• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Previous owner had an external temp gauge, he ran a blue wire from the temp sending unit into the car. I am wanting to reconnect it to just the gauge cluster, but I can't for the life of me find out where the blue line from the sending unit is supposed to go. Any help? I have scoured the forums looking for my answer, but can't find it. Thank you so much. And HOORAY MY CARPET KIT FROM ESTY COMES IN TODAY!!!! Woo!

Blake Nelson

503-819-9657

Pacific Northwest (Portland)

1976 2002 - 1981 320i

I would assume prior owner terminated original wire close to sending unit,

hope it's right there and easy to find.

Assuming your original temp gauge works is another matter

Often, adding a ground wire to back of instrument cluster

can help or fix "jumping" temp gauge and/or gas gauge

I've always attached to one of the brass grommets and other end to chassis nearby

Nut (fka weevil)

My Claim To Fame - Worked On Harmon Fisher's Car !!! Yes the infamous 2002 F !!!

# 1 72 '02 Malaga, # 2 72 '02 Colorado, # 3 72 '02 Blue, # 4 72 '02 Malaga, # 5 72 tii, # 6 68 1602, # 17 68/76 '02 Custom Red, # 28 74 '02 Brown Metallic, 72 3.0 Csi, 73 3.0Csi, 80 735 Euro, 728 Parts Car

I have seen that some people use the 2 nuts on the back, and attach a lead to the dash. I dont know what they are for, they're on the back of the tach I believe, nothing is attached to them. I'll try to send a picture. I have the wire attached to the sending unit,, that's not the issue. That wire goes through the firewall into my car, but is just laying there. Where does the other end of the wire (the sending unit is next to the carburator on top of the car, that's plugged in) go? Sorry if I am being confusing. I have scoured through my haynes manual and through the forums, but I can't find where the other end plugs in. I will also add another ground, i wanted to do this anyway.

Blake Nelson

503-819-9657

1976 2002 - 1981 320i

If you looked at an electrical schematic--the thermometer sensor uses a brown/white wire which runs from the sensor to either the 12 pin instrument panel plug (back of instrument panel) or an intermediate 5 pin plug terminal (before connecting to the instrument panel plug). Look at the electrical schematics in your Haynes manual for your appropriate model. Look for the sensors numbered either 14 or 26 and follow those leads. The blue line is not original and is useless to trace. I assume you are talking about the water temp gauge?

Edited by nbcbird

I see, so they probably cut the old one and I have to find it. I didn't think of this. Grrr, i'm sure it's in the 12pin somewhere. Thank you NBC (yes i made the NBC TV sound when i wrote that....).

Blake Nelson

503-819-9657

1976 2002 - 1981 320i

I love all of you guys. These cars are relatively simple, but this forum makes them so much more fun and enjoyable to DIY'ers. I will check it out and I appreciate all of the input. If anyone has any legal queations, feel free to ask. :)

Sent from my SM-G928V using Tapatalk

Blake Nelson

503-819-9657

1976 2002 - 1981 320i

Simply go to the bundle of wire that ends at the connector plug to the panel and look for a brown/white wire--that is the temperature gauge sensor wire (should be at about the 1 o'clock position looking at the schematic). You said that you are looking for the termination point, right? I am assuming that no one has messed up the wiring harness with the connector.

Edited by nbcbird

As "mlytle" said, start at the sensor end first. The prev owner may just have unplugged the original wire and it's hangin' there. If not, then go to the cluster connection.

Les

'74 '02 - Jade Touring (RHD)

'76 '02 - Delk's "Da Beater"

FAQ Member #17