• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

article ...... Top Gear drives the BMW 2002 Turbo

OriginalOwner

The way those guys drive, I wouldn't let them near my car.

Disagree with the "dead fish" steering and "arthritic clutch" comments though analogies, personifications are colorful. The author described the power as a "smooth bulge" ... rather than a spike - always thought the "punch in the kidneys" phrase was a little exaggerated.

Nice to see these cars get the press they deserve as a seminal entwicklung  (project/development) which still influence modern car design.

m6smitten1.jpg

Either the car in question is knackered, hence the slack steering , noisy suspension , arthritic clutch etc etc or the test driver is more used to modern drive by wire style cars ;)

1970 4 speed 2002 (Daily driver/track car ) 
1974  Hybrid powered twin cam engine, Pig Cheeks , ( now a round tail.) Getting ready to Sell 

Wait-

Top Gear has been replaced by a sanitized blank panel in the middle of your screen.

Top Gear, the tv show, ended a while back,ignominiously, (yes, I had to look up the spelling) over some personal abuse about cold sandwiches. And racist comments.  And generally childlike British behaviour...

Because, yes Clarkson IS a big, fat idiot.  That did not make him unamusing to watch, however...

If you look carefully, you might recognise some of the faces under the closed face helmets...

t

"I learn best through painful, expensive experience, so I feel like I've gotten my money's worth." MattL

Bit of British history: Top Gear used to be a serious motoring show on the BBC hosted by Tiff Needell and others where Clarkson was a much more understated 'supporting act'. They used to review everyday cars and it was a much more staid format than the recent show.

This format was canned and came back with Hammond and co while the old show (some presenters, style etc) went to a different channel (Channel 5) and became Fith Gear

rtheriaque wrote:

Carbs: They're necessary and barely controlled fuel leaks that sometimes match the air passing through them.

My build blog:http://www.bmw2002faq.com/blog/163-simeons-blog/

Its interesting watching the evolution of Top Gear and the rise of its, in hangar dickhead audience and the converse fall of standards in British life. I wish I could return to the country I was brought up in.

What happened to the real Top Gear of Raymond Baxter and William Woollard when Tiff, God bless him, was just a bit player?

02tii 2751928 (2582)

Its interesting watching the evolution of Top Gear and the rise of its, in hangar dickhead audience and the converse fall of standards in British life. I wish I could return to the country I was brought up in.

What happened to the real Top Gear of Raymond Baxter and William Woollard when Tiff, God bless him, was just a bit player?

Don't remember Raymond Baxter on the program, but he was a character for sure. I do remember Top Gear being presented by (of all people) Angela Rippon, with guesting appearances (and later permanent) by Noel Edmonds.

Unfortunately the show evolved into a comedy program rather than a motoring program. Fifth Gear at least attempted to concentrate on cars & drivers.

Les

'74 '02 - Jade Touring (RHD)

'76 '02 - Delk's "Da Beater"

FAQ Member #17