• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Shipping, what is a reasonable time to wait?

joysterm

I have been a member of this site for just a few years now and during that time I have sold a number of parts with the primary intention to get them turned around and into the hands of those who I have had the pleasure in dealing with. In most, but I realize not all occasions, I have been able to do that well within a reasonable amount of time. I define that as being within 5 days of the purchase,  if timeline was longer I have tried to let the buyer know that up front.

As a buyer I have never ran into a problem with those members  who I have bought from. There was never a concern about trust. Something that I feel defines this site and those who share information and ideas so freely. That said , I fear that feeling may have changed to a degree.

My issue is this, last week I made a commitment to purchase parts from a member , Feb. 27th to be specific. In a subsequent PM I asked a couple of questions related to the sale the following day. I made the PP payment (as a friend... bad mistake) Saturday, 28th despite no reply from the seller.  

Since that date I have sent a few of messages asking for both a confirmation of payment and a delivery date. I did receive a vague response indicating that he would be shipping before the end of the week, "for sure". Since that March 2nd response.......crickets,  despite a number of messages sent  to him this weekend. I know that he has read them.

My question is to those out there is,  how much time is reasonable to wait before I start to get "really" pissed off about this issue.  I am beginning to feel I have already past that threshold...or is my ass out a mile here?

Your feedback will be very much appreciated.

Thanks,

Mike 

• Administrators

For most people selling parts on the forum is not a business and thus real life does take over once in a while.  i have been guilty of shipping delays here. At this moment, it has only been a week since your payment.   A couple weeks is probably a reasonable time to wait without getting frustrated.  If you truly needed that part this weekend, it would have been a good idea to indicate that to the seller. 

If the part is coming from US to you you in Canada, that becomes a bit more complicated since now the seller has to find the time to get to the Post Office to drop of international shipments. 

Steve K.

P.S. Never use "Friends" payment through PayPal unless you are actually paying friends. that additional 3% is well worth the insurance of being able to get your money back. 

Get your 2002 FAQ merchandise from 2002FAQ Store

On February 29 I sent a member a $25 gifted payment for a part. In the PayPal notice and the immediate follow-up email I very clearly asked for confirmation of shipment with my address in both communications. I heard noting. On Friday I followed up with an email asking for a response. My intent was to give him an opportunity to respond in two days. If not I would summarize my experience in the feedback thread. The $25 doesn't matter to me. My disappointment is that it is the first time after many purchases on 2002FAQ that someone did not honor their obligation. The two days have passed. His name is Naif Alyamani (member ID is "Ohtwotii") and given the timing I am sharing his name here in case you dealt with the same individual. I hope not and perhaps Mr. Alyamani has been consumed by other priorities. I consider, however, that seven days with zero or even negligible communication is enough. I will be posting this on the feedback thread as well.

I will not in the future be buying from new members or members without positive feedback and paying as a friend. 

Edited by Hynrgee

For most people selling parts on the forum is not a business and thus real life does take over once in a while.  i have been guilty of shipping delays here. At this moment, it has only been a week since your payment.   A couple weeks is probably a reasonable time to wait without getting frustrated.  If you truly needed that part this weekend, it would have been a good idea to indicate that to the seller. 

If the part is coming from US to you you in Canada, that becomes a bit more complicated since now the seller has to find the time to get to the Post Office to drop of international shipments. 

Steve K.

P.S. Never use "Friends" payment through PayPal unless you are actually paying friends. that additional 3% is well worth the insurance of being able to get your money back. 

Just to clarify my situation further, I have a US mailing address that I use. I never have anything mailed  across the border  it is a PITA,  both ways for that matter, and Yes I have learned a valuable lesson here about that "friends" option....once bitten, twice shy will apply.

On February 29 I sent a member a $25 gifted payment for a part. In the PayPal notice and the immediate follow-up email I very clearly asked for confirmation of shipment with my address in both communications. I heard noting. On Friday I followed up with an email asking for a response. My intent was to give him an opportunity to respond in two days. If not I would summarize my experience in the feedback thread. The $25 doesn't matter to me. My disappointment is that it is the first time after many purchases on 2002FAQ that someone did not honor their obligation. The two days have passed. His name is Naif Alyamani (member ID is "Ohtwotii") and given the timing I am sharing his name here in case you dealt with the same individual. I hope not and perhaps Mr. Alyamani has been consumed by other priorities. I consider, however, that seven days with zero or even negligible communication is enough. I will be posting this on the feedback thread as well.

I will not in the future be buying from new members or members without positive and paying as a friend. 

....well well well isn't that a coincidence,  the same date .....hopefully its not the same part.

Why not give us a name ?

We are all family here and if your wrong, your wrong

regardless which one of you it is.

Either your impatient or he's dragging his feet ( at this point).

If it is a fraud all will be revealed .

His name is mentioned by another forum member( see above) who has been waiting longer than I with  at least two others in the same boat as I . If there is a  perception of impatience,  so be it but I have come to learn it is far better to wait  to gain all the facts before you pull the trigger than to learn them after the bullet has left the breach. When appropriate I will be happy to share that information, both good and bad.

Edited by joysterm

If its someone I know here and is active here, I will send the money as a gift.  If its not, then sorry, its sent as a purchase.  For $25, I'd even send $27 as a purchase and eat the fee for peace of mind.  I have never been burned for anything here and bought lots of parts.  The only time something never arrived, the money was refunded and I was told to send the money if t ever arrived, it never did and I got th apart from somewhere else.  If you are offering up something for sale, my thought is you are READY to sell it.  Not you have to pull the part, its at the other house, its in storage, your buddy storage, your wife's father'r house, etc...so 2 days after payment is what I expect a reasonable shipping time to be.  I always ship anything I sell the day I receive payment or the next day.  Period.  Again, if something else happens. out of town, family emergency, etc, then reply to an email and explain, that takes all of 30 seconds.  

1976 BMW 2002 Fjord Blue Ireland Stage II • Bilstein Sports • Ireland Headers • Weber 38 • 292 Cam • 9.5:1 Pistons • 123Tune Bluetooth 15" BBS

2018 BMW M550i X-Drive

1964 Volvo Amazon Wagon
http://www.project2002.com