• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Shipping, what is a reasonable time to wait?

joysterm

Oh, really????  Hmmmm....

Take a look over at R3v.  If it turns out to be true,

THEY'LL root him out and call his momma!

odd, tho...

t

"I learn best through painful, expensive experience, so I feel like I've gotten my money's worth." MattL

"... so 2 days after payment is what I expect a reasonable shipping time to be"

Really?

Some people have a life. Some people leave away from a post office. Some people may have to search for the proper carboard box to ship safely. Most people do not necessarily ship within two days. Those who want a fast service can buy from a business. But then again, they may have to wait for a few days or weeks if the part is not in stock.

BTW A wise buyer NEVER sends "gifted payment". This is asking for trouble.  :D

Edited by Lee

Massivescript_specs.jpg

Brake harder. Go faster.

Really?

Some people have a life. Some people leave away from a post office. Some people may have to search for the proper carboard box to ship safely. Most people do not necessarily ship within two days. .

Really!!

If your selling a part, having a box already to hand should be logical. I'm pretty sure there is a post office within easy reach of most people.

If a business does not have a part in stock, they will tell you (email) so you know and not leave you in the dark........at least that's my experience with the Companies I use.

Perhaps you work differently with your business?

Les

'74 '02 - Jade Touring (RHD)

'76 '02 - Delk's "Da Beater"

FAQ Member #17

I have been selling on here for many years, and as a best practice, I don't even post up until I am ready to box it after the pics and drive it to the PO.  Unless it is fiberglass parts that I have to make, its out the door within 24 hours. 

I have shipped to Canada many times, as recently as last week.  its not that hard.  And always put 12$ on the valuation.. seems flawless. 

90% of the time I take payments as 'friend or family', and some of the payments have been in the quadruple digits, where 3-4% becomes real money..  and in all the years of my business dealings, not one person has been jilted. In a past life, I was highly trained in customer service, and I am hyper-aware. 

Point is, if they have minimal posts, vet them hard.  And don't slam the door shut on the personal transactions just yet.  We aren't all bad. 

2002 newbie, and dead serious about it.
(O=o00o=O)
Smart Audio Products for your 2002

There is NO excuse for not communicating,  If you are selling you should be checking your e-mail a couple times a day and hitting reply.  Keep the buyer informed if "life happens".

Gary

1968 1600

Sahara 

I would like to thank all who have weighed in on this topic. I agree with most of the comments shared here although how I paid for this parts has little to do with the topic in my opinion. I take full responsibility for that and have learned a very valuable lesson as a result of this transaction.

The important take away for me is the communication required to make both the buyer and seller whole. The more information that can be shared or exchanged, the better for all parties concerned. Moreover it takes no effort, when it breaks down  someone is going to be affected.

In my case this buyer has made a conscious decision to duck this responsibility. As a result he no longer gets a mulligan. He has had ample opportunity to make this go away with a few simple key strokes,  If he can take time to check his messages and NOT respond to any of mine r that appear on his screen, then he has crossed that line of "life issues" vs. fraud,  in my view.

It is now over a week since a meaningful exchange with the seller, longer for at least two other members who are experiencing much of the same treatment form the same seller. Is this a trend...I hope not. Since starting this thread  I continued to make attempts for information. That will stop today since he has once again taken some time from what I sumise is a"very busy" schedule to check his PM's without responding. I guess one could liken his actions much like a fisherman checking his lines to see what he has on the line....but I digress.

So, the seller, his handle is "Ohtwotii" Mr. Naif Alymani claims to live in Washington State, he has active posts....if you care to make a donation to his pension fund you can do so at naif.m.y@gmail.com. 

Thanks again for you input.

Mike

Dear Mike

What if the seller had shipped and then went for vacations? Have you thought of that before ranting? I doubt he will stare at his laptop for the next days waiting for you to contact him. Or better. Maybe he scammed you, as you agreed to pay as a gift.

Anyway, as you are purchasing used parts from an individual who's life doesn't revolve around shipping stuff, delays shall be expected when dealing at this "private" level. No biggie.

Just stop your ranting. ;-)

Lee

Massivescript_specs.jpg

Brake harder. Go faster.

At the risk of starting a pissing contest my "rant" was and still surrounds the lack of communication which includes a delivery date. Yes I have considered all the possibilities as to the why.  However as stated,  he read my messages and chose not to respond. So any excuse not to offer a quick update does not fly in my book.

