• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Valve Cover Media blasting

john02md

It's just an open baffle in there, but it is going to be caked full of old oil which will attract ANY kind of media like duct tape.  There will be no way of thoroughly removing the media without removing the cover and scrubbing it. I've been running mine without the cover for 3 years with no adverse effects.

Life's a garden baby, dig it.

My web album

75 Fjord

73 RHD Targa

I have had several M10 and M30 valve covers media blasted, tumbled and then clear ceramic coated. I used engine degreaser, long thin soft wire brushes and compressed air to remove any remaining media. It comes out easily, no need to remove the cover.

HBChris

`73 3.0CS Chamonix, `69 2000 NK Atlantik

`70 2800 Polaris, `79 528i Chamonix

I removed the cover and the plastic sleeve for media blasting and powdercoating.  The cover was attached with pressed in rivets so I ground the heads and drilled out the rivets.  My intention is to reattach the plate with self tapping screws and loctite.

post-47846-0-88594800-1456348356_thumb.j

post-47846-0-63161400-1456348405_thumb.j

post-47846-0-33000200-1456348316_thumb.j

Ruben

I reattached the cover inside with new rivets. I have to admit i feared the cover or rivets could fall into the head, but it's holding a few years now without a problem and BMW did it the same way.

What's that plastic thingie for? I alway thought someone broke off a plastic hose and removed it from my valve cover. 

• 5 months later...

Did you use the self-tapping screws?  How did that work out?  I removed the plate to make sure all the blasting media was out of there, and now am considering several ways to put it back.  Thoughts so far include self tapping screws, J-B Weld, or soldering it on. I personally like the idea of something positive like screws.  If the bond breaks on the other stuff, the plate ends up in the valve train, which doesn't sound good.  

Or do I even need the plate?  Is it there to keep too much oil from being sucked out?

Thanks