• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Evaluating a '68 1600Ti

FGS

On February 14, 2016 at 4:14 PM, MatthewCervi said:

The color name is Turf.

Turf was one of the colors available at the inception of the 1600-2 in March 1966:

http://02forum.co.uk/viewtopic.php?f=35&t=8603&sid=6b348d2e91bd498c9686d62794739c81

But I believe it was also available on the 4-door Neue Klasse sedans. Turf was no longer present in the December 1968 global, all-models color and upholstery brochure so I suspect that 1968 was the last year for the color.

Regards,

Steve

Edited by Conserv

1976 2002 Polaris, 2742541 (original owner)

1973 2002tii Inka, 2762757 (not-the-original owner)

Thanks everyone for the help.

BTW they've been very quick:

"Thank you for your email.

The BMW 1600 TI VIN 1585171 was manufactured on February 07th, 1968 and delivered on February 15th, 1968 to the importer BMW Italia in Palazzolo/Verona. The original colour was Turf, paint code 073.

This model was delivered with identical chassis and engine numbers."

Edited by FGS

On February 15, 2016 at 9:21 AM, FGS said:

Thanks everyone for the help.

BTW they've been very quick:

"Thank you for your email.

The BMW 1600 TI VIN 1585171 was manufactured on February 07th, 1968 and delivered on February 15th, 1968 to the importer BMW Italia in Palazzolo/Verona. The original colour was Turf, paint code 073.

This model was delivered with identical chassis and engine numbers."

Great, Francesco!

Good luck! Please keep us informed and post LOTS of photos. The 1600ti was never officially imported to the U.S., and was produced in much smaller quantities than the 2002ti, so I've never seen a 1600ti first-hand in 43 years of '02 ownership!

Regards,

Steve

Edited by Conserv

Great, Francesco!

Good luck! Please keep us informed and post LOTS of photos. The 1600ti was never officially imported to the U.S., and was produced in much smaller quantities than the 2002ti, so I've never seen a 1600ti first-hand in 43 years of '02 ownership!

Regards,

Steve

Sure, we'll see if the deal goes on. If yes, for sure I will post a lot of photos here.

That's been on the market in Italy for a very long time -  I'd haggle hard on the 7k euro asking price. 

I'm watching this car since it came out on the market. This car is expensive, it needs a lot of work and it is located in the deep south. But - to me - if it is matching numbers still is worth the effort. I'm currently restoring a 3.0 CSi so restoring this one should be like eating a piece of cake compared to the work required for an E9. We'll see what happens.

Edited by FGS

VIN 1585171 is a 1600ti manufactured during the 1968

The VIN should appear: 3.) on the small riveted-on metal VIN tag on top of the steering column; and

Regards,

Steve

a minor correction: there is no riveted VIN tag on the top steering column pad,  that is a USA-specific item as best i can surmise. 

i still have sad thoughts about the two ti's that were left to rot in the tundra in calgary canada about 8 or so years ago.  if they'd been under current registration and title i might have gotten one out of there before the snowfall.  the guy offered it to me for $800.  i ultimately settled on a ti-tribute car for my '68 1600 Turf that was given to me.  it's on my 'gonna' list....

Former owner of 2570440 & 2760440
Current owner of 6 non-op 02's

& 1 special alfa

On February 15, 2016 at 5:58 PM, jerry said:

a minor correction: there is no riveted VIN tag on the top steering column pad,  that is a USA-specific item as best i can surmise...

Thank you, Jerry. Good to know!

Regards,

Steve

Edited by Conserv

The VIN should appear: 1.) stamped into the outer upper edge of the right front inner fender; 2.) on the riveted-on metal VIN tag on the top of the right inner fender, just aft of the right upper strut mounting point; 3.) on the small riveted-on metal VIN tag on top of the steering column; and 4.) on the car's original engine block.

Regards,

Steve

Steve, where - exactly - should it be stamped on the block? The seller sent me a pic about a four digit number stamped near the housing bell but I doubt that is the number I'm looking for.

Thanks

On February 16, 2016 at 6:31 AM, FGS said:

Steve, where - exactly - should it be stamped on the block? The seller sent me a pic about a four digit number stamped near the housing bell but I doubt that is the number I'm looking for.

Thanks

Where the rear end (nose) of the starter motor engages the flywheel, there is a flat machined boss on the engine block, facing upward, on which the engine number (car's VIN) has been stamped. The area is immediately adjacent to the transmission bell-housing and must be viewed from the top. The intake manifold and rear carburetor on a ti will make it somewhat difficult to see -- the rear snorkel of the airbox will have to be removed as it will be in the way. The number has a "star" at either end, such as " + 1585715 + ".

In the attached photo of my tii, marked " + 2762757 + ", taken looking downward, the return heater hose partially obscures the flat machined boss. The transmission was out of the car when I took this photo, so the flywheel's ring gear is partly visible and the blue-gray area at the top is actually the shop's floor. The intake manifold and starter are at the bottom of the photo. Stated differently, the top of the photo is towards the firewall and the bottom of the photo is towards the radiator.

Regards,

Steve

post-41123-0-01360500-1455625890_thumb.j

Edited by Conserv

On February 16, 2016 at 8:30 AM, FGS said:

So far this is the only number he sent me, I've asked him to check it better.

That looks like a spot behind the head. The correct spot is "behind" the starter, which would be in the top right corner of the photo. Oil and a light brushing with a wire brush generally shows it off best -- and I suspect that's what the seller used here.

In the photo below of my '76's engine, the flat VIN boss is just above the un-painted starter nose peeking out. Just to the right of the VIN boss is a "lifting loop" cast into the block. In the photo you received of the ti, a wire is running through that loop. The VIN number, in my experience, is rotated 180 degrees from the number in your photograph. I almost think I can see one of the " + " signs at the edge of your photograph.

What I find surprising is that the VIN boss on the ti is so rusty and un-touched, and the seller is sufficiently un-familiar with the engine number location that it suggests that no one has ever inquired about the engine number.

Regards,

Steve

post-41123-0-83420600-1455632961_thumb.j

Edited by Conserv