• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Wurth's Metallic Silver

Stuart

All -

Every thread I've read says that Wurth's metallic silver is the right "factory" color for a stock rim on a 73 with the a nice set of chrome hubcaps.  How "metallic" is the finish as I'm not sue that the factory finish was metallic?

Stuart  

I use Rustoleum V7715 Aluminum which looks very silver out of the can and then clear coat it which dulls it down to better match the factory stock rim color.  You could also try their Dull Aluminum which will give you a darker grey when clear coated to give you a nice contrast against the chrome hubcaps.

If you use the Wurth metallic silver, you may need to clear coat it to match the factory color as well.

Good luck,

Mark92131

1970 BMW 1600 (Nevada)

Stuart,

Check out these pics of what a paint job using Wurth silver paint will look like on aftermarket wheels.

http://www.my2002tii.com/july_2001.htm

I have a set of the same exact 15X7 ET 26 MSW wheels in my parts stash (see below pic) . My MSW wheels are painted a gun metal gray and I want them to look like the silver wheels that Keith painted in the above link. My plan is to put the MSW wheels on my E30, the bottlecaps have got to go.

G-Man

post-32299-0-02499700-1456710340_thumb.j

74 tii (many mods)
91 318i M42

07 4Runner

The "dull aluminum" spray paint mentioned above is a Krylon product, not Rustoleum.  Used with their clear coat it looks very much like the original silver paint that the factory applied.  I still have a couple of roundie wheels with their original paint in nice shape, and they match well with the Krylon.  The Krylon is also good for the factory alloys too, when clear coated.

cheers

mike 

'69 Nevada sunroof-Wolfgang-bought new
'73 Sahara sunroof-Ludwig-since '78
'91 Brillantrot 318is sunroof-Georg Friederich 
Fiat Topolini (Benito & Luigi), Renault 4CVs (Anatole, Lucky Pierre, Brigette) & Kermit, the Bugeye Sprite

Krylon Dull Aluminum when clear-coated will look like the Chromodora Wheel, Rustoleum Aluminum will look like the 325i Bottlecap when clear-coated.  The Dull Aluminum from Amazon you referenced is what I have used in the past.

Mark92131

post-33686-0-76113300-1456767446_thumb.j

post-33686-0-59801200-1456767455_thumb.j

1970 BMW 1600 (Nevada)

I too have had great results using the Krylon Dull Aluminum combined with the Krylon Clear.  I would not recommend using the Wurth clear wheel paint as a clear coat.  I painted some Ronal wheels and clear coated them using the Wurth clear wheel paint.  The clear coat yellowed after only about a year.  I now need to redo the paint on the wheels because of the yellowed out clear coat.  On the other hand, I painted my stock steel wheels with Krylon Dull aluminum and Krylon clear many years ago and it has never yellowed.  Just my $.02,

John

'73tii Inka 🍊

'74tii Fjord 🏄‍♂️