• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

FIRST 02' - A few simple questions

Jesse.Online
Go to solution Solved by Jesse.Online,

woah, that is insanley AWESOME.. I'll be sending out my info TODAY.

My car is a 1970. I'm also located in Austin TX, a few miles from Terry Sayther's shop. They do great work and I've taken my 335i to them many times.

attachicon.gifIMG_20160227_082733.jpg

attachicon.gifIMG_20160227_082743.jpg

I've uploaded a few better pictures to get an understanding of what I actually have.

Hey Jesse, glad to hear we have another 02 in the ATX!  There are a good number of us 02rs in the ATX area and have started getting together for an 02 Cars and Coffee once a month.  Our next C&C will be Saturday, March 12th.  We've had a pretty good turnout for the 2 we've had.  Look forward to meeting you!  I'll send you a pm so I can get your contact information.  There are about 11 of us that text regularly.   

"To my way of thinking, the 2002 is one of modern civilization's all-time best ways to get somewhere sitting down. - Car and Driver Magazine April,1968 

• 3 weeks later...

First off, Jesse, welcome!

I suspect where Henning is going on his comment relates to the extra "reinforcing ridge" on your car's inner fenders, which signify an early car. I see that you have a 6-fuse fuse box, so your car is relatively early by that standard -- I'm thinking the switch to a 12-fuse box was in 1971 -- but you've never told us the VIN or manufacturing date.

Well...one of the rites of passage here, at least from my perspective, is that you -- the newbie -- email your car's VIN to BMW Archives and request their archival data on the car (info.grouparchiv@bmwgroup.com). There is no cost. You generally receive a reply in one business day. Then you share that email with us, so:

1.) we all learn more about 2002's, and

2.) we can help you come up with an exhaustingly-long list of things that have been CHANGED on your car, since the day it was manufactured!

Your car appears to have a bracket for the later round -- not early "football-shaped" -- windshield washer reservoir, so it appears to be post-'67. So...post '67, but before the '71 changeover to 12-fuse fuse boxes. Reinforcing rib puts it early in that range, maybe '68?

Enjoy your new car

Regards,

Steve

Steve,

I tried to contact the BMW archives but got my emails returned, any other ideas?

• Solution

I was able to use alot of the resources provided in the thread to determine the parts I need and I'm missing.. It seems like the best thing might be to simply buy a new hood since I am missing not only the torsion bar & hinges, but also the mounting plates that go on the inside of the hood. 

So, does anybody have some other suggestions on a 3rd party route, using a hood strut or similar to hold the hood up? 

Steve,

I tried to contact the BMW archives but got my emails returned, any other ideas?

Jesse,

It appears to be presently working for others -- I haven't used it in a couple months. Are you certain you're typing:

info.grouparchiv@bmwgroup.com ?

There is no "e" on the embedded "archiv"!

I'm hoping the second time is the charm! If it bounces back again, give me the car's VIN and I'll give it a shot.

Steve

1976 2002 Polaris, 2742541 (original owner)

1973 2002tii Inka, 2762757 (not-the-original owner)

So, does anybody have some other suggestions on a 3rd party route, using a hood strut or similar to hold the hood up? 

Finding a good used hood will be your best solution, but I have an hood prop rod for use on those windy days.

http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_noss_1?url=search-alias%3Dautomotive&field-keywords=telescoping+hood+prop

John in VA

'74 tii "Juanita"  '85 535i "Goldie"  '86 535i "M-POSSTR"  

'03 530i "Titan"  '06 330ci "ZHPY"

bmw_spin.gif

Your PO cut out about 90% of the reinforcing metal that all the hood latch parts and braces used to be attached to. Easier to find another hood than to put all that back in, you'll need another hood to obtain the missing braces anyway. The two strips of 5 holes on the front brace near the hinges are probably spot welds that were drilled out to remove the front-to-back stiffeners. Definitely weight-reduced, though. Pins are looking easier all the time, at least temporarily while you sort out the rest of the car.

Jerry

no bimmer, for now

I made a prop rod out of some steel rod bent up but it attaches to everything your missing. I too think your going to need a new/used hood.

What's you direction for this car?

John

post-32034-0-66785900-1458306960_thumb.j

Fresh squeezed horseshoes and hand grenades

Your PO cut out about 90% of the reinforcing metal that all the hood latch parts and braces used to be attached to. Easier to find another hood than to put all that back in, you'll need another hood to obtain the missing braces anyway. The two strips of 5 holes on the front brace near the hinges are probably spot welds that were drilled out to remove the front-to-back stiffeners. Definitely weight-reduced, though. Pins are looking easier all the time, at least temporarily while you sort out the rest of the car.

apparently the PO thought it was a race car.. I would not want to drive a race car without a hood that closes.

I made a prop rod out of some steel rod bent up but it attaches to everything your missing. I too think your going to need a new/used hood.

What's you direction for this car?

John

The car will be a driver for about a year, then I'll revisit the direction, but just to eliminate the potential for further rust I may pick up a fiberglass hood.

Jesse,

It appears to be presently working for others -- I haven't used it in a couple months. Are you certain you're typing:

info.grouparchiv@bmwgroup.com ?

There is no "e" on the embedded "archiv"!

I'm hoping the second time is the charm! If it bounces back again, give me the car's VIN and I'll give it a shot.

Steve

Maybe they do not accept email from Gmail? I tried again and just  copied/pasted the address you provided.. I got the following response..

Delivery to the following recipient failed permanently:

grouparchiv@bmwgroup.com

Technical details of permanent failure:

Google tried to deliver your message, but it was rejected by the server for the recipient domain bmwgroup.com by mx1.bmw.c3s2.iphmx.com. [2620:101:200a:d100::D].

The error that the other server returned was:

550 #5.1.0 Address rejected.

Maybe they do not accept email from Gmail? I tried again and just copied/pasted the address you provided.. I got the following response..

Jesse,

Please send me the VIN and I'll try it.

(In the automated response, I don't see "info." immediately preceding "grouparchiv" but perhaps that got stripped off only in the automated response.)

Regards,

Steve

Edited by Conserv

1976 2002 Polaris, 2742541 (original owner)

1973 2002tii Inka, 2762757 (not-the-original owner)