• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

today's visit to 2002AD in Pomona ......

OriginalOwner

• 1 month later...

I was wondering if anyone local to the 2002 AD shop has had eyes on the ’72 Inka or the ’71 Colorado? I inquired on their status and received an email from Ben detailing what’s been done, he also included some pics (below). The inka has its original paint with the exception of new paint on a few panels and the Colorado was just resprayed.  His email left out any mention of rust. I am curious if anyone has any opinions as to the condition of these vehicles, estimated value, etc? Has anyone peaked under the carpets or crawled underneath? The owner of the ’72 is asking for $13k and the ’71 is at $15k.

Also, the Colorado could be the same car from this 2002faq posting but not sure: http://www.bmw2002faq.com/forums/topic/171501-1971-bmw-2002-in-washington-dc/#comment-1066100

If anyone is familiar with these vehicles, please let me know what you think. I’m on the east coast and I’m really jealous of all the roundies on the market in California. I was hoping to avoid a long distance purchase, but I’ll probably need to have one shipped.

CIMG5664.JPG

CIMG5665.JPG

CIMG5666.JPG

CIMG5668.JPG

CIMG5669.JPG

CIMG5677.JPG

Skip's CO eg L.JPG

Skip's CO fr windshield.JPG

Skip's CO L rr shock tower.JPG

Skip's CO nose.JPG

Skip's CO R rr.JPG

CIMG6896.JPG

CIMG6901.JPG

CIMG6903.JPG

CIMG6905.JPG

CIMG6906.JPG

Inka R fr.jpg

On 2/15/2016 at 8:27 AM, Conserv said:

Too bad, but thank you, jh!

So that would explain why these are vanity black plates, which were probably rare or unheard-of in the '60's. Is there a difference in the digit arrangement between original and new black plates, or some other tell-tale that shouts "modern black plate"? I know that some people have their old black plates restored to like-new condition, so "shiny and black" don't alone tell the tale!

Regards,

Steve

ah but still one can spot an original black plate car from a "new" black plate fairly easily..

Yup, real '60s plates are all six digit. The new ones are reflective black and seven digits and require an annual fee. That's why I paint my own, it's technically a felony to alter a CA plate but I'm not trying to get away with anything shady and have already had two CHP officers tell me "nice job"

IMG_20150626_172345_792.jpg

Late to post but that car does look more like LSB. 

My Caribe car has an original black plate, however it's respray was a little bit too light. Luckily the paint is original in the trunk and under the hood. 

And I second what Jim says^^ have the car inspected by an independent. 

DSCN2262.JPG

'68 Caribe 1600-1563167