• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Announcing My New Book, "The Hack Mechanic Guide to European Automotive Electrical Systems"

(I'm going to use my 2002FAQ free spin card to announce my new book. I hope that's okay. After this post, I'll switch to paid advertising. The link to pre-order the book is http://www.bentleypublishers.com/automotive-reference/automotive-reference/hack-mechanic-guide-to-european-automotive-electrical-systems.html. The coupon code for 35% off list is "FriendOfRob")

cv_bhme.jpg

My friends, I can finally answer the question about what I've been working on for the past 15 months at Bentley Publishers. I am proud to announce my new book, "The Hack Mechanic Guide to European Automotive Electrical Systems." Although the word "European" is in the title, and some things ARE European-specific, the book covers much of what you need to know to work on the electrical system of ANY vintage or modern internal combustion car. 

There is a LOT of 2002-appropriate content in this book. In fact, I used my '72tii (and my Bavaria) as the subject car for much of the battery, ignition, alternator, and fuse box sections.

The book opens with battery basics -- why a fully-charged battery reads 12.6 volts and not 12V, why, when the alternator is charging it, the battery should read about 14V, and how to use a multimeter to test for these conditions so you can know whether a jump-start or a new battery will save you or whether the car will die again in a mile unless you replace the alternator as well.

It then teaches you about how electricity works in a car, telling you enough about circuits and Ohm's Law to let you calculate how much current actually flows through a short circuit so you can understand why wires melt when there's no load device in the circuit to add resistance.

Following that are detailed practical hands-on chapters on how to use a multimeter to troubleshoot common automotive electrical problems related to the alternator, ignition system, and relays present in all cars, including a chapter on finding parasitic drains that can cause the battery to run down overnight.

The book then steps into the modern world and discusses computers, buses, and control modules, OBD-II, the difference between code readers and scan tools, the dynamic analog signals (sine waves and square waves) used by modern sensors, and the tools needed to detect and measure those signals (automotive multimeters and oscilloscopes).

The book closes with eleven detailed chapters on how to test sensors in newer cars such as oxygen sensors, cam and crankshaft position sensors, and wheel speed (ABS) sensors.

The link to pre-order the book is http://www.bentleypublishers.com/automotive-reference/automotive-reference/hack-mechanic-guide-to-european-automotive-electrical-systems.html.

AND... I have a promotional code for you, my friends, good for 35% off list price. The code is -- and I cannot fully convey the depth of my love for this -- FriendOfRob (case not important, but if I write it here without case capitalization, it looks like "friend-o-frob"). The code will be valid for a while, but not indefinitely.

So be a FriendOfRob (or a "friend-o-frob"), pre-order the book, and never have to lose sleep wondering how to measure voltage drop again!

Edited by thehackmechanic

The new book The Best Of The Hack Mechanic available at https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/0998950742, inscribed copies of all books available at www.robsiegel.com

1972 tii (Louie), 1973 2002 (Hampton), 1975 ti tribute (Bertha), 1972 Bavaria, 1973 3.0CSi, 1979 Euro 635CSi, 1999 Z3, 1999 M Coupe, 2003 530i sport, 1974 Lotus Europa Twin Cam Special (I know, I know...)

That's brilliant, Rob- that's a book that's been needed for a long time.

Do you have a chapter on how to get the smoke back in? 

hee

t

"I learn best through painful, expensive experience, so I feel like I've gotten my money's worth." MattL

Ah yes, the Lucas "Replacement Wiring Harness Smoke." Generally not interchangeable with German smoke. It's old smoke. The war, you know. There's still bad blood. 

lucas_smoke1.jpg

The new book The Best Of The Hack Mechanic available at https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/0998950742, inscribed copies of all books available at www.robsiegel.com

1972 tii (Louie), 1973 2002 (Hampton), 1975 ti tribute (Bertha), 1972 Bavaria, 1973 3.0CSi, 1979 Euro 635CSi, 1999 Z3, 1999 M Coupe, 2003 530i sport, 1974 Lotus Europa Twin Cam Special (I know, I know...)

