder is your plan for front tire. There's 30mm difference in diameter between front and rear. I would try 205/55/14 to match the rears.

As long as you have wide enough rubber on the rim I don't think you need to worry about rice burner feeling. I know exactly what you mean and I hate that look :)

Tommy

Edited by Tommy

Racing is Life - everything before and after is just waiting!

Peterexpart, That is funny,as I am built like Popeye, more like a fire hydrant.  The thing is,the closer the hub is to the centerline of the barrel the more neutral the steering will remain. I'll know after I get the tires on.  Thanks,  dq