• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

today's visit to 2002AD in Pomona ......

OriginalOwner

2002s%20outside%202002AD__09%20FEB%20201

What color is the 02' on the lift?  Is that LSB ?

License plate suggests its blue....

It actually looks like Caribe, and the black plate suggests it's a '60's example, which would fit with Caribe. If not Caribe, maybe it's not an '02 color.

Regards,

Steve

1976 2002 Polaris, 2742541 (original owner)

1973 2002tii Inka, 2762757 (not-the-original owner)

License plate suggests its blue....

It actually looks like Caribe, and the black plate suggests it's a '60's example, which would fit with Caribe. If not Caribe, maybe it's not an '02 color.

Regards,

Steve

It kind of looks like Lagune Seca Blue  - From like an E46 M3

It kind of looks like Lagune Seca Blue - From like an E46 M3

Well...I don't know nuthin' about no E46's!

And I only say Caribe for two vague reasons: 1.) the black plate, demonstrating this is an early '02; and 2.) "BLU" in the vanity plates, and Caribe owners tend to be a little proud and cult-ish whereas I have no idea if LSB owners -- I just learned that abbreviation! -- are proud and cult-ish! Of course, there is nothing new under the sun, so possibly BMW drew upon historical colors in formulating a "new" color. If you wish to see a photo of a beautiful, non-LSB -- I'm getting pretty good with it now -- certainly-Caribe car, find the second post in the following thread:

http://02forum.co.uk/viewtopic.php?f=35&t=8603

In this second post, by the well-respected 02Anders -- his name at birth, I am quite certain -- there is a listing of known 1966 1600-2's, arranged sequentially by VIN number. Find VIN 1508053, a Norwegian 1600-2 freshly re-painted in its original Caribe. And feast your eyes on the Proto-LSB.

Regards,

Steve

Edited by Conserv

I saw that one all disassembled when it had just been painted. It did remind me a little more of Laguna Seca Blue, a little bit of a pop to it than the caribe but could be wrong since brand new and shiny tends to look a little different. 

Given its an 02 and an older one being worked on at a 2002 shop I'd guess Caribe because of "Purists"

Edited by theNomad

Black plates don't mean anything these days in CA.

You can get them new, sort of a bummer as they 

are now on the newest of the new cars driving around, and

no longer signify a period of time from the past.

jh

Too bad, but thank you, jh!

So that would explain why these are vanity black plates, which were probably rare or unheard-of in the '60's. Is there a difference in the digit arrangement between original and new black plates, or some other tell-tale that shouts "modern black plate"? I know that some people have their old black plates restored to like-new condition, so "shiny and black" don't alone tell the tale!

Regards,

Steve

it's blue, sorta dark-ish, nothing I've ever seen before.  

If I squint just right, I might think I see a hint of green, but nope, no green.

Not deep-dark like Atlantik, more "azure blue" like this:

swatch-royalazure.png

Here's what the internet says Caribe looks like, but as I recall the paint was a tad darker than this, with no green-ish hints ......

Caribe.jpg

I don't have any pictures better than the one I took that morning.  And maybe it would look different out in the sunlight.

as regards vanity plates, my "memory" recalls there were no black/yellow vanity plates in those days, and all were only 6 characters:  3 letters, 3 numbers.  

Cheers,

Carl

Edited by OriginalOwner

...Here's what the internet says Caribe looks like, but as I recall the paint was tad darker than this, with no green-ish hints ......

Caribe.jpg

I don't have any pictures better than the one I took that morning. And maybe it would look different out in the sunlight.

Cheers,

Carl

Carl,

BMW Caribe is much bluer than this sample. The closest I've seen to the Caribe that I recall from the old days is VIN 1508053 in the second post of the following thread:

http://02forum.co.uk/viewtopic.php?f=35&t=8603

And if you search the forum on "Caribe," you'll come up with a number of threads with additional photos.

Thanks on the original black plate tips!

Regards,

Steve

Edited by Conserv