Ordered one! I'm looking forward to it. Hopefully I'll be able to get this one signed at an event to match your other book!

Too bad it won't be out in time for me to help diagnose why my engine temperature guage jumps up and down with the turn signal.

Rob, very nice, I just placed my order.  And ordered your Memoirs book too.  Thanks for keeping me entertained and educated! 

Bob

BMWCCA #4844 (#297 of The 308)

1974 2002 Sahara, MM 2400 Rally engine, MM 5 speed and conversion

1976 2002A Anthracite parts car

1991 525i AlpinweiB II

2002 330ci AlpinweiB III

2007 530xiT Titanium Silver

Hi, Rob just finihed to read 'Memoirs of a Hack Mechanic 'and I liked it!!! So I just use the pre order for your new book 'guide to European Automotive Electrical Systems 'I will thank you for the promotional code !!!

Just place my pre-order..

Thank You again !

Pierre

Hi, Rob just finihed to read 'Memoirs of a Hack Mechanic 'and I liked it!!! So I just use the pre order for your new book 'guide to European Automotive Electrical Systems 'I will thank you for the promotional code !!!

Just place my pre-order..

Thank You again !

Pierre

• Administrators

Does it explain on why anyone on the right mind would try to do a positive ground car?

And also why disconnecting a tachometer from the coil on the Triumph would allow the car to start. :)

I am glad you got another book. I just need to figure out how to get the one i have autographed/

steve k.

Get your 2002 FAQ merchandise from 2002FAQ Store

Hey, Steve K., I do actually answer one of those questions but not the other.

While researching the book, I stumbled upon a great book, "Classic British Car Electrical Systems" by Rick Astley (no, not THAT Rick Astley). See http://www.amazon.com/Classic-British-Electrical-Systems-understanding/dp/1845842154. In it, he actually answers the question about the history of positive ground, though I can't remember the answer off the top of my head.

But, regarding the tach, in the ignition troubleshooting section of my book, I say that, on nearly every vintage car, the tach gets its signal from the DIN "1" or "-" terminal of the coil, which is also the terminal that is receiving the trigger signal of the ignition points. It's an old troubleshooting trick, when you're having what appear to be ignition problems, to look at the tach and see what it's doing. If, when the car stumbles, the tach drops to zero along with the stumble, it likely means that the coil itself isn't firing. I had this happen with my Bavaria, and it turned out the condenser screw on the side of the distributor was loose, so the path to ground for the primary circuit was intermittent.

But the point is that if the tach itself is bad, particularly if it's shorted to ground, it can pull the whole ignition down with it. This is why I say that, in the book, if the coil is being fed 12 V on the DIN terminal "15" side, and if the points are electrically and mechanically opening and closing, but there's no spark, before you throw away the coil, try disconnecting the tach.

--Rob

Rob,

Just placed a pre-order, thanks for the promotional code.

Looking forward to giving the book a good read.

Ken

1975 non-purist driver M42 Turbo, Hurricane a/c, and all sorts of cool stuff

1976 2002 sold, 1970 2002 sold, 1969 1600 sold

Hey Rob,

That's beyond neat; super-cool!

Just placed a pre-order (thx for the code).

If it's half as good as Hack Mech Memoirs (which I loved), it'll be excellent.

Good luck; I hope it's wildly successful.

-Bob

-Bob
(current: 1972 Malaga 2002, VIN 2584644, build date July 26, 1972)

Previous: 1973 Sahara 2002 #2585896 (RIP), 1969 1600, 1971 2002, 1964 Triumph Herald convertible, 1965 Triumph Herald convertible, 1961 Triumph TR3A, 1967 Triumph TR4A-irs, 1959 Austin Healey 100/6, and about 10 other cars (most of which were quite boring)...

• 3 weeks later...

Just ordered my copy. Thank you for the use of the code can't wait to get it and put it to the test because I can make a box of rocks look smart and have massive issues as well as the electrical to deal with. Who knows after the read I may find out that I don't have a big electrical issue. Looking forward to it.

Slowly building a $20,000 $4000 car

If it "ran when parked" you wouldn't have parked it!