• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

1967 BMW 1600-2 in Kennewick, WA

Mark92131

Just got it dropped off. The 0% advertised rust was clearly bs, but I think its very restorable. Where the rear parcel shelf goes is pretty bad, but looks like an easy place to work on the metal. Could be some problem spots near one front wheel well but i've seem much worse. Hard to tell on the floors but nothing obviously bad, Rear tail light is pretty bad, and the spare tire hold down was rusted in place so I assume what's under there isn't great, though rust did not go through to the other side. Lots of surface rust needs cleaned up and I'm sure there will be a few hidden surprises beneath some of them. Shock towers looked good and no obvious signs of patches, I think the paint is original (the color certainly is). Hood has the original non-adjustable stoppers, pretty much every piece I looked for was there (no football washer reservoir though, no rear windshield). Appears to be stock shift knob, mirror, trim, steering wheel (with a different spare). The dash is pretty beat, will have to assess that later.

The VIN on the block matched the cars vin, so at least the block is original (who knows about the head and valve cover).

Unfortunately, I have no room or shop to work on the car, but it was located in the city my parents live in (and I was passing through). They have room (though not a shop) and I had the car brought there. I will probably get a Harbor Freight canopy to protect it for now. I will clean it up, take stock of all the spare parts (determine what is spare and what is replacement for a busted part), and try to disassemble the car to assess the body as much as possible. There is a decent chance it ends up too big a project for me and I just sell the spare parts and clean up whats left and find someone who can restore it to glory, but I really love caribe roundies, so if I can do it, I will. For now, working on it when it is 3.5 hours away from where I live means this could be an extremely long project, goal one is to not let it get worse.

Of course the guy claims it was a barn find, and he had sweet looking old italian coupe from the same place (I didn't recognize the brand). Judging by the state of both cars and the number of spare parts, the previous owner was indeed a hoarder. Barn find, garage find, doesn't matter to me. Last registered 18 years ago and I think if it were outside the whole time it would be a goner, even in Eastern WA.

Excited for what lays ahead, though I didn't really have this money lying around to buy this, I think with all the extra parts the worst that happens is I get close to breaking even and get the car to someone else to finish.

This is great news! Congrats!

I especially like your approach: fix it yourself and/or stabilize it for the next owner.

The matching number block is absolutely great! Heads and valve covers are less critical, as they're dated but not "matched" by VIN. The casting month and year for the head are generally cast into the intake side of the head, approximately between the 3rd and 4th cylinder intake ports. If the head is original to the car, the casting date will obviously need to be April 1967 or earlier. Most ribbed valve covers seem to have casting dates on the underside, just as most un-ribbed valve covers seem to have no casting dates. We have threads on both identifying heads and identifying valve covers.

Check the dates on the four older rims; I suspect they could all be original!

Again, congrats!

Steve

Edited by Conserv

1976 2002 Polaris, 2742541 (original owner)

1973 2002tii Inka, 2762757 (not-the-original owner)

Be careful storing it in one of those HF tents......they hold in moisture. Make sure the ground is covered with thick plastic to hold back water vapor from condensing on the car's belly, and ventilate the tent well. I've seen cars turn to dust inside those things. A dry storage facility would be better, but they cost $ to rent.

Anthony

----------------------------------------------------------------------

1972 2002 Atlantik

Bunch of old airhead BMW motorcycles

Lancia, perhaps?

I don't think so. I think I would have recognized that. I could have sworn it started with an S (and was written across the hood). They haven't listed it for sale yet (none of the names of former Italian automakers lists i've found look right).

Be careful storing it in one of those HF tents......they hold in moisture. Make sure the ground is covered with thick plastic to hold back water vapor from condensing on the car's belly, and ventilate the tent well. I've seen cars turn to dust inside those things. A dry storage facility would be better, but they cost $ to rent.

That's the kind i'm going to use. I think i'll add some vents, or a solar fan. Might leave the door open most the time to help ventilate it. Not too humid or wet around here most the time, so mostly just have to get through the next few months. Thank you for the advice.