• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

FIRST 02' - A few simple questions

Jesse.Online
Go to solution Solved by Jesse.Online,

There's quite a few '02ers in/around Austin and I'm sure one or more could help you with any parts you may need.

Pretty sure Zinz will chime in soon.

Good luck with the car.

FYI, if your hood is standing up vertical, then you probably need another centre grill that's not dinged!

Les

'74 '02 - Jade Touring (RHD)

'76 '02 - Delk's "Da Beater"

FAQ Member #17

Wow, someone stripped that hood of all it's supports and everything!

-Nathan
'76 2002 in Malaga (110k Original, 2nd Owner, sat for 20 years and now a toy)
'86 Chevy K20 (6.2 Turbo Diesel build) & '46 Chevy 2 Ton Dump Truck
'74 Suzuki TS185, '68 BSA A65 Lightning (garage find), '74 BMW R90S US Spec #2

yeah, you will orobably want a new hood OR make something custom- making the stock parts work wirh that hood is going to be hard

its not fiberglass, is it?

t

"I learn best through painful, expensive experience, so I feel like I've gotten my money's worth." MattL

Wow, someone stripped that hood of all it's supports and everything!

Yeah, thats how it came, picked it up 2 days ago now..

yeah, you will orobably want a new hood OR make something custom- making the stock parts work wirh that hood is going to be hard

its not fiberglass, is it?

t

It's not fiberglass, I am hoping to simply get some original parts and bolt them back up..

Eh, find a way to mount some good pins. Race car! :)

Thats what the PO did, then removed the pins and filled the holes, never bothered to put or find the OEM stuff again.. I may go that route if finding the OEM parts are really hard or too costly.

You are missing all of the internal strengthening members from the lid. Not a bolt on job, it will need a new (replacement) hood. Or put some pins on it and call it good b

rtheriaque wrote:

Carbs: They're necessary and barely controlled fuel leaks that sometimes match the air passing through them.

My build blog:http://www.bmw2002faq.com/blog/163-simeons-blog/

Steve, those crumple grooves on the inner front fenders weren't added until sometime in 1970.  My Feb '69 production car doesn't have 'em, and neither do any of the 68's I've seen.  But my 73 (and all the model 71 cars I've seen) do have 'em.  

They're deliberately designed weak spots so in an accident the front end will crumple in a controlled manner.  Same with the notches in the hood.  That's so the hood will fold in half, rather than punching through the windshield (and the driver or passenger) in a severe front end collision.

mike

'69 Nevada sunroof-Wolfgang-bought new
'73 Sahara sunroof-Ludwig-since '78
'91 Brillantrot 318is sunroof-Georg Friederich 
Fiat Topolini (Benito & Luigi), Renault 4CVs (Anatole, Lucky Pierre, Brigette) & Kermit, the Bugeye Sprite

Steve, those crumple grooves on the inner front fenders weren't added until sometime in 1970. My Feb '69 production car doesn't have 'em, and neither do any of the 68's I've seen. But my 73 (and all the model 71 cars I've seen) do have 'em.

They're deliberately designed weak spots so in an accident the front end will crumple in a controlled manner. Same with the notches in the hood. That's so the hood will fold in half, rather than punching through the windshield (and the driver or passenger) in a severe front end collision.

mike

Thanks, Mike,

Just to be clear, I'm not referring to the two transverse grooves or depressions -- the transverse ("crush zone") grooves in my '76 (Polaris) and '73 (Malaga over Inka) are shown below -- but to an extra longitudinal ridge on the inner fender that aligns with the upper strut mounts. This longitudinal ridge intersects the transverse grooves and points toward the upper strut mount -- see the photo below of the O.P.'s 1970 (Verona? over ?). Neither my '73 nor my '76 has this extra longitudinal ridge. What does that longitudinal ridge tell us about an '02's date?

Best regards,

Steve

post-41123-0-83960900-1456663164_thumb.j

post-41123-0-22573700-1456663182_thumb.j

post-41123-0-73611300-1456663229_thumb.j

Edited by Conserv

1976 2002 Polaris, 2742541 (original owner)

1973 2002tii Inka, 2762757 (not-the-original owner)

Well, as usual, I don't know all US specs. What I do know is that I've seen earlier 69s with longitudinal ridges and later 69s with crosswise grooves. There has never been a combination of both.

Maybe the PO of Jesse's car wanted to give it a more modern crash behaviour. So he tortured the fenders and removed the inside elements of the hood for easier ironing after an accident.

Have a look at the angled sheet metal holder for the brake fluid reservoir in the 70:

post-42081-0-98892000-1456648105.jpeg

There's a horizontal gap between the two welded lines. In Steve's 73 there isn't:

The gap disappeared together with the 6-fuse box.

Hen

post-42081-0-22461800-1456648218.jpeg

it appears that 2002s manufactured Jan-Feb 1970 had the single rib and the crossways cut-outs.

Cars with VINs around 1670900 and 1671940 had both.

I cannot find a pic of a 1600-2 with both. ie 1570587 had only the rib and 1570932 had only the cut-outs. There may have been a few 1600-2s with both?

Edited by 02Les

Les

FAQ Member #17

it appears that 2002s manufactured Jan-Feb 1970 had the single rib and the crossways cut-outs.

Cars with VINs around 1670900 and 1671940 had both.

I cannot find a pic of a 1600-2 with both. ie 1570587 had only the rib and 1570932 had only the cut-outs. There may have been a few 1600-2s with both?

Thank you, Les!

1976 2002 Polaris, 2742541 (original owner)

1973 2002tii Inka, 2762757 (not-the-original owner)

At this point, I think it may simply be easier to go with some hood pins, then the next problem would be how to keep the hood from sitting vertical. Right now I am missing the front grill, and with the hood the way it is now, that might explain why...

How do people with fiberglass hoods keep them from sitting vertical? I can only think of a rod with a hook on either end.. but a better solution may be a shock like I have on my e90..

At this point, I think it may simply be easier to go with some hood pins, then the next problem would be how to keep the hood from sitting vertical. Right now I am missing the front grill, and with the hood the way it is now, that might explain why...

How do people with fiberglass hoods keep them from sitting vertical? I can only think of a rod with a hook on either end.. but a better solution may be a shock like I have on my e90..

Here's the hood prop for my "Da Beater". I do have the latching arrg't, but no stays as I have fiberglass fenders.

post-32042-0-06201000-1456687473_thumb.j

post-32042-0-72443900-1456687474_thumb.j

Ingenious eh? Even gave it a part number. It tucks nicely away in the trunk when not required!

Les

FAQ Member #17

Not for use on windy days... 

EDIT, the day I wrote this it was windy here.  I have the car in a carport with a zip down/roll up end panel, that has a steel pipe at the bottom.  It came unrolled and was blowing around beating on my car and I could hear the noise inside my house.  Luckily I looked to see what it was.  The only damage is a small ding on the crisp edge of the hood, so I consider myself lucky.  The same day I left the hood up and it blew back down, onto the rotor, which was sitting on the 'shelf' in front of the windshield.  That caused a little chip in the paint/ ding that doesn't really show (and blends with the other 763 paint chips.  

Edited by '76Mintgrun'02