• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Evaluating a '68 1600Ti

FGS

Hi everybody,

Long story short: I've found a 1600Ti which needs a total restoration. The seller says that the car is complete and original with the exception of the front seats and the shift lever knob which have been stolen while the car was stored in a garage far from his home.

He sent me the chassis plate (#1585171) but I'm waiting to receive a photo of the engine number.

I've some questions:

1) Is it possible to know if the chassis number is correct without contacting BMW?

2) I can't understand the color name, do you?

3) The car has a black front grille, is that correct?

4) The seller underlines that the car has still its original carburetors, are those so valuable?

Thanks in advance.

Francesco

post-47050-0-09225100-1455482691_thumb.j

post-47050-0-51251800-1455482693_thumb.j

post-47050-0-56889400-1455482768_thumb.p

post-47050-0-84605000-1455482916_thumb.j

Edited by FGS

Well, the nose isn't original, that's for sure.

But the rest of it- well, it mostly looks ok.  Through the internet.

In my book, that would be a total basket case.

I don't know where you are, but in the PNW, the ti

just doesn't seem to have the cachet of the tii, even tho

the ti is much more rare.

More will be forthcoming, I'm sure.

t

"I learn best through painful, expensive experience, so I feel like I've gotten my money's worth." MattL

Well, the nose isn't original, that's for sure.

But the rest of it- well, it mostly looks ok.  Through the internet.

In my book, that would be a total basket case.

I don't know where you are, but in the PNW, the ti

just doesn't seem to have the cachet of the tii, even tho

the ti is much more rare.

More will be forthcoming, I'm sure.

t

Italy.

Strange but here in Europe the Ti series is even more appreciated than the Ti, I suppose mostly because of the carburetors which are easier to work on and, of course, because of the production numbers.

F.

Edited by FGS

What's kind of exhaust manifold is that? The carbs may be original but they look like they need some serious work.

Does the engine turn by hand?

rtheriaque wrote:

Carbs: They're necessary and barely controlled fuel leaks that sometimes match the air passing through them.

My build blog:http://www.bmw2002faq.com/blog/163-simeons-blog/

What's kind of exhaust manifold is that? The carbs may be original but they look like they need some serious work.

Does the engine turn by hand?

That is the mainfold cover. I didn't ask if the engine turns but, as long as I'd restore every bolt of it, I don't care about it. My concerns are only about the correctness of the car.

Edited by FGS

Yup. Like Toby said. The nose panel is from a later square tail car. They use different grills and kidney. 1600's have all silver grills with no slats, BUT I think 1600ti's had black slats like 2002's. Plus the added 1600ti badge.

Turf is an awesome, rare color. And personally I'd take a TI over a TII any day.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

- Project 67' 1600-2

- Pig Cheek 71' 1602

Yup. Like Toby said. The nose panel is from a later square tail car. They use different grills and kidney. 1600's have all silver grills with no slats, BUT I think 1600ti's had black slats like 2002's. Plus the added 1600ti badge.

Turf is an awesome, rare color. And personally I'd take a TI over a TII any day.

So the issue is not just about the black grill: are you telling me that the front panel has been modified in order to fit a later grill?

Edited by FGS

Yes. It looks like the nose panel was replaced with a later one. Early grills (the correct ones for a round tail car) do not fit in the 74-76 nose panels.

I doubt anyone changed the nose panel to fit the late (plastic) grills. Most likely the original one was too rusty or the car got in a fender bender.

Edited by jmr_1602

- Project 67' 1600-2

- Pig Cheek 71' 1602

So the issue is not just about the black grill: are you telling me that the front panel has been modified in order to fit a later grill?

No - this later nose uses the black plastic side grills & a different center grill vs.the original nose that used metal side grills & a different center grill.

John in VA

'74 tii "Juanita"  '85 535i "Goldie"  '86 535i "M-POSSTR"  

'03 530i "Titan"  '06 330ci "ZHPY"

bmw_spin.gif

VIN 1585171 is a 1600ti manufactured during the 1968 calendar year. This is according to the BMW 2002 Club of Columbia's VIN decoder:

http://www.bmwclasicos.com/vin.php

An email to BMW Archives with the car's VIN will confirm the specific manufacturing date (info.grouparchiv@bmwgroup.com). The Archives response will also show the factory exterior color, which should be Turf, and should thereby help confirm that this chassis is, indeed, 1585171. There is no charge for providing the Archives data and you generally receive a response in one business day.

The VIN should appear: 1.) stamped into the outer upper edge of the right front inner fender; 2.) on the riveted-on metal VIN tag on the top of the right inner fender, just aft of the right upper strut mounting point; 3.) on the small riveted-on metal VIN tag on top of the steering column; and 4.) on the car's original engine block.

Regards,

Steve

Edited by Conserv

1976 2002 Polaris, 2742541 (original owner)

1973 2002tii Inka, 2762757 (not-the-original owner)

VIN 1585171 is a 1600ti manufactured during the 1968 calendar year. This is according to the BMW 2002 Club of Columbia's VIN decoder:

http://www.bmwclasicos.com/vin.php

An email to BMW Archives with the car's VIN will confirm the specific manufacturing date. The Archives response will also show the factory exterior color, which should be Turf, and should thereby help confirming that this chassis is, indeed, 1585171. There is no charge for providing the Archives data and you generally receive a response in one business day.

The VIN should appear: 1.) stamped into the outer upper edge of the right front inner fender; 2.) on the riveted-on metal VIN tag on the top of the right inner fender, just aft of the right upper strut mounting point; 3.) on the small riveted-on metal VIN tag on top of the steering column; and 4.) on the car's original engine block.

Regards,

Steve

Hello Steve,

thank you for the detailed response. So should the engine and chassis numbers be the same?

Francesco

On February 15, 2016 at 2:51 AM, FGS said:

Hello Steve,

thank you for the detailed response. So should the engine and chassis numbers be the same?

Francesco

Francesco,

Mo already answered your question, and "numbers-matching" is clearly an important issue on a collectible car such as a ti. Unlike the car's current "post-'73 nosepiece" -- which can be replaced with an original-style pre-'74 nosepiece -- there is only one correct engine block!

The email address of BMW Archives is: info.grouparchiv@bmwgroup.com

By the way, that's a pretty special and rare steering wheel on the ti, a factory wood-rimmed version! Technically, however, I do not believe the wood-rimmed wheel was either a factory option or a factory accessory specifically for the 1600ti. I believe they were originally fitted to some 2000CS and 2000tiLux cars but they happened to also fit the 1600ti (and any 1600-2, for that matter)!

Good luck,

Steve

Edited by Conserv

1976 2002 Polaris, 2742541 (original owner)

1973 2002tii Inka, 2762757 (not-the-original owner)