• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Rust issue under rear seats

Oregon2002

Hello everyone. I am working on restoring a 1975 '02. It is not a rare model or famous one.  I have found extensive rust under the rear seats which include the horizontal stabilizing bar bolt spots. It has separated and no longer connected to the rear subframe and not connected to the body anymore. Does anyone have any advise on the repair for it? I know they don't make much for replacement panels in that area. I will post pictures of the Rusted spots later on tonight. I'm just wondering when enough is enough and call it quits on a too far rusted shell. I know some good metal fabricators and welders.

Any help is appreciated.

Thanks!!

24854494972_5fffcc4671_b.jpg24879166991_4670526a68_b.jpg24946159286_40af239a05_b.jpg24604855939_86c089b4c8_b.jpg

Edited by Oregon2002

A lot of people would call it a day. have you checked the rest of the shell out? Structures under the front wings? Frame rails?

Not straight forward repair and if you need to more (potentially much more) elsewhere then you have to question the viability of that shell unless you are significantly attached to the car for reasons beyond money. Anything can be repaired and if you know good fabricators, that is a good start but you have to ask at what cost.

rtheriaque wrote:

Carbs: They're necessary and barely controlled fuel leaks that sometimes match the air passing through them.

My build blog:http://www.bmw2002faq.com/blog/163-simeons-blog/

Unless you have a VERY STRONG emotional attachment to this car (your dad bought it new, it was the first car you ever drove, Hans Stuck took you on a lap around the Nurburgring in it in 1975 etc) or you really want to learn how to do major chassis rust repair this looks like a terminal case.  As Simeon said "Anything can be repaired.....at what cost" .  It's just a standard production 1975 2002, if it was a Turbo or a Ti it could be worth saving.  A Tii would be a stretch. 

You can easily have twice the amount of money into just the chassis repair than the car would be worth if it was complete and PERFECT.  At $100/hour (a low estimate these days) replacing the entire floor and rear crossmember pickup points just the labor could easily be $5000-6000.  You still need to buy the panels and paint it.  If the floors are that bad I'm sure the rockers, A-pillars, doors and fenders are not much better.  It is quite possible the LEAST amount of money you are going to loose on this project will be to walk away from it right now.   

1970 1602 (purchased 12/1974)

1974 2002 Turbo

1988 M5

1986 Euro 325iC

Thank you all for your input. I am not 100% attached to the car but at the same time I am. I have found someone who does wonderful work for $20.00 an hour for the welding and fabricating. I am worried about the structural integrity of the vehicle after seeing this.

This is the weird part. the trunk has little to no rust (surface rust), front floor pans are good, frame rails are good, front valance is rusted through as usual on a lot of them. Rockers are good, A-pillars are good, doors are good. Those two areas are the worst. Trunk lid has some rust on it but that is easily swappable. I want to fix it as its my first restoration and will have sentimental value in it as it will most likely be my last project with my dad in his lifetime. He has fallen in love with it as much as I have.

I have already spent some money on this already. Haven't spent over $1k on it yet. I'm imagining the value on it if its perfect right now would be around $7-10k at the max.. I'm not looking to build it and sell it for a profit. I am building this to enjoy the pure driving experience these cars offer. I could buy another shell I am sure but only time will tell. I have been in contact with 2002ad.com so hopefully they will be able to help me out.