• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Wondering why BMW decided to go with center exhaust?

Oregon2002

It was a cost savings,most people don't realize that bean counters consider ten cents saved per unit at several steps of production really adds up. Why put another bend in a pipe if it really isn't necessary. May have saved additional hanger AND the labor to install it.

Gary

1968 1600

Sahara 

The Turbos switched to center exhaust somewhere between chassis 450-500 from what I have seen (#438 was side and #527 was center I have seen the cars)

I have many pics of Turbos and the centre v right side exhaust exit is completely up in the air.

ie #298, 352, 583, 633, 895, 971 and 1365 are all right side

#386, 497, 634, 772, 1431 are all centre exit.

It could be that some cars had new lower rear valances fitted, but, this many???

The Blue parts book shows a part # number change for the rear Turbo exhaust section at 4291212, but what that change was I do not know.

As for non-USA '02s, they retained the right side exit exhaust (except the Touring, which was always left exit, & Turbo).

Edited by 02Les

Les

'74 '02 - Jade Touring (RHD)

'76 '02 - Delk's "Da Beater"

FAQ Member #17

....As for non-USA '02s, they retained the right side exit exhaust (except the Touring, which was always left exit, & Turbo).

Fully explains why the "ghost" remained!

Thanks,

Steve

1976 2002 Polaris, 2742541 (original owner)

1973 2002tii Inka, 2762757 (not-the-original owner)

The factory changed to center exhaust because of the high heat under the valance. This caused corrosion and a hot spot on gas tank. The later smogged engines produced more heat a change had to happen. The ghost was not a change as this was how the original stampings we're produced the right side hole was punched out by the factory after stamping the rear piece. Read this years ago. McCarthys book?

Happy Trails to u~ Dave Miller
76 Golf~Rhiannon~BM Mascot~*~97 328is~Silver Ghost~*~68 1600~Wisperin Beast~*~70-02~Bumble Beast~*~76 02~Beast~

Keep smilin all the way

The factory changed to center exhaust because of the high heat under the valance. This caused corrosion and a hot spot on gas tank. The later smogged engines produced more heat a change had to happen. The ghost was not a change as this was how the original stampings we're produced the right side hole was punched out by the factory after stamping the rear piece. Read this years ago. McCarthys book?

wow!! Thank you kind sir!! Thank you to all of you guys for all your input!! This has helped me out a ton!!!

As 02Les already mentioned, all non-turbo European 02's - regardless of engine and year of production - maintained the exhaust exit on the right.  Well, of course except for the touring which had it exitting on the left.
This obviously explains the "ghost".

As for those Turbo's, while I have no fail-proof documentation, I have heard from a group of German hardcore Turbo enthusiasts, that only the last 400 produced Turbo's had the center exhaust exit.  The previous 1272 all had the exhaust exitting on the right.  But you know how it goes... with less numbers produced with center exit, this quickly becomes what everybody wants.  Hence, many of those first 1272 examples have since been "modified" to be sporting a center exit exhaust.
But again, this could just be hearsay...

O==00==O
With BMW-Regards,
Anders.

As for those Turbo's, while I have no fail-proof documentation, I have heard from a group of German hardcore Turbo enthusiasts, that only the last 400 produced Turbo's had the center exhaust exit.  

Aha, maybe that was the change noted in the parts manual at 4291212. Perhaps the last 460 had centre exit.

Les

'74 '02 - Jade Touring (RHD)

'76 '02 - Delk's "Da Beater"

FAQ Member #17

The factory changed to center exhaust because of the high heat under the valance. This caused corrosion and a hot spot on gas tank. The later smogged engines produced more heat a change had to happen. 

I don't know if moving the tailpipe to the center is going to do much to alleviate heat build up...the muffler is in the same place, only the tailpipe moves to the center.

This is what it looks like

No - that's what the tail pipe looks like.  Anything could be under the car!  We need pix of the underside.

John in VA

'74 tii "Juanita"  '85 535i "Goldie"  '86 535i "M-POSSTR"  

'03 530i "Titan"  '06 330ci "ZHPY"

bmw_spin.gif

I don't know if moving the tailpipe to the center is going to do much to alleviate heat build up...the muffler is in the same place, only the tailpipe moves to the center.

There is a heat shield along the gas tank in the center (even on earlier cars).  They would have needed an additional heat shield along the section leading out towards the side exit.  Easier to just go out the center.  (And we have no restrictions on center exit unlike some Nordic countries at the time)