Oh BTW......the seller just contacted me, that is all I wanted out of the exercise. With that, as the one starting this debate  I consider this issue over. I trust others will as well.

Thanks

+1 Toby

Edited by joysterm

There is NO excuse for not communicating,  If you are selling you should be checking your e-mail a couple times a day and hitting reply.  Keep the buyer informed if "life happens".

For all of this discussion, I believe this is the crux of this discussion. If you are selling, just respond and let us know there is or will be, a delay. For whatever reason.

For the record, I have bought items from other members and have always used "friends" and have had no problems.(user "the Nomad" even refunded extra shipping to me! :) )

However, from this thread, I will be more cautious in the future and research the member a little more. I am so new to the site that I did not know about the Feedback 

section. I will be adding my own on all of my past purchases(all good experiences, by the way).

Thanks Joysterm for a great topic and resulting discussion!

Philip

Life is short, enjoy the ride!
L'Ultimo Ciclista, 200Km race, Nove Colli 2012

1976 Mint Grun

Philip

Really?

Some people have a life. Some people leave away from a post office. Some people may have to search for the proper carboard box to ship safely. Most people do not necessarily ship within two days. Those who want a fast service can buy from a business. But then again, they may have to wait for a few days or weeks if the part is not in stock.

BTW A wise buyer NEVER sends "gifted payment". This is asking for trouble.  :D

When I sell something thats what I do.  I also OVER communicate.  If I give you money, I expect the decency to get the part in a reasonable amount of time because you posted something for sale.  Also when I pay, usually the conversation has been had as to when to expect shipment.  I don't ASSUME anything.  If a seller says they are on vacation or won't be able to send out for a few days, then thats fine.  Its all about the seller giving the proper expectation.  As a seller here and on eBay I do exactly that.  Setup the proper expectation and follow through with that and all will be well.  My dealing with you Lee were nothing but great!  I don't think I have had many bad transactions here as most people communicate very well.  The only time it wasn't shipped quickly was when it was being made and I was emailed constantly.  I think waiting 2 weeks to see if it was even shipped is not great to do to your fellow 2002 "family" member.  

1976 BMW 2002 Fjord Blue Ireland Stage II • Bilstein Sports • Ireland Headers • Weber 38 • 292 Cam • 9.5:1 Pistons • 123Tune Bluetooth 15" BBS

2018 BMW M550i X-Drive

1964 Volvo Amazon Wagon
http://www.project2002.com

Communication is the key. In my line of work I am responsible for hiring and overseeing a lot of contractors, multi-millions of dollars a year. The best way for them to never be hired by me again is to have poor communication skills. Hands down my biggest pet peeve..

(1973 Fjord Blue 037) Vin 2588314- Build date February 6th, 1973- delivered to Hoffman Motors NYC February 8th.

I wanted to weigh in on this earlier, but I had a very strange dealing with this seller myself. I purchased the "new" parts from him, paid via the purchase choice since I didn't know him, and less than a day later he refunded my money stating he didn't have the part? Wtf was the picture of then I wondered? He had since posted other items that I wanted but it just didn't add up for me so I just passed. I am only putting this out there for you guys to do what you will with, but I did think things were a little fishy with him. I just pay the PayPal fee nowadays unless it is someone that I am familiar with.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

1969 2002 Granada, 2nd owner

1976 2002 Fjordblau (sold)

A few too many steering wheels

If you're going to sell, then you have to be ready to do the work. I've sold things here and have sold quite a bit in the past for e30 parts. It's not always easy to sell and pack and ship and you have to deal with expectations of buyers etc. If you want to sell you bear the burden of evidence in keeping promises. Lack of communication is a red flag but can be solved quickly if there was an unforeseen event. 

On the buyers end you obviously have to do your due diligence. If you feel an amount is high enough to need buyers protection then get it.  If the seller seems shady then walk. I've bought all my used parts from FAQ members once I bought my car in January. I also received help from members in checking out cars to purchase. I took the chance and it worked. I've been burned as a buyer and a seller though so I know the risks.

I just got the classic scam on Ebay selling a valvecover. I sent the good one, he asked for a refund and said it was cracked... and sent his old cracked one to me. Ebay always sides with the buyer and I was told there was nothing they could do. Out the money and the part...

Not blaming the OP, it sucks that it happened. Call Paypal and see what they can do. Report him. 

Ban the scumbag seller.