• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

FIRST 02' - A few simple questions

Jesse.Online
Go to solution Solved by Jesse.Online,

Hey guys,

First off I had a great opportunity to buy one of many cars that I've dreamed of for years and I made a short trip last night to purchase it. I got the car back and have started to look it over in more detail. I'd like to first say that I understand how cars work and function, but have not done much mechanical work myself. That is going to change, I would like to personally get my 1970 Roundie inspection ready and able to pass. That being said there are lots of little problems that need to be addressed but I want to start with the simple ones first..

The hood does not latch and seems to be missing all parts needed to make that happen, I've not had much luck finding a reference picture so I was hoping somebody could point me in the direction to buy some replacement parts, or I'm even open to some aftermarket options.. maybe a pin solution?

Second, while looking under the hood I noticed what seems to be a sensor of some kind, but with nothing attached, I searched for a sensor reference but came back empty handed..

post-50040-0-02428200-1456530425_thumb.jpost-50040-0-87964800-1456530453_thumb.j

By the looks of thing you are missing the  entire locking assembly and well as the main support hinge.

Try looking around this link,

http://www.bmwmobiletradition-online.com/bmw/partgrp.do?model=ST12&mospid=47140&hg=18

It will help to identify what you are supposed to have. You may have to alter the date to suit your car.

Welcome and good luck....

Mike

Realoem.com is another good reference for exploded diagrams.

post-47476-0-43155600-1456533232_thumb.p

http://www.realoem.com/bmw/enUS/showparts?id=2552-USA-05-1970-114-BMW-2002&diagId=41_1163

Where are you located? Your best bet will probably be to source everything from a parts car. Maybe someone close by has what you need.

Edited by bento

Brent

1974 2002 - Megasquirt and turbo

2018 BMW M2/ 2013 Porsche Cayenne Diesel

From the picture that includes the cylinder head and distributor, it appears that the vacuum hose that runs (or is  supposed to run) from the vacuum capsule (the galvanized metal thing on the side of the distributor) to the carb is missing.  If that's so, it's gonna make your car run very strangely.  So check to make sure that hose is there.

And BTW, welcome to the 02 fraternity/sorority.  Lots of friendly folk on the FAQ and much expertise is available.  And you can check the archives for literally thousands of answers.

cheers

mike

'69 Nevada sunroof-Wolfgang-bought new
'73 Sahara sunroof-Ludwig-since '78
'91 Brillantrot 318is sunroof-Georg Friederich 
Fiat Topolini (Benito & Luigi), Renault 4CVs (Anatole, Lucky Pierre, Brigette) & Kermit, the Bugeye Sprite

From the picture that includes the cylinder head and distributor, it appears that the vacuum hose that runs (or is  supposed to run) from the vacuum capsule (the galvanized metal thing on the side of the distributor) to the carb is missing.  If that's so, it's gonna make your car run very strangely.  So check to make sure that hose is there.

And BTW, welcome to the 02 fraternity/sorority.  Lots of friendly folk on the FAQ and much expertise is available.  And you can check the archives for literally thousands of answers.

cheers

mike

Thanks Mike,

I never knew to even look for that, the car appears to run fine but takes 2 tries to get started.. I have a feeling these are just a few of the neglected things the PO ignored. 

I will admit, this car is older than I am by a good 17 years! It's literally the oldest car I've ever driven or owned and the first I've ever owned with a carb, so this is all new to me, but I have an understanding of how it all operates.

This is by far the BEST forum I've ever used and can't wait to dig in to this piece of history..

First off, Jesse, welcome!

I suspect where Henning is going on his comment relates to the extra "reinforcing ridge" on your car's inner fenders, which signify an early car. I see that you have a 6-fuse fuse box, so your car is relatively early by that standard -- I'm thinking the switch to a 12-fuse box was in 1971 -- but you've never told us the VIN or manufacturing date.

Well...one of the rites of passage here, at least from my perspective, is that you -- the newbie -- email your car's VIN to BMW Archives and request their archival data on the car (info.grouparchiv@bmwgroup.com). There is no cost. You generally receive a reply in one business day. Then you share that email with us, so:

1.) we all learn more about 2002's, and

2.) we can help you come up with an exhaustingly-long list of things that have been CHANGED on your car, since the day it was manufactured!

Your car appears to have a bracket for the later round -- not early "football-shaped" -- windshield washer reservoir, so it appears to be post-'67. So...post '67, but before the '71 changeover to 12-fuse fuse boxes. Reinforcing rib puts it early in that range, maybe '68?

Enjoy your new car

Regards,

Steve

1976 2002 Polaris, 2742541 (original owner)

1973 2002tii Inka, 2762757 (not-the-original owner)

First off, Jesse, welcome!

I suspect where Henning is going on his comment relates to the extra "reinforcing ridge" on your car's inner fenders, which signify an early car. I see that you have a 6-fuse fuse box, so your car is relatively early by that standard -- I'm thinking the switch to a 12-fuse box was in 1971 -- but you've never told us the VIN or manufacturing date.

Well...one of the rites of passage here, at least from my perspective, is that you -- the newbie -- email your car's VIN to BMW Archives and request their archival data on the car (info.grouparchiv@bmwgroup.com). There is no cost. You generally receive a reply in one business day. Then you share that email with us, so:

1.) we all learn more about 2002's, and

2.) we can help you come up with an exhaustingly-long list of things that have been CHANGED on your car, since the day it was manufactured!

Your car appears to have a bracket for the later round -- not early "football-shaped" -- windshield washer reservoir, so it appears to be post-'67. So...post '67, but before the '71 changeover to 12-fuse fuse boxes. Reinforcing rib puts it early in that range, maybe '68?

Enjoy your new car

Regards,

Steve

woah, that is insanley AWESOME.. I'll be sending out my info TODAY.

My car is a 1970. I'm also located in Austin TX, a few miles from Terry Sayther's shop. They do great work and I've taken my 335i to them many times.

post-50040-0-92872100-1456586166_thumb.j

post-50040-0-63594700-1456586191_thumb.j

I've uploaded a few better pictures to get an understanding of what I actually have.