• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

318ti parts

fsf517

Hello faqers, question. I have acquired a 1997 318ti. This car as it turns out has bad rings, no compression. I dismantled the engine. At this time I'm considering nixing the entire project. It's an m44 motor. Automatic trans. Car is complete with steel wheels. What parts if any can be used on a 2002? I'm not sure yet if the diff is LSD . Is the intake of any use if I ever go Injection? Seats are a bit non era looking, but in great shape, black. Alternator? Thanks Fred

Hello faqers, question. I have acquired a 1997 318ti. This car as it turns out has bad rings, no compression. I dismantled the engine. At this time I'm considering nixing the entire project. It's an m44 motor. Automatic trans. Car is complete with steel wheels. What parts if any can be used on a 2002? I'm not sure yet if the diff is LSD . Is the intake of any use if I ever go Injection? Seats are a bit non era looking, but in great shape, black. Alternator? Thanks Fred

Unless you're gonna rebuild the engine for a 2002 install, there's not much on an E36 that will easily go into or onto a 2002.  Wheel bolt pattern is different, steering wheel has an airbag (and is ugly), brakes won't work on an '02 etc etc.  

It's possible that the LSD (if it's a 4.11) might work on an E30 318is, but someone more familiar with those diffs than I would have to confirm that...

mike

'69 Nevada sunroof-Wolfgang-bought new
'73 Sahara sunroof-Ludwig-since '78
'91 Brillantrot 318is sunroof-Georg Friederich 
Fiat Topolini (Benito & Luigi), Renault 4CVs (Anatole, Lucky Pierre, Brigette) & Kermit, the Bugeye Sprite

As Mike said earlier, about the only thing you could use from a 318ti would be an M44 conversion. Nothing else will work. I autocross a 99 318ti and there is absolutely nothing that swaps over. You might be able to use the front seats but the brackets for the ti seats are vastly different than the 02 and you would probably have to fabricate something to make it work. As suggested earlier, post what you have on 318ti.org . I am a member there was well and that is a much better site to sell, buy, get info etc for the 318ti.

1970 Granada 1600 "The 16",  2000 528i Siena Red "The 5",  1968 Mustang 289 Muscle Car Blue, 

1999 318ti M Package Green,  1982 633CSi 5 speed Blue,  2011 550i M Package Black (6 speed manual)

Also forgot to say that yes, the diff will work in an E30.  The back half of the 318ti actually has more in common with an E30 than an E36.  When I went to Koni Yellows for the 318, I had to buy front shocks for an E36 and rear shocks for an E30.  Parts for the Z3 will also fit the 318ti.  The platform for the Z3 and the 318ti are the same.  A common upgrade for the ti is to put a Z3 Mseries rear sway bar in to help get the rear of the car to rotate better.  318ti.org is the place to go.  See you there!

1970 Granada 1600 "The 16",  2000 528i Siena Red "The 5",  1968 Mustang 289 Muscle Car Blue, 

1999 318ti M Package Green,  1982 633CSi 5 speed Blue,  2011 550i M Package Black (6 speed manual)